IGNORED

Fallout 3 Question

thegamezmaster

I'm a big fps fan and it seems like all I do is walk around and talk to people. What am I missing or not getting? I welcome any thoughts or suggestions. Stuck in IL.lol

Fallout 3 isn't an FPS, but I suppose that became obvious about the time you finished rolling combat stats during the intro level. The game is primarily driven by the desire of the player to explore an expansive wasteland. Many little stories are woven into the various spots on the landscape giving them character. Oh sure, there's a primary storyline which takes the character to a handful of extremely neat places, but the real meat of Fallout 3 is self-paced exploration and questing.

in short, no you're not really missing anything.

walk around and talk to people. Shoot something every so often.

I think it's one of those games that you'll know if you like it or not by the time you enter Megaton. If it's not 'your thing' by then, it's just not going to be.

Edited by Reaperman

I'm a big fps fan and it seems like all I do is walk around and talk to people. What am I missing or not getting? I welcome any thoughts or suggestions. Stuck in IL.lol

Fallout 3 isn't an FPS, but I suppose that became obvious about the time you finished rolling combat stats during the intro level. The game is primarily driven by the desire of the player to explore an expansive wasteland. Many little stories are woven into the various spots on the landscape giving them character. Oh sure, there's a primary storyline which takes the character to a handful of extremely neat places, but the real meat of Fallout 3 is self-paced exploration and questing.

I think it's one of those games that you'll know if you like it or not by the time you enter Megaton. If it's not 'your thing' by then, it's just not going to be.

Thanks for the reply. You helped me a lot and cleared up some questions I had about the game. Not saying anything good or bad about the game, guess it's just not my cup of tea. "Really love Infamous, great game. But to each their own I guess.

Actually I was in the same boat as you regarding Fallout 3. It took me a long time to "get" what I was supposed to be doing. Head over to Megaton and get yourself some cool weapons and start killing super mutants. That will get you into the feel of the game. Honestly I was completey lost the first 3 times I tried playing Fallout 3. Luckily I stuck with it because it's now one of my favorite games ever...

Thanks for the reply. You helped me a lot and cleared up some questions I had about the game. Not saying anything good or bad about the game, guess it's just not my cup of tea. "Really love Infamous, great game. But to each their own I guess.

Fallout 3 is a dark, dingy black hole that magically ate all my time up over a period of several weeks, after which I woke up naked in a desert, with a sore bum, wondering what I was doing with my life.

In all seriousness though, it's a slow, methodical game. Not Shenmue slow, but slow enough. An acquired taste I would say. It is not a fun game if you just try to fps your way through it.

and after playing it for a while

Define "awhile".

Have you left the bunker??

A while is trying to play it 4 or 5 hrs long sessions. I've left the bunker and currently at megaton city. Not sure what to do next besides talk to people. Have tried different sites that have walkthroughs and such and read them but doesn't seem to help.

A while is trying to play it 4 or 5 hrs long sessions. I've left the bunker and currently at megaton city. Not sure what to do next besides talk to people. Have tried different sites that have walkthroughs and such and read them but doesn't seem to help.

The owner of the upper level bar has info about your pop. You can get it in a variety of ways. I forget what he knows, but essentially you'll be heading off to fix the radio station next as far as the 'supposed to' path in the main mission goes. (these early parts of the main mission can be accidently bypassed by wandering around meaning the 'supposed to' path doesn't really need following). You'll probably want to fix that radio station anyway, as it provides most of the audio entertainment in the game.

otherwise in megaton--the shopkeeper has a long string of somewhat annoying missions (they do show you around the local area pretty well), or you could activate the save/destroy megaton mission by talking to the sheriff or slimy guy at the bar about 'the bomb.' You could even opt to deliver a letter for one of the ladies at the bar, which turns into another whole ordeal, and on the way to that one you pass right buy a couple more 'whole ordeals.'

Edited by Reaperman

Well, the the next bit is to decide what you're going to do there. They have a freaking great bomb in the centre of the settlement. There are people in Megaton who'll want your help either way. This is where you start to define yourself as 'hero of the wasteland' or 'biggest bastard in videogames'. The shooter bit will kick off later, you've got some formidable enemies waiting for you out there. I do recommend, however, that you don't trash Megaton. Its a really useful base later on as you're exploring the wider world.

I know where you're coming from, it is a slow start and it's very non linear. However, this really does allow for a truly memorable and immersive experience. The Fallout world is superbly realised and the myriad little sub plots give it real life. Totally worth persevering with.

I think it is a great game and have realized I really like to play the game. If you make your way to megaton and can manage to kill everyone in the town except for your robot and the lady in the explorer shop...the game can be quite interesting. You can buy all your supplies from her and then move on to the tenpenny towers. Kille veryone there and then move on ...it is just a fun game....if you understand the concept. The first time I walked into the abandoned town, I wanted to cry when I saw the stuff animal bears and realized there used to be children in this town before the nuclear fallout.....then I moved on....icon_mrgreen.gif

I think it is a great game and have realized I really like to play the game. If you make your way to megaton and can manage to kill everyone in the town except for your robot and the lady in the explorer shop...the game can be quite interesting. You can buy all your supplies from her and then move on to the tenpenny towers. Kille veryone there and then move on ...it is just a fun game....if you understand the concept. The first time I walked into the abandoned town, I wanted to cry when I saw the stuff animal bears and realized there used to be children in this town before the nuclear fallout.....then I moved on....icon_mrgreen.gif

You killed everyone in Megaton?!?

You evil bastard! :twisted:

• Like 1

You killed everyone in Megaton?!?

You evil bastard! icon_twisted.gif

they were wrothless..I took all the items back to my spare room...I usually do this after I quickly obtain a partner for the game. He is the shit!

Everytime I go back to my little room..you can hear all the stuff being dropped from god knows where to spatter the floor. SOmetimes I pick it up and throw it around, but my place is a mess....