IGNORED

Opinions about AVP

GrizzLee

I've had this game since shortly after its release. Having finally finished up a few other games in my que (just finished Bioshock 2... so now you see how big my backlog is), this was next in line. I'm a BIG fan of the Jaguar version and was looking fwd to this one for some time now.

I started as the marine and am sorely dissappointed by the feel of the game I've experienced in the frst couple of levels. It feels more like a "swarm" game of shooting rather than a search and discover game like the original. The eerie atmosphere just isn't there and the constant voice over and directional arrows telling you what to do are annoying as heck to me. When the aliens appear, I feel like I am playing a 3D version of Robotron, except that the baddies don't die after one shot.

So my questions is... Does it get bettter? Should I try the alien campaign instead? Predator? I've read the multiplayer is really fun, but I really wanted this game to expand and build on the Jaguar experience and story mode I so fondly remember.

So far I am dissapointed and BORED with it. Anyone have something positive to motivate me further; otherwise this goes back to the bottom of my que... probably never to be played again :-(

Thanks,

-Lee

Lee, did you enjoy the PC version way back in the late 90's? Different game from the original Jag version, but the expectations have to be adjusted accordingly. I'm not surprised to hear that the new 360 game is a disappointment to a classic gamer though and sucks to hear that the atmosphere or creepiness isn't there. I thought if there was one game to get me excited about a modern gaming system, this new AVP would have been it.

Lee, did you enjoy the PC version way back in the late 90's? Different game from the original Jag version, but the expectations have to be adjusted accordingly. I'm not surprised to hear that the new 360 game is a disappointment to a classic gamer though and sucks to hear that the atmosphere or creepiness isn't there. I thought if there was one game to get me excited about a modern gaming system, this new AVP would have been it.

No, I never played the PC version. I'm a console gamer... always have been ;-) I heard that the PC version was good from friends. You bring up a valid point here though. I forgot about the PC version (was it done by Rebellion?). As you mention, maybe they are trying to progress the game based upon the PC effort.

Geez, I really loved the Jag version in the day (It scared the piss out of me... the first game to ever do so). It could use an update though. I thought this was the ticket. Even the PSX version of Alien wasn't too bad; not the same game however. I enjoyed it soon after playing the Jag version.

I'm a big fan of the Alien movie series and enjoyed the original Predator. The combination of the two in the Jag was done very, very well. I was severely dissapointed by the AVP movie. It was too contrived and far fetched for my tastes.

Too bad, because the concept has (had) real possibilities. But maybe it has run out of gas.

-Lee

Too bad, because the concept has (had) real possibilities. But maybe it has run out of gas.

I don't believe the concept has run out of gas, more like the original concept hasn't been revisited in quite a while. There's no reason why we can't have a properly done and spooky AvP game like we had on the Jag. Today's frame rates, hi-def graphics and surround sound... the game is begging to be redone. Now, around Halloween, would have been the perfect time for such a release too :)

I personally didn't like te game over all.

The alien is a clumsy bitch, you'll spend more time just trying to get it to go through a hole in a wall, than actually doing anything. Also, enemies are stupid, the never look up, so as long as you can get on the ceiling, you can pretty much walk past most parts. To bad too, I think it would have been the coolest experience.

The predator is over all to easy, as long as you don't screw up when you kill someone (invisible or not, everybody knows where you are if you don't oneshot/stealth kill someone)

And the marine,there is no atmosphere. There's very little on the early parts to even run into. The piss poor guns do jack shit to the alien, so if there is more than one, the second one will get you while you're relaoding after trying to kill the first one. (uh...any game can be 'hard' if you simply swamp the player with more than the games engine will allow them to handle) and as I said, atmosphere, instead of dark and spooky looking like the other characters, they instead opt for a complete blackout, and you have to toss out a flair, which alone does a lot towards ruining the game.

Over all, I had high hopes for the game, but honestly, unless you can find it for really cheap (like the sub $10 range) I would say stay away.

I liked the game for what it is. I just wish a different team of people would have done it. There are some creepy moments I thought, but it isn't nearly as scary as it should or could have been. But I thought they really nailed the first few levels. The music (outstanding by the way), the moments leading up to the first encounter, and there are objectives and the game is linear like the past two major AvP games for PC. The alien took some time to get used to but I kicked butt once I "became one". If you're an AvP fan I'd stick with it and try to notice some of the positives. Like how the aliens actually stalk you and cling to darkness instead of having magnet AI like earler games. I love the multiplayer for the PS3, but it's a pain to find a good match. I'd imagine it would be better on LIVE. I actually thought the multiplayer as the Marine was scarier than the single player. I didn't think the guns were "piss poor" except the flamethrower. I used short controlled bursts like in Aliens. But I would give the multiplayer a go and the other campaigns. If you don't like them I would recommend either buying AVP Classic 2000 (or whatever it's called) on Steam for like five dollars. I use it on my Asus netbook with 360 controller and it has some people playing online. Or I would get AVP 2 Gold Edition. AVP 2 has people on servers still and there are a lot of good quality single player mods. Two other mods I would use if you decide to get it is the widescreen mod if you use a widescreen monitor and the graphic overhaul mod. But yeah, the new AVP is just a straight forward FPS that doesn't try anything too new in the series before besides the execution moves, the Predator's upgrade in combat, and maybe a few others. Nothing more or less.