IGNORED

So I picked up a MOVE yesterday...

Crazy Climber

Not very impressed so far :(

It's kind of pricey for starters. The camera/remote/game is $100, not bad. If you want an additional remote, which many games advise using it is an extra $50 and if you want the nunchuck accesories for both controllers you are out another $30 each...damn, up to $210+tax for 2 players, lame. Anyways, I would be fine with that if it was cool but so far it just feels like too little too late. The pack in sports game is all I have played and while it is decent, it left a lot to be desired. Just feels kind of bland, something I would expect from a mediocre Wii game, not a launch title for the move. Gladiator fight was the only mini game that held my interest more than 15 min and it was just okay. I looked at some reviews for the Kung Fu game and raquet sports and they are pretty bad, they basically say do not buy them. Oh well, maybe something better is coming? The LOTR title might be cool? I don't know, so far I feel pretty let down. Anyone else play yet? What did you think?

So if I already own a Wii is there any reason to get Move?

So far I would say no. I am hoping some more technical/adult oriented games come out for the PS3 move. The only MOVE game I saw get a get review was some virtual pet game? I don't own a PS3 to raise virtual pets, I own a PS3 to KILL them. ;)

I have had the move since this past saturday and I absolutely love it. I have owned a a wii since it's launch, so I'm not new to motion controls. I would say that the technology on the move is definitely there, and is more impressive than the wii. I think the starter package is a great deal and the Sports Champions is definitely worth the price of admission. I have been having lots of fun playing Gladiator Duel, Archery, Bocce, and Disc Golf. It's a solid title, and it's unique take on lesser played sports. I look forward to the next Sports Champions game.

I also picked up Kung Fu Rider, I was really looking forward to this game since I first heard about it. I read a bad review of the game and it got my guard up a little, but I do enjoy quirky games. I'm glad I listened to my gut feeling as I am really enjoying Kung Fu Rider. It kind of reminds me a little bit of the street luge game on ESPN extreme games for the PS1. I got Tumble off of PSN as well. People might think this is Sony's answer to Boom Blox, but it actually doesn't play anything like that game. This game shows off the tech quite well, as it really shows how accurate the move truly is. It's got a unique look and design, and the different types of play help round out a solid puzzle game. I also tried the patch for High Velocity Bowling as well and I like the way that the move is used in controlling that game. It feels much more fluid and realistic with the move.

In conclusion, the Move is everything I thought it would be, and I'm glad that I decided to purchase it. It is not for everyone, but if you're looking for something to change up your style of playing with some solid tech behind it, you can't go wrong with the move.

On a completely separate topic, everyone should run out and buy Space Invaders Infinite Gene. I have had the ipod touch version since launch, but the PS3 is well worth the price of admission with new extras that are not in the handheld version.

-mike

I also picked up Kung Fu Rider, I was really looking forward to this game since I first heard about it. I read a bad review of the game and it got my guard up a little, but I do enjoy quirky games. I'm glad I listened to my gut feeling as I am really enjoying Kung Fu Rider. It kind of reminds me a little bit of the street luge game on ESPN extreme games for the PS1. I got Tumble off of PSN as well. People might think this is Sony's answer to Boom Blox, but it actually doesn't play anything like that game. This game shows off the tech quite well, as it really shows how accurate the move truly is. It's got a unique look and design, and the different types of play help round out a solid puzzle game.

-mike

Hey Mike

Is this the review you read on Kung Fu rider?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1116863p1.html

I almost bought this game while picking up my MOVE but decided to read some reviews first. IGN has always been pretty supportive of the PS3 and grades pretty high so seeing them give it a 3.5 (bad) and basically saying DO NOT buy this game really scared me away. Hearing that someone enjoys it though might get me to pick it up when it hits $20. I do want to like this thing (especially since I own it now - lol) I don't hate it or anything, just kind of dissapointed so far since I really was expecting more.

I also picked up Kung Fu Rider, I was really looking forward to this game since I first heard about it. I read a bad review of the game and it got my guard up a little, but I do enjoy quirky games. I'm glad I listened to my gut feeling as I am really enjoying Kung Fu Rider. It kind of reminds me a little bit of the street luge game on ESPN extreme games for the PS1. I got Tumble off of PSN as well. People might think this is Sony's answer to Boom Blox, but it actually doesn't play anything like that game. This game shows off the tech quite well, as it really shows how accurate the move truly is. It's got a unique look and design, and the different types of play help round out a solid puzzle game.

-mike

Hey Mike

Is this the review you read on Kung Fu rider?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1116863p1.html

I almost bought this game while picking up my MOVE but decided to read some reviews first. IGN has always been pretty supportive of the PS3 and grades pretty high so seeing them give it a 3.5 (bad) and basically saying DO NOT buy this game really scared me away. Hearing that someone enjoys it though might get me to pick it up when it hits $20. I do want to like this thing (especially since I own it now - lol) I don't hate it or anything, just kind of dissapointed so far since I really was expecting more.

That is the review that I read. I actually never really go by reviews, because I have read so many lame reviews for both games and music that I completely disagree with. After reading the IGN review I felt a little disappointed, but I decided to give it a go because it was only $40. I think the game controls fine and the courses are creative with a nice sense of speed and a wacky array of characters. Give the game a rental and see if you dig it.

I have to try the move patch for both Hustle Kings and Planet Mini Golf. I have heard great things about the move support in Planet Mini Golf. One of the games that completely pulled me into was the Bocce game in Sports Champions. I completely dig playing that game, and it was completely unexpected.

-mike

I bought the Move package and an additional Move wand at launch... It's pretty freaking awesome. I work at a Gamestop and we've sold out and are taking preorders again and I've read online that many places are reporting sell outs. The customers that have it all have said they love it.... This thing's gonna be big. Like Tickle me Elmo big. Ok maybe not that big, but probably the worst thing about it is my friends. They call me everyday wanting to play bocce, when all I wanna do is play the Mafia II I borrowed from work haha

Edited by Gabsters89

I spent another hour or so with it last night. I am slowly coming around but it is still a little lack luster. At least I have decided to keep it instead of putting it up for sale (which had crossed my mind) Yes you have to re-calibrate every game but it's not too bad, takes about 10 seconds. I am surprised they have sold out at Gamestop, Target had a good 30+ units in stock when I bought mine but that was the same story when I bought my DS on launch day so maybe I just know of a good spot to get stuff :)

Here is my game by game breakdown..

Archery - This one is a winner. Very fun and has that "pressure's on" feeling while playing the computer. I would probably buy an entire archery game if they make one.

Bocciball - I found this one dull. I might need to get a second controller to enjoy it a little more but playing the computer is a snoozefest.

Table Tennis - Not in to this at all, controls feel shitty.

Volleyball - like slightly better than table tennis, has good responsive controls but just not in to it. Just nothing special about it, feels kind of like a chore to play.

Gladiator Duel - This could have been awesome. It is pretty good as is but the controls feel a little clunky and slow at times. I guess that would be accurate since real gladiator weapons have to be pretty akward but I don't want accurate, I want awesome. The more I play it and the farther I get the game just starts to get frusterating with the hit and miss controls. I hope they make a similar game to this with polished controls and make it a full release, that would be cool.

Overall I think I just set my expectations a little high. Had I never played the Wii I probably would have been a little more impressed but as it sits right now, I am still on the fence. What I am counting on for the PS3 is more grown-up games, I know the Wii has those too but I think the PS3 would be able to do them better. Hopefully they continue in that direction and don't just pump out a ton of mini/party-games and bowling games. :)

Gladiator Duel - This could have been awesome. It is pretty good as is but the controls feel a little clunky and slow at times. I guess that would be accurate since real gladiator weapons have to be pretty akward but I don't want accurate, I want awesome. The more I play it and the farther I get the game just starts to get frusterating with the hit and miss controls. I hope they make a similar game to this with polished controls and make it a full release, that would be cool.

Overall I think I just set my expectations a little high. Had I never played the Wii I probably would have been a little more impressed but as it sits right now, I am still on the fence. What I am counting on for the PS3 is more grown-up games, I know the Wii has those too but I think the PS3 would be able to do them better. Hopefully they continue in that direction and don't just pump out a ton of mini/party-games and bowling games. :)

The gladiator duel and archery really benefit from the second controller. Bocce with friends is a good time. I didn't care for volleyball or table tennis. Frolf was okay, it gets bonus points for reminding me of Seinfeld. And for giving me a new reason to say frolf in my everyday lingo hah. Stay away from Raquet Sports though, it's the Move's first shovelware title.

Edited by Gabsters89

Stay away from Raquet Sports though, it's the Move's first shovelware title.

Yeah, the reviews are really slamming that one. Virtua Tennis might be cool, but man, I have played that game so many times on so many systems, it would have to be pretty cool. The Time Chrisis series better be absolutely amazing though after that steaming pile of shit I bought last time (PS3 Time Crisis 4)

Yeah, the reviews are really slamming that one. Virtua Tennis might be cool, but man, I have played that game so many times on so many systems, it would have to be pretty cool. The Time Chrisis series better be absolutely amazing though after that steaming pile of shit I bought last time (PS3 Time Crisis 4)

There's a demo for that on either the PSN or on the PSN. The Shoot is on the demo disk too, I think I preferred it to Time Crisis. Gonna get Heavy Rain's patch and try that once I beat Mafia II.

I almost bought Heavy Rain yesterday when it was an Amazon deal of the day. I noticed there is a patch that makes it Move compatible. That sounds pretty cool. Not run out and spend $210 cool, but definitely $39.99 from the bargain bin in 2 years cool.

Heavy Rain is one of the most emotionally intense videogame experiences I've ever had. Hearing news of the patch raised my Move interest level up from around zero. :)

• 1 month later...

I went to a buddy's place on the weekend to try out Move. Can't say I'm blown away by how much more accurate it claims to be.

I spent a good hour or so doing Sports Champions and I have played the crap out of Wii Sports Resort so I have a good gauge of how the accuracy of the Wii Motion Plus is. Although Move is a bit more accurate, it ain't a huge improvement.

I did the table tennis a lot because there's also one in Resort so it's a good game to compare with. Just like Resort, there were many times I went for a back-hand swing and the Move controller did not know what I was doing, just like Motion Plus. I'm not saying this happened a lot, but I am saying it happened just as often as Motion Plus did it.

Then I tried the gladiators game. Perhaps the designers have locked down what kinds of swings you can perform, but there were a lot of times I swung for my opponent's head or legs and the controller did not follow my attack, instead hitting the shield. Although with the sword game in Resort you often have to recenter it, at least it matches head and legs hits better.

And speaking of calibration, neither tech have a good solution. Motion Plus gets "dizzy" fairly often so although you're pointing straight at the screen, the sword might be pointing far left. Nintendo's solution is for you to click down on the d-pad and it will recenter. A bit annoying for sure.

Move does not get similarly confused, after a lot of flailing around, if I then point at the screen, it does know to show the controller pointing exactly the same, that's an improvment. HOWEVER there are two major inconveniences for this to work.

First: you have to calibrate between each game. Maybe this will get better over time, maybe full games will only require one calibration ever (as opposed to mini-game complilations). But for now, it's annoying.

Second, and this was the killer for my fun, you have to stand in a small box onscreen. I never noticed this is any reviews and it took me by surprise. While holding the controller in various positions, I was surprised to discover you have to be centered in a very limitted box. While I understand why (if the glowing ball leaves the field of view Move stops working) I do count this as a major point against it and it makes Motion Plus a lot more appealing.

Anyway, just thought I'd detail my experiences with Move in case anyone is interested.

I am by no means a Nintendo fanboy and I actually also possess a PS3 but am definitely holding off going with Move just yet because I personally do not find it much better than Motion Plus in comparison.

If an awesome Move-only game comes out I may change my tune, but that day has not come yet.

• Like 1

I heard Killzone 3 will feature Move support, has anyone tried a "shooter" like Resident Evil 5? Or perhaps even Heavy Rain?

MAG uses it and I've read a lot of posts from gamers that enjoy that control method. Of course, there are also a lot of posts that abhor that control method. I'm not sure you'll ever get a consensus on this issue... :)

On the other hand, I think its kind of funny: Wii owners are finally getting games, like Black Op's, where you can use an analog controller to play. PS3 owners are now getting the wiggle and waggle that many Wii owners (myself included) are not 100% sold on. Life is a mystery......

Mendon

Yeah its strange. It seems a lot of games are pretty cool with the MOVE controllers. So far Heavy Rain and I read on another site that the Resident Evil 5 controls are pretty fun as well.

Still, just like the Kinect, I dont have the space and room for more controllers. I may wait a while longer to get any of these things. What I really want is a groundbreaking game to use these.

The big plus for the Playstion MOVE (and the Kinect) over the Wii is that the graphics are a whole lot better when you bowl or golf. :P

So its interesting to see how the Sony\Microsoft motion controllers do with really high def games (like Killzone 3) etc.

I tried the move at my friends it just feels like a rehash of the Wii remote to me, i wasn't at all impressed with it. it was a tad bit more accurate then a wii remote but its just its to much like the Wii remote to be anything of interest (aka a slight update to something that has already been done).

I was more blown away with the kinect on how great it worked, the games are a bit lack luster but i did have fun. joy ride was a blast, adventures was ok. my friends daughter loved the dace game. it seemed to be very accurate and responded very well to commands and how you was moving.

This is a very good write-up with some solid comparisons. With what you've told us, I'm not particularly interested in the Move peripheral now. I planned on getting a Wii next, but the Move was sort of tempting me to go with a PS3 instead, for the best of both worlds. I think I'm going to stick with a Wii now though, then snag a PS3 down the road, skipping on Move completely. I can see where it may be OK for people that don't own or plan on buying a Wii, but for those that do (particularly with Wii Motion Plus), there's not much reason to buy into Move.