IGNORED

System Update v3.5

HammR25

The last one was the 'security update' to keep users from fully enjoying thier ps3's. Because of that, I get the feeling this is just a planned update that actually does what it says. I have no evidence to back this up of course, and will probably regret not reading the user agreement when Sony comes for my firstborn or starts charging me a per-use fee on dvd viewing.

• Like 1

I will find out soon. Just ordered my Mitsubishi 3d TV upgrade for my 73" projection(external conversion box and glasses from Amazon) I'll let you know how it goes with the ps3. Should be next week.

I have the same TV and would be curious to hear your thoughts.

Will do after it arrives and I have a day or so to play. the box reviews for the tv are great! hopefully the ps3 will also cooperate!

I will find out soon. Just ordered my Mitsubishi 3d TV upgrade for my 73" projection(external conversion box and glasses from Amazon) I'll let you know how it goes with the ps3. Should be next week.

I have the same TV and would be curious to hear your thoughts.

Will do after it arrives and I have a day or so to play. the box reviews for the tv are great! hopefully the ps3 will also cooperate!

I definitely would like to know as well. :)

I might be getting a 3D TV next year during tax time. Really am interested to see how 3D blu-ray movies and also 3D games perform. Of course, a lot depends on the TV.

I just read THIS STORY on Kotaku that one of the things that the new update does is block fake/counterfeit controllers. Seems eBay is full of vendors selling fake Dualshock controllers and Sony is taking steps against them.

(NOTE: watch the YouTube video included at the bottom of the story to see how eBay and PayPal handle complaints about fake merchandise...."PayPal doesn't wish to be involved in discussions between vendor and buyer")

Mendon

I have a Sony 55" 3D TV. I updated my PS3 slim to 3.5 and blu-ray 3ds play great, same as my blu-ray player.

I don't like the 1080p24 mode, but thats what 3d is right now...

There was 2 3d games added. One was for this new wii mote type controller....

There is one 3D movie you can download. It is an E3 demo of upcoming 3d games. Its really good actually.

Problem is, besides the few games in 3d, there is no other 3d content on PSN at all.

Unless I missed something. Anyone else know of any other 3d content on the PSN?

has anybody had a controller blocked yet? According to the comments on the article, it seems that PC USB controllers and even the chinese ps2-usb converters are still working fine--maybe they're only going after bluetooth clones. Support for generic USB controllers is very important to me. I know they'd never block my unlicensed steering wheel, but I'd be a bit unhappy if my PC gamepads, flight sticks, or ps2 converters stopped working. I just haven't seen any evidence of this yet.

• 2 months later...

I just read THIS STORY on Kotaku that one of the things that the new update does is block fake/counterfeit controllers. Seems eBay is full of vendors selling fake Dualshock controllers and Sony is taking steps against them.

(NOTE: watch the YouTube video included at the bottom of the story to see how eBay and PayPal handle complaints about fake merchandise...."PayPal doesn't wish to be involved in discussions between vendor and buyer")

Mendon

Unfortunately, this blocked my Gamestop branded wired controller from working with PS2 and PS1 games.

Oh boy, let the removal of features begin again to try and stop their system from being hacked. what next the removal of using USB devices (such as MP3 players and USB drives). every time they do this the PS3 looks less and less in my eyes of even wanting to buy the thing. keep it up SONY and you will loose even more current customers and potential buyers of your systems.

Edited by madmax2069

I think it's crazy to do this. This was why the ps3 was so great. No need of expensive licensed driving wheel controllers like the xbox360 needed. You had a choice of what peripheral you liked. I don't like this new sony strategy of removing things that where ones available and made the ps3 wort the extra money.