IGNORED

Is this something that I need to worry about?

Tr3vor

every once in a while My ps3 (I think) is making a beeping kind of noise. It didn't happen when when I watched a movie, but it happened twice yesterday while either idle or playing the InFamous demo.

today I was playing mw2 and it did it again...

Is this a sign of the YLoD? I hope not...

Never heard of that but beeps usually mean there may be a problem and yes it may yellow ring eventually. It could be the hard drive or maybe the fans are clogged and cant spin and its heating up. Anything that you can think of try doing it....clean, pull the hard-drive out and put it back in (re-seat it). Power off completely pull the cord etc. Give all that a try. When it beeps do you see a light flash at all? Is it well ventilated and what model do you have?

Never heard of that but beeps usually mean there may be a problem and yes it may yellow ring eventually. It could be the hard drive or maybe the fans are clogged and cant spin and its heating up. Anything that you can think of try doing it....clean, pull the hard-drive out and put it back in (re-seat it). Power off completely pull the cord etc. Give all that a try. When it beeps do you see a light flash at all? Is it well ventilated and what model do you have?

No, I don't see a light. its the 120GB slim model, got it from costco with uncharted.

It is very well ventilated, not in any enclosed space at all. I'm not sure if its beeping, but every time it does do this sound, the blu ray has to spin up the disk again... It does not restart, it just keeps going.

I'm not entirely sure that its the ps3, it happened only when the ps3 was on. may have been some old pda or pos things I keep in my junk drawer.

got it about a month and a half ago so dust shouldn't really be a problem

Edited by Tr3vor

Its probably just the spindle motor noise or the eye moving. Probably nothing really to be worried about ( again i said probably) but you can never be to sure, my friends phat style PS3 does this when the disk starts spinning from a dead stop, its been doing it for quite a while.

Edited by madmax2069

Buying a warranty is almost a must with current consoles being so "fragile", but just make sure you understand all the print that is on the warranty you purchase.

I got burned, I feel, by Best Buy when I purchased a 2 year extended warranty on a Xbox Elite I bought from them. Seven months after my purchase, Red Ring. Took it back and after their "Geek Squad" checked it out, they gave me another Elite off the shelf. All well and good until they told me I'd have to purchase another warranty to cover this replacement console since my original warranty (which supposedly still had 13 months of protection on it) only covered the original console I was bringing back.

Check out the manufacturers extended warranty program as it may cover any replacement consoles they send you without having to purchase a new warranty.

Mendon