IGNORED

Steel Battalion 2 announced...

xg4bx

The original Steel Battalion, released for the Xbox in 2002, was the sort of game that a lot of people would love to play, but very few would love to own. That’s because the game, which was a giant mech piloting sim, sold for $200 and required a gigantic controller with two control sticks, foot pedals, and over 40 buttons which would allow the player to manage every aspect of controlling their giant robot, right down to the windshield wipers.

Capcom announced a sequel this week at Tokyo Game Show, titled Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor, and it will feature a number of changes to the previous games formula. Most notably, they’ll be replacing the original’s $200 button-filled controller with $150 one that uses no buttons at all: Microsoft’s Kinect. Hopefully, this will finally help people like me realize their lifelong dream of…pantomiming the operation of a giant robot.

http://gm3r.com/blog/2010/09/16/steel-battalion-sequel-announced-now-includes-invisible-giant-robot-controls/

Okay this is going to be interesting. If Kinect works well with this it just might end up being the coolest game I've ever played.

I've only ever seen the Steel Battalion controller on the web and shows talking about rediculous controllers, was the game any fun?

Considering an old XBox goes dirt cheap these days I wonder if anyone would ever sell off the behemoth controller cheap as well and if so, would it actually be worth getting for chuckles if nothing else.

I've only ever seen the Steel Battalion controller on the web and shows talking about rediculous controllers, was the game any fun?

Considering an old XBox goes dirt cheap these days I wonder if anyone would ever sell off the behemoth controller cheap as well and if so, would it actually be worth getting for chuckles if nothing else.

Game was sweet. Very difficult and very unique.

No. The game was crap. However, the controller was beyond awesome. Any entertainment the game offered was merely because of the tactile feel of that huge controller and it's sticks, buttons, and switches. Seriously, ANY OTHER mech game was and is better than Steel Battalion, but the controller is absolutely unmatched anywhere.

Just the thought of Steel Battallion with Kinect is amazingly missing the point. It's a complete misunderstanding of why anyone had any interest in the game.

I would have loved to play the original Steel Battalion games, but eh...the controller made it not only expensive, but prohibitively big for typical stores to carry. If like me, you lived where there was a Walmart and nothing else, you were just SOL.

I'd still love to get the game...but it only works with the controller, and Those do still go for a pretty penny. They thankfully haven't gone up in price (probably due to the game being so underground nobody really knows anything about it) but it also hasn't really gone down any either.

I'd have to overhaul my old Xbox to play it though, so I probably never will.

How is the Keneti thing going to register a controller interface? It's not like it's going to project a 3D cockpit for you to interact with or anything....unless your just going to walk around as the mech thing., but then it's just another Godzilla game (not that those weren't fun) At least the controller won't be any more expensive...or big :P

My wife got me Steel Battalion and I like the controller and the game. To just make a blanket statement that Steel Battalion sucks is dumb. Steel Battalion is an excellent game for people who are looking for the elements that it brings to the table. After spending some time with the game you can get a feel for really controlling the mech well and after that point the game becomes a lot more interesting. A lot of people simply had trouble getting passed the learning curve which was pretty steep. Others want a mech game with a more arcade feel like Mech Assault. I can certainly understand the appeal of those sorts of games but this game is not supposed to be like those games. Having said all that, I would feel like a complete idiot playing this game without the controller. At least having the controller in front of you makes you look sane while you pretend to pilot a giant robot.

• Like 1