IGNORED

Cave In

Miss 2600

I've started playing Cave In and plan on playing it a little several evenings a week and writing out the path I take and what I find in certain rooms. Just wondering if anyone else has been playing it and has any tips.

Tonight I came across a strange room. I was in a yellow room which looked to be a dead end. I snooped around looking for a key and when I got to the upper right corner all of a sudden I was in a green room with four ways out with a letter in each corner= W, B, G, and Y. I think it was a "G" anyway. I'm not sure what the letters mean, but I tried to go back the way I came to get to the yellow room, but ended up in a green room with a gate but I do not have the key yet for it and I can't get back to the room with the letters. I might try tomorrow and retrace my path to see if I can get to that letter room again and try another path and see where it takes me. Anybody else found that room? The manual doesn't mentioned letters. I thought it was an Easter Egg, but, since I can't re-trace my steps after finding it, it threw a monkey wrench in the text map I was writing out.

Congrats Miss 2600, I do believe you've found one of the secrets in Cave In! Read the manual for it if you haven't already, it talks about that room at the end of the manual.(v1.2 manual that is)

Also, I've got a map of the entire cave system of the game, however I don't know if it's the latest though, PM me if you want it.

Cave In is such an awesome adventure game, it's a shame we never saw anything like this back in the 2600's hayday.(and Secret Quest still can't touch it IMHO, even though I loved it too)

Edited by Bentley Bear!

I made a complete map of the finished version of the game. It's well-worth the effort to map it all out as you're playing. For me, that was part of the fun.

I haven't posted the map anywhere, but maybe I'll put it up in my blog at some point (in spoiler and non-spoiler versions).

• 3 weeks later...

I've started playing Cave In and plan on playing it a little several evenings a week and writing out the path I take and what I find in certain rooms. Just wondering if anyone else has been playing it and has any tips.

Tonight I came across a strange room. I was in a yellow room which looked to be a dead end. I snooped around looking for a key and when I got to the upper right corner all of a sudden I was in a green room with four ways out with a letter in each corner= W, B, G, and Y. I think it was a "G" anyway. I'm not sure what the letters mean, but I tried to go back the way I came to get to the yellow room, but ended up in a green room with a gate but I do not have the key yet for it and I can't get back to the room with the letters. I might try tomorrow and retrace my path to see if I can get to that letter room again and try another path and see where it takes me. Anybody else found that room? The manual doesn't mentioned letters. I thought it was an Easter Egg, but, since I can't re-trace my steps after finding it, it threw a monkey wrench in the text map I was writing out.

Yep, you found one of the "secrets" in the game. :) That room is what I always referred to as the "warp room", and the W, B, G, and Y represent the White, Blue, Green, and Yellow cave. Whichever direction you choose will take you directly to that cave's entrance. I made that room particularly difficult to find, you're probably the first to have found it. It's very useful once you know how to get back to it! I originally put it in there to make it easier for me to get around when I was developing the game and then decided to leave it in as a hidden room.

No one has found the actual easter egg room yet. I made it really difficult to find, though. It does provide an in-game bonus, so it's worth finding. There's also a built in "cheat" to the game (with another in-game bonus) that I don't think anyone has discovered yet either.

Have fun, and thanks for playing my game! :)

Steve

• 2 years later...

I believe the yellow room you're referring to is where you get your gun on other difficulty settings. There is an easter egg room, but that's not it. There's also a warp room. There is definitely enough healing opportunity. You just have to be careful in places. I've played through this game a few times now in Stella and will play through on a real cart soon I hope. I've made a complete map for personal use, but I believe Natham Strum posted a map (without spoilers) in his blog some time ago. Check that out if you haven't already.

It's been a while since I've played it, but I think there was a healing feature using a 2nd controller or something. I don't remember where I read about it. You can read through the topics here and here to see if it's mentioned, or you can wait for someone to respond here.

edit: Here's the link to Nathan's maps. The spoiler version does not include the easter egg screen. There's a trick to accessing it too, so figuring that out will keep you busy for a while once you've accomplished everything else in the game. ;)

Edited by KevinMos3

• 7 years later...