IGNORED

pac man with a blue screen

treetsux

my uncle has a pacman coin op that he said he would sell to me.

heres whats wrong with it: sometimes it works fine when you turn it on, other times its just a blue screen.

any ideas whats wrong with it? and what do you think it would cost to fix? or is it something like the rom needing cleaned?

thanx

am

First rule of arcades: Buy any good shape Pac Man for cheap: Everything can be fixed, and Pacs are not getting any easier to find.

I would start by reseating all the chips. Its possible its a ROM, but more likely some bad connection somewhere. The board is not completely dead, or you would not have anything on the screen. Most board problems can be fixed easily, and if you have to, there are plenty of places to send it. At the worst case, fix it and sell it, make a few bucks in the process.

Just my .25 cents.

Cassidy

Considering operators will pay 25 for the coin door, you would do fine to get it for that. Even the cabinet in bad shape is worth 40-50 with the harness in it, and the glass and marquee would be ebay-able.

I would think its more likely a board issue than the monitor. If there are retrace lines going the screen, then maybe start there. Otherwise, I would check fuses and reseat the chips.

May have yourself a good deal.

Cassidy

Ok, so my dad talked to my uncle about this the other day, and he decided he wants more money for it. i still havent seen it(he lives an hour away from me) he said the cabinet is in good shape, but he said that the colors on the screen look kind of dull. is this a sign of the monitor going out? before i would have paid what he wanted sight unseen, but since he wants more money for it now, i want to make sure im not sticking alot of money into, as i dont really have alot of money to stick into it :)

Ok, so my dad talked to my uncle about this the other day, and he decided he wants more money for it.  i still havent seen it(he lives an hour away from me)  he said the cabinet is in good shape, but he said that the colors on the screen look kind of dull.  is this a sign of the monitor going out? before i would have paid what he wanted sight unseen, but since he wants more money for it now, i want to make sure im not sticking alot of money into, as i dont really have alot of money to stick into it :)

It could be just a dirty screen. I have seen some FILTHY screens that made the game look dull. Clean off the inch of dust from the monitor and you get a nice brite picture :-)

If It's not that, then a CAP KIT will fix it right up. They are easy to do, (especially on those monitors), or you can take it to a TV shop and have them do it for you.

Check out my site for more info on doing Cap Kits. If you decide to try it yourself, follow the links to Bob Roberts web pages, you can order parts there.