IGNORED

I've joined the club

SpiceWare

My 7800 arrived today! Got it off ebay w/a bunch of carts for $50 (+$15 S&H). 7800 only carts at that. A numer of duplicate, but 19 unique 7800 games in all.

There were 6 games in sealed boxes, plus a loose copy of each (2 of Baseball)

post-3056-128441935284_thumb.jpg

13 loose games (2 of Pole Position)

post-3056-128441936055_thumb.jpg

Handful of manuals

post-3056-128441936892_thumb.jpg

nice looking 7800 w/2 joysticks

post-3056-128441937451_thumb.jpg

Only issue is I'll need to mod it soon - this is what it looks like on the only TV I have with a tuner:

post-3056-128441939913_thumb.jpg

Instead of colors I get b&w striped patterns. What's really bizarre is the TV menu shows a PIP display with the right colors

post-3056-128441940554_thumb.jpg

closeup of PIP display

post-3056-128441941075_thumb.jpg

POP also works in color, but only when it's on the right side which means I don't get audio.

post-3056-128442046656_thumb.jpg

Edited by SpiceWare

It's a great, underappreciated system, for sure. It's not quite as flashy graphically as other systems of it's era, but it makes up for it with excellent sprite capabilities and no flicker.

It's slowly grown on me over the years until now, when I can say it's quite possibly my second or third favorite system ever.

Enjoy!

Congrats! I made a similar haul many, many years ago. A 7800 system drowning in cartridges for $10. Ebay was in its infancy, and was still a place to get great deals.

Despite that, I didn't use it much. Its only been fairly recently that I've rekindled some affection for it, and I believe, frankly, its best years are ahead of it. The homebrew scene of the 7800 has great potential. There have been some good arcade ports, but those really aren't my thing. It's the originals, like Failsafe, that have been rallied my enthusiasm.

That it does - I played it using the GB-XC1 at CGE and it was one of the factors in my deciding to get a 7800.

Yeah, I usually play Robotron 7800 on my Wii using the classic controller since I don't have a better way to play it on the real deal.

Through a homebrew emulator of some kind, or have they released it as a virtual console game? Either way, I'd like to give that a shot, sounds good. I play it on my 7800 with a sega genesis gamepad in my left hand & my right on a genesis arcade stick. I do love me some 7800 Robotron though, damn. Such a good version.

That it does - I played it using the GB-XC1 at CGE and it was one of the factors in my deciding to get a 7800.

Yeah, I usually play Robotron 7800 on my Wii using the classic controller since I don't have a better way to play it on the real deal.

Through a homebrew emulator of some kind, or have they released it as a virtual console game? Either way, I'd like to give that a shot, sounds good. I play it on my 7800 with a sega genesis gamepad in my left hand & my right on a genesis arcade stick. I do love me some 7800 Robotron though, damn. Such a good version.

Homebrew Channel and the 7800 emulator. Lots of great emulators for the Wii.

Don't know how to solve your picture problem, as we still have an old-fashioned 4:3 TV, but welcome to Club 7800. :) IMHO, the 7800 is the best video game console EVER.

Now, GET SOME HOMEBREWS AND HACKS! B*nq, Space Invaders, Jr. Pac-Man, Pac-Man Collection!, Beef Drop, Space Duel...all fantastic remakes.

Found a solution to tide me over until I have time to mod the 7800! I was out running errands when I saw a Goodwill store and went Hmmmm..... Stopped in and found a nice 15" RCA for $15. Picture looks good and I'm sure it'll look better once I have time to adjust it. No remote though, so adjusting it via the menu panel is a minor pain.

post-3056-12848466132_thumb.jpg

post-3056-128484661791_thumb.jpg

post-3056-128484662293_thumb.jpg

post-3056-128484662893_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Given the excellence of 2600 Medieval Mayhem maybe he'll MAKE some homebrews and hacks someday. :)

Yeah, so um... Medieval Mayhem is a huge favorite amongst my Retro Gaming Friends and Myself. It is still one of the best 2600 Homebrews I've ever encountered. FYI--A polaroid photo I snapped of us 30-something-men playing Medieval Mayhem also won me a copy of "King of Kong" on DVD a couple years back.

Damn fine game. myico.png

One more testimonial...when I had my local Atari Age gathering at Chez Dauber a few years ago, we had a Medieval Mayhem-off! Seem to remember it was me, JBanes, Inky and Sandy on the game..and yes, an amazing game! Haven't touched my Warlords cart since!

Edited by Dauber

Found a solution to tide me over until I have time to mod the 7800! I was out running errands when I saw a Goodwill store and went Hmmmm..... Stopped in and found a nice 15" RCA for $15. Picture looks good and I'm sure it'll look better once I have time to adjust it. No remote though, so adjusting it via the menu panel is a minor pain.

Foot and a half cord, fifteen dollars, goodwill? Something doesn't add up. Glad it looks good, though. I had really good results using a fat tv coax cable (RG-6) with an adapter. It honestly looked as good as, if not better than, my composite-modded 7800s.

If you do mod it for composite, don't do anything irreversible...

Thanks Dauber!

Hmm, that's an idea. I'm currently using the original (I think) cable, but I think I've got a coax cable that I could try to see if the picture looks any better.

I've noticed that certain colors look excellent and other colors are smeary, but I see similar things on the 2600 due to how it's generating the color signal. I also see it in the 7800 comparison photo on Longhorn Engineer's page (LAP and SPEED are smeary while the white/green/red at the bottom are crisp) so I think it's just a design issue.

I've also seen some minor jitter while playing Robotron 2084 - don't know if that's the TV or if the game occasionally exceeds scanline counts. Hasn't been a detriment to playing though.

FWIW, my wife and I just got a 40-inch Sony Bravia...I connected the 7800 using the coax-to-RCA deal, and it worked perfectly...all the colors showed up, sound is good, and picture is crisper than I've ever seen....although because the display was never meant to be on such a huge screen, it does look a bit blurry, know what I mean??

But the REALLY cool thing...I found that the composite cable acts as an antenna when I disconnect it from the 7800 -- indeed, we're enjoying perfectly solid local reception (our HD cable hasn't been activated yet) through the 7800 cable! Amazing....

• 2 weeks later...

Now, GET SOME HOMEBREWS AND HACKS! B*nq, Space Invaders, Jr. Pac-Man, Pac-Man Collection!, Beef Drop, Space Duel...all fantastic remakes.

I cashed in some Medieval Mayhem royalties and bought every 7800 homebrew from the store. I'll be picking them up from Al this weekend at the Houston Arcade Expo.