IGNORED

Recommended non-fps games?

jeremysart

So my library for our 360 is pretty short, only consisting of Fable II, Oblivion, Two Worlds, Devil May Cry, Red Dead Redemption, and pre-ordered Fable III.

Good games, but weak library.

I am in need of some fun, creative and imaginitive games, as well as some good two player titles.

Me and my wife mostly enjoy fantasy and action adventure games, but I am alway down for a good race, a fight, or anything creative.

Although one of my favorite games of all time is an FPS, Doom, thats about where my love for FPS games stop.. no call of duty for me. The only duty I'm calling is to the bathroom.

What am I missing out on?

Thanks!

Mass Effect (1&2)

Dragon Age: Origins

Fallout 3 (similar gameplay to Oblivion, but easier to manage in 3rd-person mode than Oblivion; I hate FPS too!)

Resident Evil 5 (excellent split-screen co-op)

Deathsmiles (co-op side-scrolling shooter)

Super Street Fighter 4

The Lego games all have good co-op

XBLA:

CASTLE CRASHERS (fantastic co-op)

Namco Museum: Virtual Arcade

Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection

Raiden Fighters Aces

Prince of Persia

The Simpsons Game is ok for the price you'd pay now.

Beautiful Katamari is certainly different.

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance has good co-op

The Orange Box is worth buying just for Portal. You can do that or just buy it on Xbox Live.

You got some of the best ones already listed...

What types of games do you like?

I personally love Viva Pinata, you can get all three of them cheap now, and there's a Mario Kart knock off too, if you like those. The second one will let you go CoOp with friends, though I've never tired that personally, due to not having live but I may have to try it now since I do.

If you like Doom, all of those I think are available on Live, you can buy Doom 3 Collectors ED, and it has the three original games on them. If you like doom but not Call of duty and other such games, you might try Halo. I'm not a fan over all of FPS either, but Halo was like crack to me, and I see myself playing it 10-20 years down the road just like I did with doom (well, actually, I still play doom quiet a bit)

If you got a HDD, that opens up some possibilities for original XBox games too. (unfortunately, many of the best ones still don't work, like Oddworld) And if racing is OK, look into something like the upcoming Need for Speed Hot pursuit. If it's like the other two HP games, it's going to be a good one (one of those was for Xbox, don't know if it's BC or not).

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I do like the stuff on Arcade, but I was reffering to full boxed games. I forgot, I go have Mass Effect, thats a great game. I like stuff that uses a lot of color.. I cant stand all of the "brown" games out there these day. Thats why I am iffy on Fallout 3, it looks really fun, and probably is a good game (I love the whole post-appocolypse thing), but the color scheme kills me, all brown and muck green. I think thats why I enjoyed Fable II and Mass Effect so much, those games were afraid to use more than one primary color on the screen at any given time.

I already have Dragon Age for the PC, both Awakwening and Origins.

Cool, I'm going to check out the suggested games and hopefully pick out a couple.

One other question.. I was thinking about selling my 360 and some games to get the newer slim model with built in wifi. Is there a great reason to get the 250g model over the 4g? I hate how they did it like that... how can you go from 4 gigs to 250?? It should have been at least 80 & 250g models.

I thoroughly enjoyed Kameo. Overlord is pretty cool if you want a strategy/action hybrid. Ninety Nine Nights is kind of an average hack 'n slash, but there are tons of enemies on the screen and I found myself strangely addicted to it. Ridge Racer 6 is great if you like arcade-style racers. I'm sure there are plenty other non-FPS options--these are just some cheap alternatives though.

One other question.. I was thinking about selling my 360 and some games to get the newer slim model with built in wifi. Is there a great reason to get the 250g model over the 4g? I hate how they did it like that... how can you go from 4 gigs to 250?? It should have been at least 80 & 250g models.

The 250 gigabyte model is the one to get if you plan on downloading games, installing your physical games to the hard drive, etc. Four gigs won't go too far if you do a lot of this, but if you don't, then it should be good enough for you.

I will second the Overlord games. I got all three of those too. Nothiing like having a hoard of little guys to go trash the town and loot gold for you :P Very fun, and kind of puzzley fighterish uh..if that makes any sense :P

As for the 360, definitely upgrade to the slim, the old one will die eventually, I thought mine would go on, but it died almost at the end of it's warranty, and I sent it in and got it back busted and said "f(boop) it" and just got the new system.

I would make sure to get the software upgrade to read Memory sticks and copy all your saves over to that before you bite the bullet though, the slim does not work with the old HDD, and doesn't work with the memory cards either. But a relatively cheap memory stick can be used for copying your profile and saves (you can just redownload all your old live games if you got any)

As for the different sized memory, I suspect it's the small one has no HDD, and just some sort of built in memory, I thought about seeing if mine did or not (I got the 250) but I don't actually see how to open the system to take the drive out :P As for which one do you want? If you plan on loading lots of live games, and/or ripping your games to the HDD (saves wear and tear on the DVD) then you need the big drive, if you aren't interested in live and won't be ripping the games, then the 4G is probably fine. (I never did fill my 256 meg memory card that all my saved games are on...so you never know)

I have heard but don't know if there is any truth to it or not, that some live games may not work without the HDD, but I personally think that's BS just to get people to pop for the extra $100, to me, it was worth it anyways, since my old system cost that and only had 20G of HDD and no wifi :P

Here's one I don't think anybody's mentioned: Mirror's Edge. It's like 15 bucks, and it subverts the entire FPS genre in an innovative and charming way. Not a lot of replay value, though.

Yes, this is another cool one. It's first person, but not really a shooter. Think of it more as the classic Prince of Persia styled gameplay from a first-person perspective. You will be impressed by it, if anything!

I will second the Overlord games. I got all three of those too.

Any of those you recommend? I was thinking about getting one but I have the feeling the original is the best.

Both the Xbox ones are basically the same. You have more powers on the second one, but I think personally that the original game edges it out cause it just feels more refined to me.

The one on DS is cool, but it's a totally different game, you pilot the minions themselves and hack and slash your way through a level more manually. It's still a load of fun though.