IGNORED

What are this generations most underrated shooters?

Gabsters89

So I was just playing Wolfenstein, and I got to thinking... what are this generations FPS games that are good but just didn't quite get the love they deserved? Mine would probably be....

Aliens Vs. Predator(Game Informer gave this a 5, are you kidding me?)

Wolfenstein

Singularity

Quantum of Solace

Turok

Clive Barker's Jericho(this one might be pushing it, but at least it was different and a fun little game)

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

What are yours?

Edited by Gabsters89

I don't usually like FPS games, but I really liked Battlefield Bad Company. I suppose it's not really all that underrated, it's a big name, huge budget game afterall. I get the feeling that it's considered second-string though, and I don't feel that should be. I picked it up when it was reduced (very early on) to a $20 title. My expectations were low but bad company did more than just blow them away, it got me to play an FPS game--for a very long time.

The scenery is so varied in each level, but both open and tight areas underline the necessity for good cover, and that cover is mostly destructable. The terrain variety meshed with the class/vehicle variety bringing a certain balance to the game. There's nothing quite like the feeling of trying to stay alive inside a small building that a tank is trying to take apart.

I played the BC2 demo, and that careful balance just didn't feel like it was there anymore, and I didn't especially care for the level design.

Edited by Reaperman

I actually cant stand them either but I think Wolfenstein is great and it got underrated. I think a lot of the media and magazines really "ignored" games if they were not called Call of Duty or Halo. A shame really cause Wolfenstein is a great game and Resistance is a personal favorite. (Actually it IS my favorite). I still am not a huge fan though, I dont go all out looking for these games. Doom and Duke Nukem 3D really burned me out in the late 90's.

I enjoyed the campaign part of Wolfenstein and thought it didn't get the respect it deserved.

A couple others I've enjoyed were Far Cry 2 and Unreal Tournament. Plus I think I'm one of the very few that enjoyed Haze.

Mendon

Haze is a good choice, I totally forgot about that! One of those overhyped then underrated games. They tried to market it as a Halo killer from what I remember. Definitely wasn't that but it was still a good game.

Unreal Tournament III is the most-underrated, I've found. Well, not even so much "underrated".. It got decent reviews when it was released. It's just that no one jumped on its bandwagon.. It's a serious ghost town on the servers list these days, even in the expanded PC version. It's a shame--It was the first online PC FPS I played on a regular basis since UT2K4, yet now it's dead.. Time to move on.

TimeShift is another one that may not have been listed. I thoroughly enjoyed the single player game. It was pretty mindless, but that's just the way I like it (Get too many "missions" involved and you lose my interest).

Jericho is definitely underrated, IMO. It takes some getting used to, but when you know what you're doing and you've figured out how to use each character's abilities efficiently, it's a lot of fun (albeit very, very linear). You may also have to have a stomach for murky, nasty settings and dark subject matter in order to really get the full effect though.

Haze is a good choice, I totally forgot about that! One of those overhyped then underrated games. They tried to market it as a Halo killer from what I remember. Definitely wasn't that but it was still a good game.

I've been wondering about this one, but it seems no one really knows anything about it. People at GameStop say, "Meh, it sucks," and then fail to deliver on any other details, which you know means they probably didn't play it. I am going to check it out then.. It's basically in the bargain bin like Jericho (About $7 on the used market, I think).

Sin and Punishment. Not really FPS, but definitely a good arcade shooter.

They made sin and punishment for the PS3 also?

I think he meant the Wii cause thats the only version I have seen.

Ah, kind of threw me off since this is a PS3 topic.

By the way, I concur that Turok is an under rated shooter ;)

Unreal Tournament III is the most-underrated, I've found. Well, not even so much "underrated".. It got decent reviews when it was released. It's just that no one jumped on its bandwagon.. It's a serious ghost town on the servers list these days, even in the expanded PC version. It's a shame--It was the first online PC FPS I played on a regular basis since UT2K4, yet now it's dead.. Time to move on.

I've been wondering about this one, but it seems no one really knows anything about it. People at GameStop say, "Meh, it sucks," and then fail to deliver on any other details, which you know means they probably didn't play it. I am going to check it out then.. It's basically in the bargain bin like Jericho (About $7 on the used market, I think).

Go into Haze as if you're watching a B-movie and it's enjoyable. Probably some of the worst voice acting I've heard in some time. It's worth the 7-10 bucks you'll pay for it. I agree about Unreal III, I loved that game. There are still a few people on the PS3 servers for it, more so than the 360's servers(probably because you can use keyboard and mouse on it, and the PS3 one has mutators). I still play it quite a bit with bots, it's still good fun. I'd take Unreal over Halo or most any other sci-fi FPS any day.