IGNORED

Looking for any info on 3 NES games

atari2600land

Hey, NintendoAge has cool info on just about all the Tengen unreleased games except three: Cyberball, Hard Drivin' and Licence to Kill. Does anyone have any info, or better yet, screenshots for these games?

Although not released under the Tengen moniker, Cyberball was released as a licensed game for the NES. It was eventually released by Jaleco and is one of maybe 4 games (Gauntlet, RBI Baseball, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom I want to say are the other three) that was license but does not appear on Nintendo's official releases list.

As for the other two, what is know about Hard Driving has already been posted and there is very little info out there about License to kill. Hope this helps!

Hey, NintendoAge has cool info on just about all the Tengen unreleased games except three: Cyberball, Hard Drivin' and Licence to Kill. Does anyone have any info, or better yet, screenshots for these games?

Hard Drivin' was already discussed but yes,

all these NES carts were most likely INTENDED to be Tengen games:

Cyberball & Rampart (Jaleco)

Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom / Road Blasters / 720 / Gauntlet 2 (Mindscape)

Marble Madness (Milton Bradley)

After Atari lost its battle with Nintendo for the Tetris home console rights, they fell from grace in Nintendo's eyes and despite the fact that Tetris was supposed to be LICENSED release number 4 for the NES (Pacman / Gauntlet / RBI Baseball), sadly it would never happen.

I remember calling the Nintendo Game Play Counselor hotline late one night purely to "cause problems" by asking for help with NES Gauntlet. When the counselor graciously replied by saying: "oh I apologize son, but we cannot give any tips on unlicensed software for the system" (which I expected of course) I then proceeded to argue my case that I purchased my LICENSED copy of the game at full price from an authorized Nintendo retailer and that they had no choice but to make an exception. It didn't matter how legit my argument was, they still refused.

Anyhow, had the relationship not gone so bad between them, Tengen may very well have been like Konami & Capcom with dozens of titles released for the system. As it stood, they still managed to make quite a few games, but many of them were apparently delegated to other licensees as a "work-around" of Nintendo's revocation of their license.

This brings us to our next topic, NES License to Kill. (the original title for the movie was License Revoked, but much like Revenge of the Jedi, the title was changed prior to release) Anyhow, the game never saw official release by Tengen on the NES, but it did see release on the Sega Genesis. "Domark's James Bond 007 The Duel" was the eventual mutation of the License to Kill romset.

I can provide some screenshots of the NES License to Kill proto so you can see what the game looked like if your interested.

Edited by Supergun
  • Like 1

Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom / Road Blasters / 720 / Gauntlet 2 (Mindscape)

After Atari lost its battle with Nintendo for the Tetris home console rights, they fell from grace in Nintendo's eyes and despite the fact that Tetris was supposed to be LICENSED release number 4 for the NES (Pacman / Gauntlet / RBI Baseball), sadly it would never happen.

I remember calling the Nintendo Game Play Counselor hotline late one night purely to "cause problems" by asking for help with NES Gauntlet. When the counselor graciously replied by saying: "oh I apologize son, but we cannot give any tips on unlicensed software for the system" (which I expected of course) I then proceeded to argue my case that I purchased my LICENSED copy of the game at full price from an authorized Nintendo retailer and that they had no choice but to make an exception. It didn't matter how legit my argument was, they still refused.

Anyhow, had the relationship not gone so bad between them, Tengen may very well have been like Konami & Capcom with dozens of titles released for the system. As it stood, they still managed to make quite a few games, but many of them were apparently delegated to other licensees as a "work-around" of Nintendo's revocation of their license.

This brings us to our next topic, NES License to Kill. (the original title for the movie was License Revoked, but much like Revenge of the Jedi, the title was changed prior to release) Anyhow, the game never saw official release by Tengen on the NES, but it did see release on the Sega Genesis. "Domark's James Bond 007 The Duel" was the eventual mutation of the License to Kill romset.

I can provide some screenshots of the NES License to Kill proto so you can see what the game looked like if your interested.

Yes, please provide some screenshots of the Licence to Kill proto. Has it been dumped yet? Your Game Play Counselor story is quite amusing. Makes me wonder why Nintendo didn't like the Game Genie. You'd think MORE people would run out and buy NES games because they'd be easier.

Having purchased a Marble Madness proto in person from one of the higher-ups at Rare during the NES era, I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that it was never intended to be released by Tengen. I don't have much to add on the others, though I do own a License to Kill Genesis proto with prototype box art if anyone were interested in that.

Have you dumped the Genesis License to Kill? Is it like The Duel? Every other version of License to Kill that Dormark released on various computer platforms feature top-view gaming. Levels were like Tiger Heli, Jackal, Cobra Triangle, and Spy Hunter. Bare little resemblance to The Duel though.

Have you dumped the Genesis License to Kill? Is it like The Duel? Every other version of License to Kill that Dormark released on various computer platforms feature top-view gaming. Levels were like Tiger Heli, Jackal, Cobra Triangle, and Spy Hunter. Bare little resemblance to The Duel though.

Oops! I have a proto of The Duel, NOT License to Kill. My mistake, was going by memory.

It appears to be near identical to finished version. My apologies.

You mean Domark. They published all of Tengen's computer games and Megadrive games in Europe.

Oops! I have a proto of The Duel, NOT License to Kill. My mistake, was going by memory.

That's okay. This is the list of Tengen unreleased games:

Airball

Cyberball

Hard Drivin'

Licence to Kill

Police Academy (Version 1)

Police Academy (Version 2)

Technocop

Tetris (Licensed)

Xybots

I think all of them were complete, except maybe Police Academy. These are the mag scans Lost Levels did for License to Kill. As a big Bond fan, I wish someone would release the rom, even though the PC version is not a great game.

3476500613_c8bd11356e_o.jpg

00701.jpg

That's okay. This is the list of Tengen unreleased games:

Airball

Cyberball

Hard Drivin'

Licence to Kill

Police Academy (Version 1)

Police Academy (Version 2)

Technocop

Tetris (Licensed)

Xybots

I think all of them were complete, except maybe Police Academy. These are the mag scans Lost Levels did for License to Kill. As a big Bond fan, I wish someone would release the rom, even though the PC version is not a great game.

3476500613_c8bd11356e_o.jpg

00701.jpg

Yeah, I own one of the (four?) builds of Airball as well as one of the two known copies of Licensed Tengen Tetris, so I'm very familiar with those two. Like I said before though, Cyberball was very much released and is the same game as mentioned on the Tengen list, that's for certain and why it's one of very few games that does not appear on Nintendo's official releases list.

You really think Hard Driving was finished? The screens that I have seen are VERY early and seemed to push the limits of the NES. I'd be shocked if they completed that one and then shelved it.

• 2 years later...

Not trying to divide breaking news into two threads, but I just felt that this thread needed some closure!

http://www.lostlevels.org/hard-drivin/

The lesson to be learned here I think is NEVER SAY NEVER!

No matter how incomplete an unreleased game may have been assumed or rumored to have been, you just NEVER know!

So don't ever give up searching. No matter what. Anything can happen. Nothing is impossible.

Looks pretty impressive actually and seems very smooth and fast.

It very well may of been the best version of Hard Drivin' on a classic system had it been finished judging by this WIP prototype. All the other classic era home ports of this and its sequel were plagued by slowness and choppiness that I've ever tried. It wasn't until the Saturn that one of these was done justice at home it seems.

Too bad it hadn't been finished. Whatever issue that Tengen saw here sure isn't evident to me after watching that video.

Edited by Atariboy

• 9 years later...

Apologies for bumping this old thread, but I was doing some unrelated research last night and I happened to come across some more NES Tengen License to Kill screenshots!

Well, sort of. I’ll explain the details a bit later tonight, but for now I just wanted to post them here.

Mind you, the quality is TERRIBLE but it’s because I did the best I could to capture them off a 1990 VHS video.

stage intro

06E151F4-1C5E-487E-B860-90CE2F77E885.jpeg.4a8119970f32677764a9cef3c99eaf30.jpeg

gameplay

A9409D35-7206-4670-8CB1-4B218B695CBF.jpeg.0bf644939f5b7115e3549cd50420efec.jpeg

It’s impossible for me to get a good shot and so the text is cut off in my pic but here is the actual dialogue:

” Bond is lowered by rope from the helicopter as Sanchez attempts to escape to Cuba in his aircraft.”

” Guide 007 onto the back of the dodging plane and attach the tow rope.”

“Position Bond directly over the tail of the plane and press fire button to “lock on”. 

This detailed plot line follows the opening sequence of the film very well. (it was one of my personal favorite Bond films)

I also have a Police Academy screenshot as well, but the quality is even worse. (see below)

A51976FE-5517-4B56-94E2-0BFD3C870F56.thumb.jpeg.d15ae193c92abd99317e5b175c8d99ab.jpeg

• Thanks 1