IGNORED

Killzone 2 opinions

rxd

So I finally got around to playing my copy of Killzone 2 and I find it to be a wierd experience. It's obviously a well made game, a ps3 Gears of War type game. Yet I find a lot of annoying things about it. I'm not sure if I like this game or dislike it. While I'm not really the biggest story guy in the world, I really can't seem to muster any interest in the characters at all. Also sometimes there's so much stuff going on I can't hear what is being said so I can't figure out what the game wants me to do. And this game seems very rigid in it's design, if you don't play a level exactly the way it's meant to be played you're not getting through it. I don't know, it certainly isn't bad, but I don't think it deserves all the extremely high ratings it got. I certainly preferred Gears of War a lot more though the are obviously very similar games. Just curious what others think...

Edited by rxd

I liked it a lot, but it was way too short. I've never had any problems of not knowing what to do since I just pushed on the d-pad to tell me where to go. I wish there was co-op and that they changed the multiplayer balancing system. It wasn't fun playing with people who constantly used rocket launchers. Other than that it was easily my top 5 favorite online multiplayer games for PS3. The third one I hope will address my gripes. I know for fact that there will be different locations like the first Killzone. I hope people will actually stick with it online when it comes out. It was very hard for me to find a decent match online a few months ago. I blame it on MW:2. But I think it makes a good step on the PS3 for the franchise. There wasn't any bugs or glitches when I played. I actually think it's very underappreciated like so many games because of MW:2.

Yeah the game was kind of hard to get into and the singleplayer is way too short, probably because they spent so much time on the graphics because those are great. I haven't ever messed with multiplayer. It was ok but I doubt I get Killzone 3 until I can find it for $20 or less.

• 3 months later...

Killzone 3 coming out soon....almost all reviews I have seen say its a big improvement over Killzone 2.

I liked Killzone 2 but I couldnt get into it cause I also had a hard time with it. I borrowed it from a friend, I never bought it.

I also didnt like the constant pausing between sections if I recall.

I will be buying Killzone 3 though because I felt the last game simply needed a few improvements and it seems they did a great job. Feb 22nd. :)

For whatever reason, I tend to dislike stories in games. Maybe this has something to do with my own age -- growing up in an era when the motivations of Pac-Man didn't require explanation. So, while I played a little bit of the campaign, I abandoned it without care.

Multiplayer, for me, is where it is at. Killzone 2 is quite good in this respect. And for all that its natural to lump all the FPS games together, there are a lot of nuances between most of them that make each a compellingly different experience. And within the confines of the genre, Killzone 2 and Gears of War are dramatically unalike; here, enjoying one, in no way should suggest you would enjoy the other.

There was an article released, recently, from a military officer as to which game is the most realistic. The dust effects in CoD MF 2 (if memory serves), scored points; but for actual gameplay, Killzone 2 felt the most realistic. Killzone 2 has a sense of inertia, so that running begins a little slowly and doesn't end immediate; and the speed at which one can bring the scope to your face feels vastly more realistic. Realism isn't a selling point for me -- I don't need realism in games, and, frankly, prefer that I not recreate the horrors of life with any fidelity. But, the physics do separate it from other games, and probably appeals to a different type of player.

And while I don't want to get sucked into the hype, Killzone 3 has my hopes up. Apparently the controls are a little tighter (less realistic, I'm guessing), which some people will like.

I've not play it in a while. As far as shooters go, Bad Company 2 is my obsession. But if you want to play with some AtariAgers some time, my PSN ID is the same as what I use on these forums.

Edited by durkada