IGNORED

Assassins Creed

jeremysart

I might be three years late on this one, but my God!

I just bought the game for $6, and was completely blown away. It would be nice if more developers put this amount of detail into their games!

The world that you get to explore as Altair is incredibly detailed. I have yet to see another 360 game with this level of carefull attention to details.

All of the cities are beautifully rendered with gorgeous textures, and just the right amount of bloom lighting. The sound is also very important in the game. When you are up on high points like towers, you hear nothing but birds, the wind, or the occasional dog barking off in the distance. But on the ground, you hear the bustling city, beggars crying for help, people talking about politics or religion, people arguing, guards harassing people. But they don't over do it, you hear what you need to, and a lot of eaves dropping is involved in this game.

I was also impressed by how natural the cities look.. for a game that was developed with being able to hop and climb all over, you would never guess by looking at it, that it was designed around being able to easily get around. Nothing feels fake in this game, and everything from pigeon shit on ledges, to wheel barrels of hay, little intricate art details on building sides to the stone textures on the ground.. no detail is spared!

I would have to give this game a 9.5 out of 10.

(edit: grammar correction)

Edited by jeremysart

I got it for 11$ for the ps3, its a fun game, but maybe its only ps3, but the only gripe I have about it is the framerate. It slows down at times. I've heard that the 360 has some slowdown on this game, is that true?

I hate that one city thats grey. too much grey, and it looks like it got hit by a plauge...

Otherwise, I've enjoyed playing this game.

I never got through the 'required' how-to-play level. You know, where you have to hold a button to sneak...I would avoid the people, walk slow, hold the button but no matter what, I was still seen.

It didn't help that one of my friends borrowed it and blew through that section in the first time, slamming into people and everything.

I was just like "WTF" oh well, it'll make a good coaster I guess.

I got it for 11$ for the ps3, its a fun game, but maybe its only ps3, but the only gripe I have about it is the framerate. It slows down at times. I've heard that the 360 has some slowdown on this game, is that true?

I hate that one city thats grey. too much grey, and it looks like it got hit by a plauge...

My wife and I are both playing this game right now, and neither of us have experienced slow downs, however, the whole grey thing.. well that is my biggest gripe about the game. The detail in this game is phenomenal, its a shame they didnt use a little more color, everything seems very washed out. Other than that, its a beautiful game thats sure to not be like anything else you have played..

Speaking of which, ARE there ANY Ninja games like this???

I loved the first Assassin's Creed game, haven't played the second one yet.

jeremysart - the one caveat I have to your glowing review (and believe me I love this game and have finished it) is you may discover as you play it that there is a lot of repetition. I think Ubisoft did a great job in creating a new game with a new playing style so I certainly don't fault them too much, however always entering the city the exact same way for each city in the game seemed a little weak.

But yes this game looks amazing and when you get good at the killing moves it can be supremely satisfying to swoop down on a guard and jab him in the head.

As far as slow downs go, I also have the PS3 version and I did notice sometimes looking quickly around huge landscape scenes (for example coming down a hill toward a city) I had some framerate issues but nothing game-breaking. I have seen the same issue in Heavy Rain (which was developed specifically for the PS3) in the night club scene so I think it's just the hardware doing its best with the task at hand.

I think Ubisoft did a great job in creating a new game with a new playing style so I certainly don't fault them too much, however always entering the city the exact same way for each city in the game seemed a little weak.

I was thinking the same thing! It would have been at least a tiny bit better if they explained it off as the people you "blend" with, as hired by the Assassins to help sneak you in. But no, just random chanting people in white robes that instantly stat moving when you enter their group :|

I just think more developers could learn from the amount of detail and art put into the game.

I think Ubisoft did a great job in creating a new game with a new playing style so I certainly don't fault them too much, however always entering the city the exact same way for each city in the game seemed a little weak.

I was thinking the same thing! It would have been at least a tiny bit better if they explained it off as the people you "blend" with, as hired by the Assassins to help sneak you in. But no, just random chanting people in white robes that instantly stat moving when you enter their group icon_neutral.gif

I just think more developers could learn from the amount of detail and art put into the game.

Hey, you could always run though, or go on those rafters above the gaurds.

The graphics are absolutely stunning. I loved it until I got about 1/4 of the way through. At that point it was feeling a little repetitive. Every character upgrade was just more of the same. By the time I was 1/2 way through I could only play it occasionally and I don't think I've played for almost a year.

I don't remember any slowdown but it's been a while since I've played it.

Modern games seem to have an obsession with earth tones in an effort to be more realistic but I think they take it too far.

When someone asks why they should buy a new console I show them this game and it blows them away.

I never got through the 'required' how-to-play level. You know, where you have to hold a button to sneak...I would avoid the people, walk slow, hold the button but no matter what, I was still seen.

It didn't help that one of my friends borrowed it and blew through that section in the first time, slamming into people and everything.

I was just like "WTF" oh well, it'll make a good coaster I guess.

I had to do that about 20 times before I got it right. It seems to me there was a trick to it but I can't remember what it was.

I felt the same way as the OP when I started playing Assassin's Creed. Unfortunately, the repetitiveness of the missions killed it for me somewhere in Block 5, I think.

Great atmosphere, but the eavesdrop and intimidate mission types were both weak. Saving the Citizens got old once I grew tired of the block/counter kill/ repeat combat. The missions I really enjoyed were the flag challenges and assassinations, which were in short supply.

Finally, I thought the game went from laughably easy to "Everyone in the city is going to kill you (or at least prevent you from completing your next mission)" without much comfortable middle ground.

I was thinking the same thing! It would have been at least a tiny bit better if they explained it off as the people you "blend" with, as hired by the Assassins to help sneak you in. But no, just random chanting people in white robes that instantly stat moving when you enter their group :|

Outside each city you rescue one of the brotherhood from some guards. From that point on, that group of monks helps you.

Graphically it was absolutely beautiful, but honestly as a game it bored me to tears. I hear the second one is supposed to play better but I haven't tried it yet...

Got it but hardly touched it so far. There is more of a story to it than the first from what I've seen so far.

I'm going to have to give it a proper spin.:ponder:

Played and beat the original, had the same thoughts of it as many of the other posters -- wonderfull athmosphere, great story, good characters, but the gameplay got borring.

Anyone played the sequel? How does that compare?

The sequel was rated very highly, it even competed for Game of the Year in many forums. If the main character or setting didn't turn me off I'd probably play that one because Ubisoft made some real improvements over the first game.

I'd like to know what's happening with any possible Assassin's Creed 3, I mean, it's been a year since 2, where's the next chapter? (And no Brotherhood doesn't count) What time will it be set in, who will the main character be, etc.? If it's a motif I can get behind I might just get back into the series.

Then again, with Thief 4 coming, I might just wait for that instead.

• 8 months later...

Since I have the free 30 day PlayStation Plus membership that Sony gave everyone as part of their Welcome Back package, I downloaded Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (since it's available for PlayStation Plus members) last night to compare the quality of the graphics to original Assassin's Creed.

I have to say I am far more impressed with original Assassin's Creed.

The newer game's textures look really muddy and the quality of facial detail in Brotherhood is definitely sub-par when compared to original AC. Roaming the rooftops of the city looked okay and the action is smooth and fun but I was really disappointed in how Brotherhood looked when I consider the quality that the first game had.

Here's hoping the new Assassin's Creed: Revelations improves the graphics back to original AC level.

I really missed the sun-blocking cloud effect when AC2 came out. That really helped make AC1 seem more "alive". Instead, we got some choppy, fake-looking shadows moving across as the sun passed over. A nice idea, but damn, it was so choppy. Guess they could claim it's an Animus "feature"?

• 2 weeks later...