IGNORED

Nitebear on Sleepystreet

Gemintronic

@TooSlowGamer: You must defeat an increasing number of aliens per stage. Also, the number of Orphan Ghosts needing rescue increases. This is a good thing as Orphan Ghosts now heal you.

I got too many bad vibes from people about the other cover art. I hope it wasn't the reason I got little to no response from the Homebrew section.

neotokeo2001 stated he needed the games by the end of the month.. and, by golly, the time is nigh! I know I could do alot more balancing especially with the mid-bosses but, yeah. :)

TIP: Lolipop power-ups count as a kill towards completing the stage. If you're already buffed up you might consider shooting the lolipop on purpose. Lolipops also change their behavior on stage 9.

Just because the autograph cartridge is finished doesn't mean you can't continue to work on the game. Phantasm went a long way beyond the initial autograph version.

I totally agree! Unlike traditional cartridge runs more can be made at will. I kinda hedged my bet on that statement by shipping 2 full boxes of commons to Al. For now I'll let people enjoy version 1 and mull over what went right and what went wrong during the development cycle. :)

I are be sick as a dog currently so the internal review will have to wait :sad:

Edited by theloon

I just had a quick look at this game and i like it (so far :D). I'll play some more later and post a feedback...

I got too many bad vibes from people about the other cover art. I hope it wasn't the reason I got little to no response from the Homebrew section.

Huh? What's wrong with the original cover art? I think it was pretty funny and better than the recent one.

I like the original art, but it's pretty disturbing if you think about it and something I wouldn't want that could be difficult to explain.

However, I like the new one too because it relates to the title of the game more. One thing I would change, though, is putting a full background behind him to make it more distinctive.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from Spooky Empire 2010. My camera disappeared somewhere toward the end of the show so I don't have any great pictures but a few people with me did take a few pictures of Robert signing the cartridge. He also did a sketch of Freddy on the back of the cartridge. It looks really nice and will be a cool addition to your collection.

post-3832-128667072542_thumb.jpg

post-3832-128667076776_thumb.jpg

post-3832-128667080417_thumb.jpg

post-3832-128667084382_thumb.jpg

post-3832-128667088155_thumb.jpg

Giant Lion Combining Robot Mother of All that is Awesome and Rocking!!!!!!!

I am humbled by your generosity and dedication to keeping Atari homebrew alive and vibrant. Thanks Scott!

Of course, everyone here was awesome help. Really couldn't have gotten this far without TooSlowGamer, atari2600land, Yuppicide, Gateway, Impaler_26, RT and SeaGtGruff.

Hope that, besides losing a camera, you enjoyed the convention =)

..er, one last thing: has anyone actually beat the final boss yet? You can skip stages via SELECT but the trade-off is you miss opportunities for power-ups (lollipops) and additional HP (rescuing orphan ghosts).

Edited by theloon

Ok, a bit late but i played the game some more and here are my thoughts about it:

First of all i like the game and i think the concept has potential to become a fun to play game.

As it is now it's already fun but it needs some more fine tuning IMO. There could be more variation to the game like different borders in the scrolling levels, more different enemies with different behaviour (especially in the boss stage) or different colors for each level. The 4-way scrolling stage is nicely done but i think there should be more to it, it's a bit bland as it is right now.

Overall i think the game is a bit too easy but from stage 6 on it becomes nearly impossible to dodge the enemy shots most times, the difficulty could be more balanced.

I made it to Stage 9 but always died there at 3000 and some points.

So if you decide to keep working on the game there are a few things that could be improved but there's no need to rush things - quality needs time.

Anyway keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

• 11 years later...
On 9/17/2010 at 9:19 AM, Gemintronic said:

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported (CC BY 3.0)

http://creativecommo...icenses/by/3.0/

Basically, do what you want with the source - just credit me somewhere visible.

Oh no! Aliens have taken over the orphanage on Sleepystreet and only Nite Bear can save them!

Game modes include:

* Knightmare style shooting levels with boss

* 4 way scrolling platform rescue the Steffies in the orphanage levels

* Final boss battle

Below are pictures of the title screen and in-game. Zip file with pictures and binary too. Cover art was provided generously by neotokeo2001.

post-13304-12847293936_thumb.jpg

post-13304-128472940798_thumb.jpg

post-13304-128561979771_thumb.jpg

NiteBear.zip 82.15 kB · 631 downloads

Fantastic label art, and game sounds interesting. Is the rom under the cartridge label pic the release candidate? Is there plans for Al to sell this in the store?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yurkie said:

Fantastic label art, and game sounds interesting. Is the rom under the cartridge label pic the release candidate? Is there plans for Al to sell this in the store?

Label is all Neo Games doing.  Can't take credit for that at all.  But, that zipped up binary should be as final as it gets.

Super proud because of the playfield based boss and scrolling (even has that 4 way scrolling bonus stage).  Dunno if it's popular enough to be an AtariAge title. :)  Perhaps we could included it in my next double sided cart with improvements?