IGNORED

ccatalyst Gameroom Collection.

ccatalyst

Anyhow boys and girls, im off to bed, speak to you soon.

Rikck

Good Evening Rick!

This is Gabriel! My small group and I came out to check out your Arcade on Friday afternoon! Don't know if you remember us but we REALLY appreciate the small tour you gave us! The place looks fantastic and I'm DEFINITELY excited on hearing when the opening day will be!! I passed the info of your arcade down to my local group of fighting game friends and we're all excited for the opening especially to play Street Fighter, King Of Fighters, Guilty Gear and VIRTUAL ON!!!!!

OMG VIRTUAL ON!!!!

Question Rick!

What version of Vritual On do you have? THAT GAME IS GOING TO BE SO HYPE!!!!

He has the original version I believe... atleast it's the original cabinet. I just had mine for sale for $200 but no one wanted it. I found someone to trade me for a Donkey kong junior tho so I am very happy

He has the original version I believe... atleast it's the original cabinet. I just had mine for sale for $200 but no one wanted it. I found someone to trade me for a Donkey kong junior tho so I am very happy

Wow, if I lived near you I would've been all over that game. Unless if it was the pink version, no one likes the pink version :P

Well everyone, we had opened if only slightly last week, for a few hours, had about 20 people come in and play, we are still doing small fixes, ikaruga needs new coin switches, we have new switches arriving for tsumo next week, and the ramune's, pocky's and other jap snacks are showing up on tuesday, we allowed people in to play because they kept knocking at our door while we were working to get everything finalized. So after the 5th or so person knocked, we finally gave in and just kept the doors open, we were fixing as the people were playing,and we have had our fair share of postive and of course some negative comments,

We got alot of praises and thank you's, from people that we were letting in , we were not officially opened yet, but we let them in to play reguardless, and if they found a problem we immediately appoligized then corrected the problem for them on the spot, We actually rewired and moved around buttons for one of our customers right then and there, i had the layout wrong, - "very long nights, as you all know from my posts", so i fixed it. while he played another game , by the time he was done with his game, the buttons were the way they were supposed to be. I would also explain to several of them how to play some of the games, if i saw they did not understand the game, i would show them how it was supposed to be played and i would even go as far as to put in another token for them to try it again, . I want to show everyone just how great an arcade can be.

On the negative side,We did have a guy complain that we did not have super street fighter 4 Arcade edition 2012, i polietly explained to him that no one in the usa does, and that it would take me a couple of months of lost revenue + $800 to get these 2 updated, he said i should do it anyways, "because noone wants to play an outdated game", very frustrated, after that discussion, oh and then he complained about playing $1.00 to play it in the first place. Grind teeth, count backwards.

Then we also had another one complain about our 3d, 42" monitors with 180 degree rotating displays and rumble seating with 5.1 surround sound and competition joysticks, that i should scrap the whole thing and replace it with a table and 23" 2 year old monitors, that that is what everyone wants. Not what i had setup.. boy that came as a surprise.

I was also refered to as a collector and a purist - yes they actually posted that, and that i was putting out games that noone wanted to play, becuase if they were not fighters, it was not worth being put out on the floor.

Do not get me wrong, I did get many positive remarks and i saw alot of smiles in these last 2 days, and that is what i wanted to build this for in the first place. So while i am sure i will continue to get what is a shump, noone wants to play that. - Yes i actually got that one too, with mushihimesama futari black label no less. But i am hoping the majority of people will come down, play and enjoy what i created here.

We are going to be doing a soft opening starting tuesday after 2pm and a grand opening on friday. Hoping to see plenty of you there. Please spread the word around, we could use your help and support to make this one of the great arcade destinations in florida, heck maybe even the US.

Merry christmas to all , and sorry for the rant, just had to get it off my chest.

Rick

Edited by ccatalyst

You're going to get complaints, no matter what you do. Only be concerned when the complaints get to a sizeable fraction of your customer base, and are for something other than the way you have things set up.

I can appreciate greatly any arcade that isn't down to driving and fighting games. Those aren't all that video gaming is. If I lived in the area, I'd happily come down and give you my business.

The one guy complaining that you need the latest Street Fighter: if he wants it that bad, and to play it for less than $1 a play, he should buy it for you, not expect you to lose at least two months of revenue to get it for him. And the other thinking you needed to scrap a high end rig for a simple table and dinky monitors, feh, he's probably as much purist as they come, insisting that any Atari 2600 needs to be hooked to a television with an actual dial for the channel select, and maxes out at 17".

Well everyone, the soft opening is done, and we are officially opened starting on tuesday the 3rd, it definately has not been easy, and we have had our definate trials and tribulations, issues such as coin mech problems, some pump it up sensor issues, 2 monitors go on us, buttons not layed out right,etc, etc, and we have been repairing them as fast as they happen, we ordered the sensors for pump it up which will be here in 10 days, and already replaced both monitors, and have fixed the coin mechs, we found out alot of people have been forcing & i do mean forcing quarters down the coin chutes, but i blame that entirely on myself for not having sign that says tokens only, we will fix that next week. but i have seen a lot of happy faces, and have gotten some great revues, see here

http://www.yelp.com/...e-odyssey-miami

and there is alot of interest in the gaming community down here in South florida, much more than i expected, we are adding 6 - Asus VH236H gaming monitors, 4 more 360s, 2 more ps3's and a 150lb 8ft tournament table for the fighting players to have a go at it. Now i know most of you are probably saying especially after the post i did earlier in the week, and the negative comments i got, "Rick are you crazy?" It is quite an investment, but after speaking to so many fighting gamers in the last week, and i mean these guys would talk with me for hours on end to try and show me how much they loved fighting games.But finally what really topped it off was seeing a large group of gamers walk in with monitors & joysticks under their arms, asking me if i would please put a box in a corner so they could play a tournament, and seeing the hope and enthusiasm in their faces, i said to my partner, anyone that is willing to go through so much trouble to show me how dedicated they are to fighting games definately deserves to have a place set up for such events. So these items will be installed and operational next week, and we will be having our first tournament. We also ordered Pulirula which i just won in a yahoo auction, if you do not know what this is, google it, you wont be sorry, that will be going in a cabinet in the next 2-3 weeks, and some of the games will begin to get changed out, we will be rotating games once every 3-6 weeks, depending on interest.

On a final note when i was getting ready to start this arcade i had plenty of discussions with my peers, and with other gamers, and 1 of the topics of discussion was the female gaming community, and most of them agreed than it simply was not there, that there was 20 boy gamers for every girl gamer, the reason i mention this is because i had a group come in yesterday, which mainly consisted of Girls, and we spoke for over an hour maybe two, "i lost track of time", about gaming and japanese arcade titles, and believe me guys, these girls are every bit as dedicated, if not more so than alot of the boys i have met, and it is a trend i hope continues to grow, they were definately interested in the Japanese Schumps, and Japanese Anime fighters and i will continue to bring in many more titles along those lines for them to play.

Anyhow that is all for now, many thanks to everyone that have visited the Arcade and posted in this forum, you have all been a great help and been an endless pool of inspiration and pushed me along, even when the pressure seemed overwhelming, many of you will remember "yikes and away". I am looking forward to seeing many more of you come on down, if you see me walking around the isles and have any gaming questions, please do not hesistate to ask, i love all video games and their history, be it home, handheld or arcade, and look forward to speaking to all of you. May you all have a happy, safe and prosperous New Years, see you soon.

Rick

Edited by ccatalyst

Wow Rick! Thanks for all the updates, man this place sounds so cool. Make sure to get a few good "action" shots when the arcade is it's most busy. Those are the coolest. Especially this girl gamer group you speak of, I can only hope my Daughter will take this path :) Very Cool!!

As far as the unhappy "complainers" goes - You will never achive 100% customer satisfaction and be careful you don't make even more unhappy customers trying to please the ones that will never be happy, not worth it. Some people are just negative, and they will NEVER be happy. Think "law of attaction" on this one, they are just looking for the next thing to complain about. Without negativity there lives are boring, it's sad but true.

Listen to people that give you positive feedback, they will be your core customer/audience anyways so it's the only feedback that really matters.

Congrats on the opening, whenever I can get down to FL this is my FIRST stop!!!

• Like 1

Came in last tuesday and I had a blast!! My girlfriend and I fell in love with the Dance Mania machine and the old school area 51 machine!! =D

I can't wait till you have those monitors/consoles up and running! I would love to start coming in once or twice a week to play fighting games with my fellow community! I expect a lot of hype moments. NOT only in the fighting games but the various games around the center. TRUST ME these people GET HYPE!

I remember when Nexus was around people would GO CRAZY over PUZZLE BOBBLE hahahaha.

Hey Rick! Question! Any idea on current pricing for hourly/all day passes for console use ONLY?

That's the main question me and all my friends are wondering. We know you got the great monitors with great framerate and consoles with the updated games running. That's awesome! We all got sticks/pads to use and bring, so we are set there but we all want to know how much do we need to spend to buy an all day pass to play on the consoles alone.

Most of us want to spend 5-10 hours a day playing fighting games!

Hey there Gabriel, Im very happy you had a great time, Sorry it took me a while to get back to you, we have been pretty busy getting everything setup for the consoles, & we are still not offically done, we worked out the console pricing from 6pm-9pm on mon-thurs for $5.00 & 6pm-12am fri-sat for $7.00, looking forward to seeing you again.

Rick

And finally it has been a while since i have posted anything for the console fans out there, so here is my latest update,No you are not seeing double in the pic, it is a second RDI Halcyon laser disc player, i heard that supposedly there was a few of these floating around, but this is only the 2nd one i have ever seen, It is not the entire system :( but here it is, at least 1/2 of it, and now it has been added to the collective. well just got home from the arcade it is almost 3am, had a great time talking to the players and the support has been great, man am i pooped, see you all next post, or if you get a chance, drop by the arcade.

Many Thanks

Rick

post-26445-0-53929600-1325922269_thumb.jpg

Edited by ccatalyst

I don't remember the exact number, but I think it was between 700 and 1000 of the laserdisc players were made. Your new one makes 5 or 6 that I've seen now. They were apparently sold out as regular LD players in the California area once RDI folded.

I thought 400 RDI systems were made but the book I am remembering that number from is long destroyed/eaten by my old dog so I can't check :( The book didn't mention anything about them being sold as regular players later on though so maybe that is were the increased number comes into play :)

I thought 400 RDI systems were made but the book I am remembering that number from is long destroyed/eaten by my old dog so I can't check :( The book didn't mention anything about them being sold as regular players later on though so maybe that is were the increased number comes into play :)

I'm working from my rusty memory here, so don't take this as gospel. The number of actual complete systems made is still mostly speculation, but the little bit of RDI paperwork that exists indicates no more than about 25 with the number being likely closer to 10 or less. I'm aware of 4 complete systems in private hands with a rumor indicating a 5th system being sold on ebay many years ago.

The story on the LD units (half of the system) is that RDI had to make a minimum order for Pioneer to rebrand the unit (outside of the branding, it's a bone stock player that Pioneer sold at retail). I'm thinking it was 700, but I'll have to dig to see if I can find the posts from the guy that has the RDI paperwork now.

I've posted a little bit of technical info here, but I'll dig around later and see if I can find the posts with the numbers in them.

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/pg80-rdi.htm

I'm working from my rusty memory here, so don't take this as gospel. The number of actual complete systems made is still mostly speculation, but the little bit of RDI paperwork that exists indicates no more than about 25 with the number being likely closer to 10 or less. I'm aware of 4 complete systems in private hands with a rumor indicating a 5th system being sold on ebay many years ago.

The story on the LD units (half of the system) is that RDI had to make a minimum order for Pioneer to rebrand the unit (outside of the branding, it's a bone stock player that Pioneer sold at retail). I'm thinking it was 700, but I'll have to dig to see if I can find the posts from the guy that has the RDI paperwork now.

I've posted a little bit of technical info here, but I'll dig around later and see if I can find the posts with the numbers in them.

http://www.videogame...om/pg80-rdi.htm

Oh, I see, only a few actual systems were sold but the rest were just the players. Interesting :)

Hello everyone, today i have updates on both the Arcade and Console fronts, We have now been open since Dec 27th , so we have not even been opened a month yet, And it has been a labor or love, with both the love and hate parts thrown in for good measure, Here are some reviews and talk about Arcade Odyssey for everyone to check out

http://arcadeheroes.com/2011/12/31/arcade-odyssey-now-open-in-miami-fl/

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14103&start=60

http://www.villagebbs.com/forum/index.php/topic,12945.0.html

http://www.yelp.com/biz/arcade-odyssey-miami

Not too shabby for 3 weeks, Also i have implemented some new ideas in the Arcade,

#1) Starting this thursday and every thursday afterwards, it's ladies night, which means all girls that come into the arcade after 5pm will get to play any game they want at the tournament table, till closing for free.

#2) This saturday the 21st, we are having our first of many more to come, cosplay night, anyone that shows up in cosplay will get $2.00 in free tokens to play, and at midnight the sexiest/coolest costume wins $5.00 in tokens and a free Ramune and free pocky of their choice.

Also i have had some requests for some updated pictures, and here they are

http://www.facebook.com/arcadeodyssey

you have to select the photo album weekend of 1/14/2012 to see the new photos, these are great and really capture the feel of our Arcade.

There are additional changes that i will be trying to implement soon, some will really be on the edge, and hopefully push what an arcade is to new grounds, but i will save those for a later post.

As for the console front, They are getting harder and harder to find something new - or should i say old?, and even harder to get the other collector to sell it, but here is the latest acquisition , it is a playtime light games system, here are the pics, hope you all enjoy, and see you on the grid.

End of Line......

post-26445-0-07532800-1326864586_thumb.jpg

post-26445-0-09619200-1326864589_thumb.jpg

post-26445-0-24760300-1326864592_thumb.jpg

post-26445-0-38519000-1326864595_thumb.jpg

post-26445-0-29900900-1326864598_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, Sorry about the long hiatus, just been real busy at the arcade lately, Yawn - 7 days a week will put quite a strain on you, we'll i have been buying arcade boards here and there, mainly atomiswave & neo geo carts, here are some links so you guys can check out some of the reviews and some pics of the arcade in it's current condition .

Links:

http://arcadeheroes.com/2011/12/31/arcade-odyssey-now-open-in-miami-fl/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/arcade-odyssey-miami

http://www.villagebbs.com/forum/index.php/topic,12945.0.html

http://www.facebook.com/arcadeodyssey

http://my.hsj.org/Schools/Newspaper/tabid/100/view/frontpage/articleid/497754/newspaperid/48/Arcade_lovers_take_off_on_a_new_Odyssey.aspx

On the console front, it has been dead, D-E-A-D , i continue to look for stragler systems but no cigar. hopefully will get my hands on something soon and can update you all at that time. Let me know what you guys think of the reviews.

Good Night - Rick

• Like 1

The best earners are

1 - x-men 6 player

2 - the act

3 - ssfIVae and cvs2 pretty much neck and neck

4 - virtual on

5 - pump it up new genesis

6 - dance maniax 2nd mix jap append and punch mania 2 - also very close

7 - air hockey

8 - pins - all of them

9 - rest of the systems are pretty much even give or a couple of days

Edited by ccatalyst

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, you asked for videos, here they are, sorry it has taken so long, but we have been pretty busy trying to get this arcade to be the best it can, this one was done by 1 of our patrons, it gives you a pretty good idea what to expect at Arcade Odyssey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hu7g0Je47w&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

And here is partially why we have been so busy, this is challenge accepted

Episode 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWg6_gxeoP8

Episode 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM1SQDQgn4I

Episode 2, behind the scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4daB5W8IHT4

Here is 1 of our cosplay events: check out the pics

http://www.facebook....04668157&type=1

And here are some of our half time shows during the tournaments we run - part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYiIsCGshHs

Here is the 2nd halftime show, same day, just 2nd dance set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuf0NJcQwco

Well that's all for now, once again I'd like to say sorry it took so long to post, just not enough hours in the day. Hope you all enjoy , and let me know what you think.

Many Thanks

Rick

PS:Oh before i forget you can follow us on facebook at www.facebook.com/arcadeodyssey.

Edited by ccatalyst