IGNORED

I was wrong about Kinect

xg4bx

That was my point entirely...if it's done well and NOT clunky and gimmicky, then what's wrong with it? See Super Mario Galaxy. Wonderful game, with VERY intuitive (and FUN) motion controls.

It's not that I don't partially agree with you, but I'm all for more fun games no matter how they are controlled. I'm not about to dismiss a game just because it doesn't use a traditional xbox controller. That would be like me dismissing all modern games because I prefer the single button 2600 stick.

Edited by Lord Helmet
  • Like 1

Look at the commercials. It is gimmicky. Panting like a dog and rolling on the floor is gimmicky. It is not that I am completely against motion controls. I think the Wii has its place. I enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy as well. But, that system is loaded with crap and their controller maintains some aspects of a traditional controller. What kind of nonsense are you going to be instructed to do when there is no actual controller and everything that happens in the game is a reaction to your body? When I physically have to rocket jump I'm not having fun anymore. You can be open to it and figure it is just another way to have fun playing games but I see it as the console manufacturers trying to produce a game changer. When something like this comes along it pushes the traditional stuff aside if it is successful. You can see that in the fact that these are being made at all as they are completely born out of Wii envy. The market is already pumped full of enough crap that has no thought behind it. I see the success of Kinect as a further push down that sad road. I understand if you don't see it that way but I believe there is a lot of merit to what I am saying and the game industry has shown it cares less and less about what gamers want, what makes a good game, or what is a sensible way to make money in the video game business. They just want those casual impulse buyers. The Wal-Mart shoppers who pick up the interactive hopscotch game to make their kids shut up instead of making their kids actually spend a moment in the sun playing hopscotch the way it used to be done or, OH NO, spend time with a real pet.

• 4 weeks later...

Just some days ago I thought it would be really nice to get a Wii and play some of the exclusive, fun games, no matter the res.

In the end, it's the games and not the input and I hope the move and kinect do produce some stellar game experience.

But, I wouldn't say all genres and games are equally suited for motion control.

It's the same with the ipod touch/iphone. Some decent games that are fun to play with a touch screen or gyroscope, but there must be a reason why my PSP sees more gaming time no matter how affordable iphone games are.

I thought I saw a preview of a game coming out for this that was 'Godzilla' like -- where you control a monster and get to smash buildings and swat planes down from the sky?

I think the Knect looks promsiing, but the original launch games all look like family games and $150 is too much to spend.

kinect lost before it started.. ~ revolutionika

I predict, and hope, that it will be a huge failure. ~ Hyper_Eye

I just don't see it working. ~ Lord Helmet

Wow that sucks. ~ moyocon

this is too much fail. ~xg4bx

I honestly do think the Kinect is pretty useless ~ DaytonaUSA

I'm not particularly excited about Kinect, and I can honestly see both it and Sony's Move failing miserably. ~ Karyyk

It's a stupid, unnecessary panic move on both sides and it WILL fail. ~ liveinabin

mwahahaHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!111!!! I've been waiting so long to post those! :evil:

Why, because they're all right? :twisted:

I think the thing to remember is that even if a fairly major piece of gaming hardware works well, and has some darn good games, that still doesn't in any way mean it will be successful. I'm not entirely sure what makes hardware successful...

Of course I have no idea if the 'works, and good games' are really in place yet either. Seems like M$ is keeping their cards pretty close to their chests this time around. Maybe that's too diplomatic--my inner gamer says kinect is probably pretty hard to deal with, and M$ has done nothing but fuel that opinion with press blackouts. I'll try it, but I'm not optimistic. The best chances to give me a good first impression have really already passed with misleading 'concept' videos and eye-toy grade gaming.

On a slightly related note, still haven't found a place to try out PS move yet.

Edited by Reaperman

kinect lost before it started.. ~ revolutionika

I predict, and hope, that it will be a huge failure. ~ Hyper_Eye

I just don't see it working. ~ Lord Helmet

Wow that sucks. ~ moyocon

this is too much fail. ~xg4bx

I honestly do think the Kinect is pretty useless ~ DaytonaUSA

I'm not particularly excited about Kinect, and I can honestly see both it and Sony's Move failing miserably. ~ Karyyk

It's a stupid, unnecessary panic move on both sides and it WILL fail. ~ liveinabin

mwahahaHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!111!!! I've been waiting so long to post those! :evil:

you forgot one ;)

move and kinect the modern Sega CD/32X… ~ Sonic R

Anyone seen today's Best Buy flyer in the sunday paper? I really thought they had stocked it from today on, not one word that it will launch on 4th of November. Later, I remembered the worldwide launch date. Almost had gone there to see it.

Maybe I could have made a case that the missing date entitled me to buy one right there and then?

Anyways, I'm considering to get the Kinect. It's filling the void when you happen to have a non-gaming spouse (apart from her DS puzzle games) and friends who are not so much familiar with next-gen gaming devices. This will be fun for family nights and what not. I think it's going to be succesful with the market they target.

It won't replace the controller but will make some games "better with kinect".

What time should I making the line on Thursday?

On a slightly related note, still haven't found a place to try out PS move yet.

I was in Fry's and they had it setup with some ping pong game. I didn't try playing it. Like any controller....it takes awhile to get the proper moves down from the trouble the people were having being able to hit the ping pong ball.

Too bad there are no Fry's stores in Louisiana.

Kinect is the 32X. Overpriced, created to increase lifespan of system, small number of games (most look bad), requires another power cable (unless you have the 360 slim), and will probably be replaced soon by a new console.

Be sure to sell them before GameStop won't accept them.

I hope Kinect fails. I hope Move fails. I hope we can get beyond this gimmicky period of gaming as quickly as possible.

You're absolutely right! I don't know what is wrong with the gaming industry these days. The gimmicky way the 5200 pulled off analog controls and the idiocy of online gaming (that I mainly blame the Dreamcast for introducing in a successful way) are the bane of the gaming community! Don't even get me started with how multi-button controllers are going to destroy the gaming industry - Man was never meant to deal with such complexity! I certainly don't enjoy any of these, so I why should anybody else be allowed to use them?

I hope that Kinect, Move, and the Wii all fail miserably so that we can begin making our way back to using our one-button, four-way controllers like we were always meant to! Innovation and refinement are for suckers.

On a serious note, though - I understand that it seems like these things are just a gimmick, but before the DS came out, I thought the same thing about having two screens on a handheld. Years later, I own one and think it is pretty brilliant (and that is without any sort of pressure to purchase one). Not believing that something will amount to anything is one thing, but hoping that it fails because you don't envision how it will fit into modern gaming, however, just doesn't make sense.

If it truly sucks, you don't need to worry - it will fail on its own.

I hope Kinect fails. I hope Move fails. I hope we can get beyond this gimmicky period of gaming as quickly as possible.

You're absolutely right! I don't know what is wrong with the gaming industry these days. The gimmicky way the 5200 pulled off analog controls and the idiocy of online gaming (that I mainly blame the Dreamcast for introducing in a successful way) are the bane of the gaming community! Don't even get me started with how multi-button controllers are going to destroy the gaming industry - Man was never meant to deal with such complexity! I certainly don't enjoy any of these, so I why should anybody else be allowed to use them?

Those are all things that made absolute sense and I was there with each one. I was playing Halo online using tunneling software before Live was released and I picked up my pre-order of Live on the first day. I am not anti-innovation. The things you list were inevitable. Changes in how we control our video games are inevitable. That doesn't mean every idea should be considered a move forward. Some ideas suck.

I hope that Kinect, Move, and the Wii all fail miserably so that we can begin making our way back to using our one-button, four-way controllers like we were always meant to! Innovation and refinement are for suckers.

Yes... not being interested in gimmicky body motion crap is the same as wanting to go back to strictly using 1-button controllers. There is no in-between or possibility of a desire to move in a different direction.

On a serious note, though - I understand that it seems like these things are just a gimmick, but before the DS came out, I thought the same thing about having two screens on a handheld. Years later, I own one and think it is pretty brilliant (and that is without any sort of pressure to purchase one). Not believing that something will amount to anything is one thing, but hoping that it fails because you don't envision how it will fit into modern gaming, however, just doesn't make sense.

Again, that was an innovation that I didn't balk at for a second. It was an excellent idea that makes a lot of sense for many good uses in handheld games. Of course there is a lot of gimmicky content available for it but that stuff is very much overshadowed by excellent well constructed content. In comparison I have looked at the list of launch titles for Kinect. The list screams gimmicky nonsense and Wii envy. The good thing is that I think there will be a slough of great new videos of people kicking their television or shoes flying through windows. I will be happy to watch and enjoy those.

If it truly sucks, you don't need to worry - it will fail on its own.

I'm not worried and I am not actively trying to make it fail. All I have stated is that I believe it will fail and I don't think any assistance will be needed. Whether it fails or not I have no interest in it and I do not intend to buy it. So my actions will be the same regardless.

My main point, when looking at my post as a whole, is that it just doesn't make sense to hope that it fails. While it may be a bit of a copycat idea from the Wii, it's still something a little different that some folks will probably truly enjoy the experience it has to offer (The funny thing is that I'm in the same boat as you - I don't really think I'll pick it up, at least not until it's cheap).

Not really trying to start anything with my overly-sarcastic post, but thought it might be worth pointing out that sometimes good ideas don't seem so good at first. Then again, it's possible that you've always been oracle-like and have never bet on the wrong horse, so to speak... ;)

I'm guessing the Wii fans hope it fails.

Frankly, the Wii and Kinect use totally different approaches to do motion control.

Kinect has voice recognition and can do facial recognition as well (or so they say).

Whether any of that proves useful will depend on the games.

I'm guessing the Wii fans hope it fails.

Frankly, the Wii and Kinect use totally different approaches to do motion control.

Kinect has voice recognition and can do facial recognition as well (or so they say).

Whether any of that proves useful will depend on the games.

If you look at it the PS3 move is more close to the Wii

I just read a story on Joystiq that the Kinect Bundle (Kinect + Xbox) does not include an AC adapter for Kinect. What this means is that if you buy the bundle, you cannot use the Kinect add-on with an older Xbox360. Not sure how many people this will/would affect, but it does come into play if you bought the bundle and want to take Kinect to a friends house who has an older 360 or to use it on older 360's in your home in differing rooms.

Joystiq asked MS if the adapter will be sold separately and they had no response. But I would suspect that some 3rd party company, at least, will sell one.

Mendon