IGNORED

The Return of Backwards Compatibility?

MagitekAngel

They are up to something. I don't trust them anymore so I assume they are making an add-on to make owners of PS2 games happy but I know that's just not the case. More than likely PS2 sales are gone out the window and they want to see if an add-on would sell. I don't know.

Here's another thought:

Rather than make each NEW console like the PS4 backwards compatable why not create a device that its sole purpose is to play old games? That way you keep the costs of new hardware (PS4) down and then give people an OPTION to buy this adapter\system if you want to play old games?

If the price is right and not through the roof, yes I would buy something like that.

That would be a great idea...something for those of us who are cheap and dont wanna shell out the big bucks for the higher priced games and love the classics would be amazing!

Either way, I still love my 60 gig !!! If you think about this adapter in terms of money...wouldnt it just have been cheaper to make your systems with the ability aready in it...let the consumer decide?

[This for sure ups the value of my sealed 80 gig backwards system!]

Rather than make each NEW console like the PS4 backwards compatable why not create a device that its sole purpose is to play old games? That way you keep the costs of new hardware (PS4) down and then give people an OPTION to buy this adapter\system if you want to play old games?

Why would Sony want to make a console that will have little to no software support? Isn't software where video game companies make the most money?

it's amazing how little sony has to do to get people talking. This one was cheaper than a radio spot by a long shot and they didn't have to say anything officially.

I'm all for the idea of backwards compatibility, but I'm curious, when there was PS2 B/C on PS3, was it even any good? The ps1 games aren't especially fun to play on it, were ps2 games really any different?

Edited by Reaperman

Why would Sony want to make a console that will have little to no software support? Isn't software where video game companies make the most money?

Yes it's software but we're talking about Sony here. :P

when there was PS2 B/C on PS3, was it even any good? The ps1 games aren't especially fun to play on it, were ps2 games really any different?

The hardware based BC units are solid. I have a 60GB unit and all my PS2 games play fine just like the PS2. The only issue I ran into was one game I have and it's X-Men Mutant Academy for the PS1. Would not play. I don't think that game plays on a PS2 either.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Sony and the like still don't get it that people still play and enjoy their older consoles and still play them and would keep buying games if they were made. But to me it seems like the software game makers have cut their own throat by making it too expensive just trying to make games for the latest and greatest consoles out there. They just don't get it and figure they know what the consumer wants better than the consumers themselves. Example: look at how the 2600 is STILL going strong!

Haha I wonder what happens if you attach it to a system that already has built-in backward compatibility? I usually like to collect different hardware revisions of consoles and don't yet own a PS3 Slim, but this might be interesting to get for that system if I ever do get a chance to get one as a backup. (Only major hardware revisions though. Like I'd only want one original size Xbox 360 and one Xbox 360 S. A black Wii wouldn't count)