IGNORED

Sega Genesis stereo AV cable

Xot

So I've been looking for one of these, and it seems that the first party ones only offer mono output (only have red-yellow, not red-yellow-white). I know the Genny puts out stereo sound through the headphone jack, does it not do so through the AV port?

In any event, does know if said cable exists, and if so, do you have any for sale/trade?

Please LMK. Thanks.

I once had a buddy with a model-2 style stereo cable that he said he got by calling sega. I've never seen the elusive sega-branded stereo cable for sale myself though. And it naturally wouldn't work with model-1's.

There are a good number of model-2 3rd party stereo cables floating around online for about $5-10, or you could just get either of the sega cd addons since they have stereo plugs right on them. (that's how I do it)

it's worth noting that most, if not all, genesis3 units are mono only. I doubt you're using one of those though, they're far less common than the other revisions.

Here's what you can do.

Use the model 1 AV cable, but put this on the white.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3232744

that won't give anybody stereo output.

Edited by Reaperman

Here's what you can do.

Use the model 1 AV cable, but put this on the white.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3232744

I use a similar Radioshack wire on the Model 1 Genesis and NES. If you plug your audio right into the TV, the TV will play the mono over both speakers. I use an AV switch box for analog inputs, so it won't do it for those, and I thus need that coupler. It's not true stereo, but the fact is only a handful of Genesis games used stereo. I have a Nomad and 32X which I can use the stereo output model 2 cable, and I've tried a stereo game and compared. Couldn't tell any difference. If you're using a stereo system, maybe. For just a TV, mono is fine as long as you get it out of both speakers.

Hitachi, I don't think that wire you linked from ebay will work. The Model 1 AV out only sends a mono signal, same as the SMS.

Xot, just buy one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3449316

and plug it into the headphone jack on the front of the Genesis. It's the only way to get stereo sound out of the unit. It is preferable to do this instead of buying a model 2 Genesis (which does have stereo output at the pins in the back) because the model 2 has poor sound quality.

Chris

Xot, just buy one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3449316

and plug it into the headphone jack on the front of the Genesis. It's the only way to get stereo sound out of the unit. It is preferable to do this instead of buying a model 2 Genesis (which does have stereo output at the pins in the back) because the model 2 has poor sound quality.

Chris

Y, this is the answer. The 5-pin DIN shown on an earlier post will have no stereo effect because the Genesis model I only outputs monoaural sound from the AV port on the back of the console. The cable shown on this Radio Shack link is easy to find at thrifts around my area for $1 or so. Plug the white and red plugs into the left and right channels on your TV, and use the yellow video plug from your AV cable to complete the setup.

Only other answer is a stereo AV mod for your model I Genesis, but it involves soldering wires inside the unit from the stereo jack at the front to RCA outputs on the back. Not too tricky if you have some soldering ability and experience with an electric drill (for putting holes through the console case for the RCA jacks).

Yes, go with a headphone jack to stereo RCA Y-cable... you can get one with female RCA jacks and plug stereo cables into that, or get a straight adapter with male plugs. (that's not as easy to extend though)

The model 2 uses a dedicated stereo AV cable.

As for audio quality: the model 1 (in most cases) is a lot better sounding than the model 2 (in most cases) due to the audio amps used, though it varies to some extent and you can see details here: http://sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7796