Rhindle The Red

179 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play games on Facebook?

• Yes, a lot of them.
    • Yes, one or a few.
    • No, but I used to.
    • No and I never have.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I play Superhero City and Age of Champions, but not a lot, at least not right now. They are fun and let me burn off a few minutes here and there without hooking up a console or getting so involved that I can't put them down.

Mainly, I use Facebook as a way to keep in touch and put out news of this and that to the people that want to know. But yeah, I play those two semi-regularly.

I'm with Cebus. I only use it for keeping up with family.

I totally disagree with Adam242 that it's a waste of time. If it weren't for Facebook, I'd never get any regular family news or remember when their birthdays are. Plus it's helped me find friends I haven't been in touch with in 20 years!

I have a facebook account only to find and keep in touch with old friends. The only information I have on there is my name, DOB, and what high school I graduated from. The people that know me already know my likes/dislikes, etc. Any other activities or information just serves the information harvesting bots so no, I don't play games on facebook.

Like most gamers/collectors, I have hundreds of games on the shelves and in the closets, and rarely get to them. So I'll probably never get to Facebook games, either. Seems like they want to try to install some shit on my computer for some of the Facebook "features" and I assume the games would probably want to do this too, although I don't really care.

As mentioned, I only use Facebook to look in on friends/family once in a while. For that - and looking at old pictures - Facebook is cool, and not a waste of time.

However, most of what Facebook is used for is a colossal waste of time. If anyone ever posts anything worthwhile, it gets lost in the shuffle of nonsense so I quit looking for it. "Jenny hates it when people cut her off in traffic." "Josh likes this." "Sunny and 90-degrees in Phoenix today." "I'm glad it's Friday at last!!!!" "Billy likes this." BLAH!

If people restrained themselves and posted interesting/meaningful messages, it would not be a waste of time.

However, there are too many idiots who think they're living a "reality TV show" lifestyle. Somehow, great masses seem to believe the most mundane, uninteresting details of their very-average lives, as well as the dumbest, least-significant thoughts to pop into their tiny brains - are worth sharing with everybody. THAT IS WHAT RUINS FACEBOOK.

• Like 3

Like most gamers/collectors, I have hundreds of games on the shelves and in the closets, and rarely get to them. So I'll probably never get to Facebook games, either. Seems like they want to try to install some shit on my computer for some of the Facebook "features" and I assume the games would probably want to do this too, <SNIP!!!>

Are my suspicions possibly confirmed, here?

link:

Facebook apps leak user information to tracking companies

link:

I always just assume that all information ("private" or not) is available to apps and advertisers. That's why I leave my profile information blank, I never "like" or "become a fan of" another FB page, and I sure as hell don't post anything meaningful in the comments. That's all juicy information that the harvesters would love to get their hands on and monetize.

link:

I always just assume that all information ("private" or not) is available to apps and advertisers. That's why I leave my profile information blank, I never "like" or "become a fan of" another FB page, and I sure as hell don't post anything meaningful in the comments. That's all juicy information that the harvesters would love to get their hands on and monetize.

This is good thinking.

Today, more development to the privacy breach story....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304772804575558484075236968.html?mod=yhoofront