IGNORED

DCAGE - June 11,2011

Cliff Friedel

Hey everyone! With the signing of the building secured, I'd like to announce that the DCAGE Video Game and Collectibles Expo will be happening on June 11, 2011 at the Clearfield Co. Fairgrounds, Expo Bldg #2, located in Clearfield PA. Unlike the other thread, I hope to keep this one smaller and not post until there is real news. The official website is at www.dcage.net. The site is a little bare now, but more information (including vendor signups, pictures, store, pre-event ticket sales, event schedules, and more) will be posted soon. There is also a facebook page that will be updated to reflect the new name and info.

Just some quick info regarding the building. The building is on the fairgrounds diagonally from the main grounds. It is approximately 10,000 sq ft in the main room and there is extra space in the back for speakers, storage, etc. It is handicapped accessible, has a large kitchen, and electricity at every table. It's not the newest building in the world, but it is well kept and clean. Sanitation is taken care of along with a lot of the other stuff. We can also open it the day before for setups. Finally, there is an RV area if people wanted to use their campers. Hookups are $12/day.

As for the expo itself, plans are underway to arrange for a freeplay arcade. We are also looking at game tournaments, bringing over a bounce house for the kids, a charity auction, door prizes (both classic and new stuff), a swap meet, costume contests and more. My hope is to have 100 tables with mainly video gaming and collectible vendors along with some others in the general gaming industry (ie: darts, pool tables, gambling trips, etc.).

Thanks everyone! Hope to see you guys there in June!

Cliff

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I got the floorplan to the main expo floor finished and can (finally) begin to sell tables to the event. I also talked with the manager for the Fair Queens Organization. Things went well and they may help us out with the charity auction. Definitely a good day. If you are interested in attending or being an exhibitor at the DCAGE expo, please feel free to contact us at exhibitors@dcage.net or you can fill out the contact form on our website, http://www.dcage.net/. Hope to see you guys there!

Cliff

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all. Just giving this a bump to let everyone know that we are still working on DCAGE. Things have been a little quiet now as I have received a lot of response from vendors saying it is too early to commit. With that in mind, we are going to put things on hold and open them up late December. With that said, we have lined up some things for the auctions and have talked with some people regarding the video game tournaments. Should be a lot of fun. Stay tuned for more info and have a happy thanksgiving!

Cliff

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! For anyone interested, we have obtained a few stand-up arcade machines for the expo for inclusion into the freeplay arcade. We now have a MAME cabinet, a 1991 Taito Double Axle machine, and a Sammy Deer Hunting USA machine that we will open up for freeplay. If you guys have any arcade machines, pinball machines, or other amusements you would like to bring to the DCAGE freeplay arcade, please let me know. We would be glad to offer discounts for tables and other incentives to have you attend. Thanks.

Cliff

• 5 weeks later...

Happy new year to everyone! I am bumping this just to remind everyone that we are still around and kicking. We have been in talks with some vendors and look to be adding some very soon. I am also in talks with some charities and celebrities for the charity auction. Hopefully, we can either bring them in or have them donate a few signed thins for the auction. The deer hunting machine is up and working great. The Double Axle machine is having problems with the shifter. If anyone knows about that particular PCB or that series of machine (similar to Chase HQ, etc.), please feel free to contact me. I tried replacing the microswitches and making sure the harness was on correctly and they seem to be ok. Not sure if it s a break in the wire or what. If I can't fix it soon, I will have to take it to someone that can. Anyway, I hope to be posting a lot more to the site as we get closer. Check out http://www.dcage.net/ for more info.

Cliff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like DCAGE will be cancelled this year due to lack of vendor interest. It's a shame as there seemed to be a lot of customer interest in the convention. If anything changes in the next few days, I will make sure to post. I apologize to everyone who was looking forward to coming.

Cliff

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like DCAGE will be cancelled this year due to lack of vendor interest. It's a shame as there seemed to be a lot of customer interest in the convention. If anything changes in the next few days, I will make sure to post. I apologize to everyone who was looking forward to coming.

Cliff

Sorry to hear that Cliff.

what I would is wait a few months before the show before you decide cancel it.

VGS usually gets most of the vendors about a month before the show, nobody signs on right away anymore they usually wait.

then you have the high cost of gas and what not.

have you been contacting sponsors and/or vendors,that usually helps as well(posting in the fourms never do great, and if you notice no

one is replying then there's little interest.

just saying.

• 2 weeks later...

what I would is wait a few months before the show before you decide cancel it.

VGS usually gets most of the vendors about a month before the show, nobody signs on right away anymore they usually wait.

then you have the high cost of gas and what not.

have you been contacting sponsors and/or vendors,that usually helps as well(posting in the fourms never do great, and if you notice no

one is replying then there's little interest.

just saying.

Yeah, we contacted all kinds of people for the show multiple times. They would say they wanted in and were ready to work with us, then would back out on the second call when it was time to put money down. Not sure why. We noticed this with multiple sales reps also, so I don't think it was that they didn't like a particular person or sales idea. I am not sure what caused it. When we would ask, they would clam up or say something to the effect of "we don't have money" or "our manager didn't like the idea".

As for timeframe, we gave them until 2 months before the show to decide and notified them as early as November of last year so they would be prepared. Coming up on the month of April, we only had one committed party and a brick wall for everyone else. At that point, I decided that without vendor interest, we just weren't going to have the quality of show I wanted to have. I also felt from an ethical standpoint that I couldn't, in good faith, have a bunch of people come to a show that didn't measure up. I was asking them for money and I wanted them to leave having felt that they got a good convention and experience for their cash.

With all this said, while the convention died this time, that doesn't mean the whole idea is shot. I have a lot of people who contacted me after the cancellation and told me they really wanted a show in the area. With that in mind, I may try to get things going again with something smaller, see if the people really show up, and then go from there. Maybe something where people can play the consoles and machines, maybe buy something small to eat, look at a museum of old stuff (I almost have one of those myself), and maybe get together with some friends. Something small and informal.

Cliff