IGNORED

Which Vectrex Multicart?

spaceman

I am picking up a Vectrex this week and just had a look at the multi-cart choices.

Which one would you guys recommend, Sean Kelly or VecFlash (or wait for VecMulti) or the 72 in 1 by Jay Smith (Raven's Retro Nest)?

Any other options? Any notable advantage or disadvantage for any of these cart (apart from availability)? What about the overlays, big issue?

Thanks guys

I am picking up a Vectrex this week and just had a look at the multi-cart choices.

Which one would you guys recommend, Sean Kelly or VecFlash (or wait for VecMulti) or the 72 in 1 by Jay Smith (Raven's Retro Nest)?

Any other options? Any notable advantage or disadvantage for any of these cart (apart from availability)? What about the overlays, big issue?

Thanks guys

Personally I would go for the VecFlash. That's the one I've got. Holds dozens of roms, has a good menu system, and you can add more new games later as they are released. Not sure if the others do that.

I've got VecFlash and it's perfect for my needs.

Maybe check this discussion.

Thanks guys

Personally I would go for the VecFlash. That's the one I've got. Holds dozens of roms, has a good menu system, and you can add more new games later as they are released. Not sure if the others do that.

I've got VecFlash and it's perfect for my needs.

Maybe check this discussion.

Great thanks for your feedback and for the thread link. It answered a lot of my questions and helped clarify a few things. Anyone else has thoughts in this?

Well, except that the Vecflash isn't being made anymore, so it's just a matter of which one appears on ebay first. I'm pretty happy with my Sean Kelly cart, but a flash-based one sounds great too.

I'd never heard of VecMulti before, so I'm glad someone mentioned it above. Does anyone know of some Vectrex news site with an RSS feed or with emailed updates so I know when it becomes available?

Well, except that the Vecflash isn't being made anymore, so it's just a matter of which one appears on ebay first. I'm pretty happy with my Sean Kelly cart, but a flash-based one sounds great too.

I'd never heard of VecMulti before, so I'm glad someone mentioned it above. Does anyone know of some Vectrex news site with an RSS feed or with emailed updates so I know when it becomes available?

From what I found searching, I think it's made by Richard H. (I believe is on the board here too), the same person as the VecFlash, and it will be micro SD cart based (with a USB cable option). From the website:

Stores / runs every Vectrex game including -

games requiring additional RAM

64K bank-switched games

multi-load games

I think he is running the final batch of test before putting them out there.

I would love for him to update us as well, as this I believe will be my choice (considering I saw a Sean Kelly cart on Ebay and it will sell for over $200) and the other one is discontinued as you mentioned.

Happy to help someone else as well as it seems everyone here is friendly and helpful.

I have the Sean Kelly v1 mulit cart, the 72:1 Multicart and the VecFlash.

The first two are just multi carts with the games/program binaries available as supplied (i.e. you can't change or add new binaries) whereas VecFlash allows you to choose which games/programs you put on it.

Out of the Sean Kelly cart and the 72:1 Mulit cart I would say the 72:1 Mulit cart is defintely much better - easier menu selection and more games/programs plus some programs unique to that cart alone - also the 72:1 is available now and much cheaper.

Here is a review I wrote about the 72:1 a long time ago (see pages 11-12):

http://publishing.yudu.com/Aembd/VGTrader6/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.videogametrader.com%2Fvgtrader%2Findex.htm

It is still available forsale and you can buy the lite version (comes uncased but will fit into any vectrex cart case) for £29.99

http://www.playntradeonline.com/vectrex/shop.html

The VecFlash was more expensive (compared to the 72:1 cart) but that is because it has extra functionality i.e. you can copy new binaries onto the cart from your PC via USB.

As mentioned in another post the VecFlash is no longer being produced (although an email to Richard H might reveal he has one or two left that he may sell you).

His new product will be the VecMulti. Details can be found at http://vectrex.biz/ . It is currently undergoing final testing.

And although I already have enough multicarts I can't wait to get my hands on the finished VecMulti product. This will be the multicart champion. It will be the cart that can hold the most programs and the cart which will allow new programs to be added. Also it will allow the games that required additional RAM (e.g. Animaction) to work.

Disadvatages? The only disadvantage I can see when compared to the VecFlash is that you will need a MicroSD card reader/writer to add new programs. You will phyiscally have to remove the SD card from the VecMulti and insert it into your reader/writer - all time consuming stuff. With the VecFlash you simply connected the cart to your PC with a USB lead. However, I guess for most, the frequency of adding new programs will not be that high.

VectrexMad!

Edited by VectrexMad!

I try to update my website news at least every month. If the VecMulti is released it will definitely be on the news page of my website :)

http://www.vectrex.co.uk

VectrexMad!

Yes, there's 2 guys testing it at the moment (VectrexMad! and Tickled_Pink).

There was some weirdness going on between consoles, but I think it's fixed now (I hope).

I was going to continue making the VecFlash, but the flash memory is just about impossible to find now. I have no carts left (I even sold mine).

Edited by Richard H.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, there's 2 guys testing it at the moment (VectrexMad! and Tickled_Pink).

There was some weirdness going on between consoles, but I think it's fixed now (I hope).

I was going to continue making the VecFlash, but the flash memory is just about impossible to find now. I have no carts left (I even sold mine).

Our group so so so wants one of these SD card adapters for the Vectrex!.. .

AU$ is strong at the moment. Please take our $'s while we can still afford to get one!> LOL..

Also any chance of ever seeing Omega Race for the Vectrex? I soo used to love that game! :)

http://shazam.zapto.org

.-.-.

I'm testing the VecMulti at the moment as well, and all I can summarise is... you will want one over the VecFlash when it is released ;)

Also any chance of ever seeing Omega Race for the Vectrex? I soo used to love that game! :)

Then you will want Omega Chase by Chris Tumber, although the chances of finding an actual cartridge are not great considering it was released ten years ago. More likely you can play it in emulation.

Our group so so so wants one of these SD card adapters for the Vectrex!.. .

Patience, it's very close :)

As Mat will tell you, it does work. Well, it did until I broke the firmware today :(

Try and get it working again over the weekend. Then that's it, final version.

BTW I have a nice label for it now.

What will be the cost?