IGNORED

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

moycon

Do ghosts have flesh?

I bought this last night.

Only played a quick 5 minute game and snagged 4 achievements. Clearly not much of a challenge in the achievement department, although neither was the last one from what I remember. I'll admit the game was a ton of fun. I know I barely scratched the surface of this game playing for 5 minutes. Looking forward to trying it out some more today.

BTW, Nice score Gabriel, you're top on my friends list. I'd say out of about 8 people. Good job.

I find that more often than not the time slowing down thing helps me because pac-man missed a turn or turned the wrong way. That "feature" ends up seeming more like a creative way around terrible controls. It does help quite a bit with cheap deaths though and I thank them for that.

I agree. It's probably a workaround for the speed of the game and the loose maneuvering. However, I think it's a really cool workaround that ends up enhancing the experience. Pac-Man is like Neo and can activate "Pellet-Time". :D

That "feature" ends up seeming more like a creative way around terrible controls.

I see it more of a way to keep the game going at blistering speeds 40+

I know for sure if it was turned off, I'd die a dozen times in a game at that point.

I have no issue with the controls early on.

Not to detract the thread, but we were talking about the new game and someone told me I'm not even ranked on the original Pacman CE at all. I was like sure I am.... But lo and behold he was right!!.. ALL THE SCORES HAVE BEEN DELETED!!

This is what is used to be not all that long ago (I took this pic maybe 2 or 3 months ago).

Pacman.jpg

But this is what I see today!

pacman2.jpg

Seriously.. W T F :x :x :x :x :x Does anybody else see something similar?

A question: can you map the controls? I hear Pac-man can drop bombs in this game and while that sounds awesome, I intend to play this game by holding my controller's thumbstick like a mini-joystick with my finger and thumb. If I do that though my right hand will be pretty much occupied controlling him and I won't easily be able to also hit a button for dropping bombs unless I can nudge the shoulder buttons or something.

For what it's worth I have a PS3 so I have to wait till next week for this game to come out. I have already practiced on the dual shock controller to see if I can hold it like a mini-old-school-joystick and I can. I have heard XBox owners say they wish their thumbsticks were grippable like what I am doing.

Maybe they reset the boards every now and again?

No clue really. That is kinda lame for sure. If they do at the very least they could include a monthly board and an all time board.

Yeah, they did this for Raiden Fighters Aces, too. Would be nice if they sent a PM to ranking players informing them that they were wiped. Many people seem to not find out until well after the fact. :|

Speaking of scoring in the new Pac-Man, maybe I will pick it up tomorrow (Payday!). I plan on buying Guwange anyway, so I can snag this while I'm at it. Would like to have some scores here to compare to as well. :)

Maybe they reset the Leaderboard to due "hacked" scores.

Example: I play Pixel Junk Monsters and had a very good round the other day. I checked the leaderboards to see where I ranked and out of 50,000, I was number 2,000 and something. The entire list had scores ranging in the 10,000 to 15,000 point range for that level but the two top scores were over 2 million, an impossible feat.

While my example was only for a couple scores, maybe the Pac-Man leaderboards had many more hack's and those in charge felt a total re-wiping was in order.

I agree with Moycon, sort of lame to at least not post something about a resetting of the scoreboard.

Mendon

That "feature" ends up seeming more like a creative way around terrible controls.

I see it more of a way to keep the game going at blistering speeds 40+

I know for sure if it was turned off, I'd die a dozen times in a game at that point.

I have no issue with the controls early on.

I think you're actually right.

I picked this up earlier today and ended up playing it for nearly two hours. Crazy. It's quite addicting, and the slowdown system whenever you get near the enemy is very, very nice. You can purposely get near an enemy just to give you more time to plan your route or to wait and see if a ghost is turning, so you know whether to bomb or not. From what I can tell, this version is a quite a nice step above the original CE!

Regarding d-pad issues, I don't notice it at speed 40, but once I get to 50, my movement is very erratic. I think when I get home from work in the morning I am going to use one of the Hori sticks I have (Probably should have done this right from the start).

I dove in head first into this game. Which is weird, because I am not really a Pac-man fan. They really did this game right. As of last night, 151st overall. I am "WLS Zoyx" if you want to add me to your friends list.

Nice. I am about 200th right now after just scoring a decent game at about 1.6mil. I noticed some people on there have 2mil+ scores.. Crazy. Anyways, just added you so I have more people to compare scores with. My live ID is djZM for anyone else that wants to do the same with me.

Hmmm ... maybe, but once things start getting a bit hectic any tight control you have over Pac-Man goes out of the window. Every game, you can guarantee that I'll lose a few lives later on because the damned thing didn't do what I was telling it to do.

Still a great game, though. Still give it a run-out once in a while.

Now that I've played is I have to agree. When it really gets fast a proper joystick sure would help. Great game though.

I'm loving the heck out of this game! As to my earlier question, the bombs can be triggered by the shoulder bumper buttons so that makes it very playable the way I hold the thumbstick.

I wonder if it will come to the Wii? There's no good reason it can't.

If it does I will buy it again so I can use my Tatsunoko stick with it. Although, having said that it's a square gate controller and I tried NES Pacman with it, didn't work too well.

tatsunoko-vs-capcom-fightstick-1.jpg

I wasn't aware you could buy a hex restrictor for it. Will it have to be modded to accept it (It doesn't use real arcade parts so I assume it will have to be)?

I have the Dead of Alive branded version of the EX2 (There was also a Virtua Fighter branded version) on the 360, and the generic version of the Hori stick for the Wii without the ugly artwork on it, and they both seemed pretty much identical.

And they both equally sucked for maze games like Pac-Man that required precise 4 way control.

Even my high quality MadCatz arcade stick (The SFIV one that used the arcade components) sucks on maze games. I can't imagine anyone spending more then 5 minutes with Pac-Man Chmapionship Edition DX with one of these sticks.

Edited by Atariboy

I wasn't aware you could buy a hex restrictor for it. Will it have to be modded to accept it (It doesn't use real arcade parts so I assume it will have to be)?

This is what I bought. Hori uses Sanwa parts, so I am assuming it should fit right in. We'll see when it arrives.

As far as this being ported to the Wii, I highly doubt it. It would be nice if it was.

The high quality Hori sticks use Sanwa parts, not the EX2. The stick and buttons on your EX2 are Hori produced consumer grade components. So it wouldn't surprise me if you'll have to do some internal work to get it to accept it since it wasn't designed with plugging in replacement arcade parts in mind, unlike some other arcade sticks (Although it appears that replacing the restrictor plate is much easier then replacing the buttons or stick with arcade quality components).

Here's one of many pages dealing with modding this stick with arcade quality components. Someone out there probably has done what you're trying to do if you do a search (I just see tutorials dealing with putting in 8 way restrictors like at the following link, not a hexagonal one).

http://pineconeattack.com/2008/12/07/how-to-mod-the-hori-fighting-stick-ex2-with-authentic-arcade-parts-xbox-360-version/

Also, if anyone has it, their Soul Caliber IV stick is also identical to the EX2 (And the DOA and Virtua Fighter sticks).

Edited by Atariboy

And they both equally sucked for maze games like Pac-Man that required precise 4 way control.

I agree, I bought a Hori arcade stick ( I think the generic one) specifically for the Live Arcade games, like Ms Pac-man and it wasn't cheap. I think it cost $60. For me it would be worth it because I had high hopes it would replicate the old school controls....

Needless to say, It doesn't .

I think I paid my $60, used it like 4 times, and boxed it up.

So sad.