IGNORED

3DO - should I get one at this price?

I don't know which model it is, I know nothing about them. It's just a loose system with a boxed copy of GEX.

If you can describe what it looks like, we can tell you the model it is:

- Front loader model, mostly square, black, has round nubs on all four corners, is the first US model, the FZ-1 (Panasonic).

- Front-loader, semi-square, mostly gray unit. Has a circular plastic platter on the top with a different color from the base. This is the second US model (Goldstar).

- Top-loader is the third model, the FZ-10 (Panasonic).

Now that I think about it, I don't know why I asked. I think each model is roughly the same in value.

With a controller (or 2)?

The 3DO uses a custom controller. It's 9-pin standard plug, but NOT compatible with anything other than 3DO joysticks.

I got mine in Keizer (yep, just up the road) with joysticks (2) but no games for $40, but I've not seen another one in this area, so I think that was a fluke.

There's a nice looking FZ-1 on e-bait now for $70 BIN with a game and joystick.

And there's one for $50, no bids yet, with 1 game and 2 joysticks.

Of course, you have to deal with e-bait and shipping..

If it comes with a controller (or 2) for that price, it's probably worth it, especially being local.

desiv

I'd say yes, but be sure you really want the 3DO first. It has a handful of truly awesome games, a great number of mediocre games, and some absolute crap that can only be appreciated ironically. The up-side is that the 3DO reads CDRs, so it won't cost much to try out everything it has to offer. You might listen to the HG101 podcast on the 3DO to see if you really want one. If you do, that's a fair price. Make sure it's not a Goldstar unit though, people have nothing but trouble with those.

In short,no. I found one for twenty bucks at a flea market. The guy didn't even know what it was! Had one game, Space Hulk. I was pretty stoked to get it, but I quickly found out that 3do sucks, IMO. Glad to have it, but now it just collects dust on a shelf in my gameroom

... I quickly found out that 3do sucks, IMO. Glad to have it, but now it just collects dust on a shelf in my gameroom

That's the great things about the numerous systems out there. There's something for everyone.

There are many people who would disagree with the above comment. Although I'm sure it's true for him..

As has been said above, try out the games.. There are some (IMHO) incredible games.

Need for Speed, Road Rash, Gex, Street Fighter II Turbo... Now, there are also some of the worst games ever released, but that's the nature of the biz. ;-)

If you're not sure, grab an emulator and try it... (And there are some good vids on Youtube)

Heck, my wife even likes the design of the FZ-1, so it's the system that stays connected to the living room TV. ;-)

desiv

I was pretty stoked to get it, but I quickly found out that 3do sucks, IMO.

This is exactly why I said it depends on whether you really want one or not. You have to be a little quirky to enjoy the 3DO. The kind of person who thinks a Genesis-32X-CD combo is awesome, rather than a monstrosity. The kind of person who loved that short period in computing history when decoding video was feasible but rendering in 3D was not. You almost have to love the history of video games more than the video games itself.

Or, you might just be a big Road Rash fan. If you like Road Rash, the 3DO is well worth getting simply for a dedicated Road Rash machine.

3do is one of those systems currently on an upswing. They are just not appearing below the $50 threshold much any more. I'd be willing to bet that yuppie and others like myself who have scored them for $20 and less over the years have not seen one if any in the past year at any local shops or thrifts? Collectors and eBay resellers got clued in and they have become increasingly hard to get. I think $50 is a good price, that is a possible price. Holding your breath for $20 may take a long while these days.

AX

• Like 1

Oh, it's also worth mentioning that the CD encryption on the 3DO has only recently been cracked. That means it's now possible to write your own software for the 3DO. There's even SDK around, but it only runs on old macs. Works fine under emulation though. If you're interested in developing homebrew, the 3DO might be worth looking at.

The 3DO DID have a lot of great games on it, though. Until the recent free remake it had the best version of Star Control II, one of the best games ever made. Also had some really great ports of games like Super Street Fighter II, Super Wing Commander, Wing Commander 3, and Geko. And some really obscure and unique games also.

...Assuming it's still there next time I get there? Saw a 3DO with a copy of GEX for $69.99. Now I know that 3DOs are rare (I don't really see them that often there), but should I get it at this price or just skip it?

Wow, seventy bucks is pretty expensive for a 3DO. I bought mine for $25 and it came with several games, including the totally bitchin' Super Street Fighter II Turbo. Then again, this was over a decade ago...

I'd say weasel him down to fifty bucks at least. Seventy is a really high price for a 3DO and one game.

...Assuming it's still there next time I get there? Saw a 3DO with a copy of GEX for $69.99. Now I know that 3DOs are rare (I don't really see them that often there), but should I get it at this price or just skip it?

I have a weird love / hate relationship with the 3DO. I literally just created a new GOAT Store / me game station area in the basement, and one of the first systems I figured out that I was putting in was a 3DO. Having said that, I simply don't enjoy practically anything for this console. I LOVE the Incredible Machine and I LOVE Lost Eden and I don't play anything else on it. Yet, it was hooked up practically immediately, and I have for whatever reason spent time on the setup of lots of other consoles playing the 3DO with weird games that I have in stock at the GOAT Store for no real reason -- I can't say that I found much I'd want to play again, but it keeps beckoning me back to play games on it.

You do generally need to be a little quirky to enjoy the console. It was at that odd point in time where they basically just started making 3D games, so most of the 3D games (which is like 90% of the library) are weirdly experimental and pretty bad looking. Definitely an interesting thing to see, however, and probably a big part of the reason that I like it. Creativity on it was clearly in full effect, although a lot of it was misplaced I think.

$69.99 with Gex is a pretty good price if you want it. Gex is a platformer a lot of people really like -- I'm not one of them. If it is a Panasonic FZ-10 (top loader) that's an outstanding price. Panasonic FZ-1 (front loader) that is a good price. The Goldstar systems are pretty crappy -- in fact, I have one in stock right now at the GOAT Store and you could pick it up with Gex for less than $69.99 minus shipping -- but add in more games you actually wanted to play, as well as add on additional controllers and stuff -- the controllers are becoming pretty hard to find.

Other games I'd suggest trying would be Shockwave 1, 2 and Operation Jumpgate (you need 1 though for that one), Need for Speed, Street Fighter II Turbo (if you like those games, it's a great version), Return Fire, Road Rash and Star Wars Rebel Assault. Oh yeah, and Star Control II for sure. I found fun in all those games at one point or another, although the only two that keep calling me back are the Incredible Machine and Lost Eden (and god knows why on that one -- it is REALLY basic).

Enjoy :)

You do generally need to be a little quirky to enjoy the console.

Hey, I er.. er.. um..

Ok, that's a fair cop.. :roll: :D

Shockwave 1, 2 and Operation Jumpgate (you need 1 though for that one), Need for Speed, Street Fighter II Turbo (if you like those games, it's a great version), Return Fire, Road Rash and Star Wars Rebel Assault. Oh yeah, and Star Control II for sure.

Yep, all great games..

I do feel a bit guilty about Street Fighter.

It's such a great port, I think I really need it to show off the 3DO.. But..

Other than Karateka on the Apple II, I really don't like fighting games.. ;-)

I've been firing up my 3DO for Alone in the Dark a bit recently. Not my normal style of game, but kind of fun to play/see on the system.

(Don't have/never had a Playstation or more modern system other than the Wii (for Wii Fit.. hasn't helped, not the games fault tho). )

desiv

You do generally need to be a little quirky to enjoy the console.

Hey, I er.. er.. um..

Ok, that's a fair cop.. :roll: :D

Someone else mentioned it first, and I was going to deny it at first to but then I thought about the other consoles I have hooked up:

Sega CDX with 32X or Master System attachment (yeah it works but looks ultra weird!), CDi, Jaguar, and 3DO are all set up. No denying that isn't "normal" taste ;)

Shockwave 1, 2 and Operation Jumpgate (you need 1 though for that one), Need for Speed, Street Fighter II Turbo (if you like those games, it's a great version), Return Fire, Road Rash and Star Wars Rebel Assault. Oh yeah, and Star Control II for sure.

Yep, all great games..

I do feel a bit guilty about Street Fighter.

It's such a great port, I think I really need it to show off the 3DO.. But..

Other than Karateka on the Apple II, I really don't like fighting games.. ;-)

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Street Fighter at all. The only 2D fighting game that I really appreciate is Kasumi Ninja. Back to that whole 'weird' thing...

I've been firing up my 3DO for Alone in the Dark a bit recently. Not my normal style of game, but kind of fun to play/see on the system.

(Don't have/never had a Playstation or more modern system other than the Wii (for Wii Fit.. hasn't helped, not the games fault tho). )

I forgot all about those - the AitD games were the FIRST 3D survival horror games ever, so if you like your Resident Evil or whatever, it's an interesting history lesson if nothing else. I've never figured out how to get too far in them, but I'm also not really into survival horror games.

Speaking of history lesson games, John Madden Football on the 3DO is in many ways the first 'modern' football game. To me, it actually holds up really well. FIFA Soccer is pretty decent too.

3do is one of those systems currently on an upswing. They are just not appearing below the $50 threshold much any more. I'd be willing to bet that yuppie and others like myself who have scored them for $20 and less over the years have not seen one if any in the past year at any local shops or thrifts? Collectors and eBay resellers got clued in and they have become increasingly hard to get. I think $50 is a good price, that is a possible price. Holding your breath for $20 may take a long while these days.

Like Ax said above, prices are on the uprise and you probably won't find one cheaper than what's available to you, unless you get lucky. Units have been dirt-cheap in the past, but that's not typically the case anymore with these systems.

Regarding having to be quirky to enjoy the console, I do disagree to an extent. There are plenty of options in the "mainstream" department across a wide array of genres, more-so than other failed platforms of the day (Jaguar, CD-i, CD32, etc.). However, thanks to the odd licensing model 3DO used for it, there is plenty of shovelware on the system, as if new programmers were just getting their start on this system. I recommend anyone new to the platform to do their homework before buying random games for it.

I have my original Goldstar 3DO but I think the CD drive is wore out/ laser is off... For a while in the 90's I used it as my CD player (and I listened to alot of music). After a few years of that it started having trouble reading disks. I can get a game to load only on about the 20th-30th try.

Is there anyway to repair/replace the drives in these things?

I have my original Goldstar 3DO but I think the CD drive is wore out/ laser is off... For a while in the 90's I used it as my CD player (and I listened to alot of music). After a few years of that it started having trouble reading disks. I can get a game to load only on about the 20th-30th try.

Is there anyway to repair/replace the drives in these things?

http://www.datacentra.net/other/3do/

• Like 1