IGNORED

Atari and 3D games

emkay

Well, it seem I got pampered somehow, belonging to the 3D "abilities" of the A8.

Seeing this video, it was "clearing something". Just looking at "Wayout" . The game fills the "vectors", the frames are fluent, while even on the PC just drawn lines where used in the "same year".

When it's up to "3D looking games" , which would you remember?

Note: Just using raster-changes, as in Ballblazer or Dimension X, hardly produce the complete visuals of a 3D environment. Drawn vectors do ;) . But , if you want to defend them, you can place them ;)

Yoomp! is an exception, because it isn't from "back then" in the 80s. And Space Harrier isn't even finished yet...

My participants:

1)Koronis Rift

2)Rescue on Fractalus

3)Encounter

4)The Eidolon

5)Capture the Flag

6)Wayout

7)Starraiders

8)The Last Starfighter

Which game would you assume to put on this list? And what is the ranking, you suggest.

3 filtering features to take part here:

1. Good framerate

2. Not only using raster-changes for the good impression of a 3D environment

3. It must be from released between the 70s to the early 90s

RoF IMO is probably the best 3D game on the Atari so far, considering actual "real 3D" looks, and the way in which it contributes to the overall experience.

Yoomp, I'd put into more of a "psuedo 3D" category, same for Ballblazer and Last Starfighter.

Mercenary/2 should go on the list although it is mostly line-art but still it was kind of groundbreaking for it's time.

The Alternate Reality games should also be there although they're 90 Degree turners - it would have been interesting if the game had been developed with the finessed turning ability that the engine supposedly was capable of.

aehm... why should Nighshade count while HoH not? icon_wink.gif same technique... icon_wink.gif

Heaven, you drunk today? ;)

- Rainbow Walker

raster

- Pole Position

raster

- Master of the Lamps

The flying part seems ok but its too simple to produce any 3D "feeling"

- Tomahawk

???

- F15 strike eagle

no

- Flight Sim 2

aaaarrggg...

- Battle Zone

close

- Gato

framerate? 3d? what?

- Blue Max

raster

;)

- Racing Construction Set

?

- Inflitrator

3D where?

Well... Not drunk yet but...

Pole Position scales stuf in 3D like star Raiders. At least Same 3D category like The last starfighter.

Rainbow Walker has depth in View, too...

Gato, too...

F15 strike egale is a Flight SIM and IT is good, Same Category like your last star Fighter or star raiders.

Racing Destruktion Set is Imho using iso 3D so like your knight Lore.

Ok... Then what about space Shuttle?

Edited by Heaven/TQA

Actually there was a game that came out before HoH on the A8 that also did 3d isometric game forms, namely Firebird Software's 'Chimera', it was an OK game i guess,

a couple of games followed on from HOH on the A8, Molecule man (similar to 3d isometric game forms) and also Amaroute which was sort of 3d (both by Mastertronic)

Actually there was a game that came out before HoH on the A8 that also did 3d isometric game forms, namely Firebird Software's 'Chimera', it was an OK game i guess,

a couple of games followed on from HOH on the A8, Molecule man (similar to 3d isometric game forms) and also Amaroute which was sort of 3d (both by Mastertronic)

Man I hated that game, was WAY too hard (actually I really liked it, but never managed to complete it - and I'm talking about I loaded it from tape several times a week LOL)

Well... Not drunk yet but...

Pole Position scales stuf in 3D like star Raiders. At least Same 3D category like The last starfighter.

Rainbow Walker has depth in View, too...

Gato, too...

F15 strike egale is a Flight SIM and IT is good, Same Category like your last star Fighter or star raiders.

Racing Destruktion Set is Imho using iso 3D so like your knight Lore.

Ok... Then what about space Shuttle?

Probably I was not clear enough. The game should build a "3D feeling"´in visuals and fps.

Not sure, where Space Shuttle or RDK do this.

Knightlore..... erm Nightshade icon_wink.gif .... does it by the used ISO 3D Scrolling and the Wall Priority .... at least.

F15 like games .... well.... you know.... it's in the "missing" framerate icon_wink.gif

"4 SpF" is not funny icon_wink.gif

Elektraglide.... well.... seems the best "raster" game for a partial 3D experience.

The Last Starfighter is more a Raster Game, but it suggests a 3D experience. Just like the Fighters escape over your head.

RDS is just a Car drives over a 3D looking line ..... there is no 3D experience at all.

Depending on the framerate, I wouldn't even count Amaurote.... it is clrearly an ISO 3D calculated game, but the missing fps kill the 3D experience.

It could get interesting, to have a flight simulator with the engine of RoF... or at least a simulation using the simulated depth of view, like in Koronis Rift.

Edited by emkay