IGNORED

Vectrex - No love at AtariAge?

SlowCoder

Thanks to lgallair who's awesome cabinet happens to have a previously unknown Vectrex system to me (thanks an effin' lot, lgallair, for giving me something ELSE to spend my little allowance on :)), I decided to take a look into it.

Neat system! May not be color, but the gameplay looks awesome! Reminds me of the original SpaceWars on the PC.

And the idea of the screen overlays is really cool too!

I just noticed that there are no forums on AA dedicated to this system. :(

Sorry about that SlowCoder. It's a great system. I fell in love with it the moment I heard its' startup tune. You should try out the games on an emulator to see how it plays; although playing it on a PC and the real thing is like night and day. The glow you get off a vector monitor can't be emulated.

I would love it (and love to have one), but they are quite pricey. I need to get to a stable point where I can bleed money without it hurting me, haha. That will be a good day, though--I've seen a ton of videos about this system, and the games look downright awesome.

:love: :love: :love: :love: Vectrex :love: :love: :love: :love: I had lots of fun a the Portland Retro Gaming Expo, but the highlight was that a guy (don't know his name) let me try out the 3D Imager which was very cool. If that guy is here, I really appreciate you letting me try your very valuable and breakable cool-ass peripheral... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Morgan

There are alot of Vectrex Fans here. I am one of many that have taken "the plunge" and acquired a near complete original boxed complete library(I will probably never own Mr. Boston or Minestorm II). A wonderful system that has a very healthy fan base. Still the only vector based game console I do believe.

the Vectrex is great. i've been wanting to get a multicart but whenever someone decides they want to sell theirs is when i'm completely broke. i have a small collection of officially released games plus a couple of homebrews (WoTR & Vix/Tsunami).

all these SD card cartridges for VCS, Colecovision, Genesis, SNES...perhaps one day we'll see a Vectrex version so i can play everything on actual hardware!

Okay, wanted to test out my theory before spilling the beans on these colored overlays I was talking about. For those like me that don't have any, you can go to a music store (a real music store, where they sell musical instruments) and go to their lighting section. They more than likely will have these "gel" packs people use for stage lighting, etc. They're not really made of gel, but are simply just a thin sheet of colored mylar you can cut to fit your Vectrex. Not the cheapest stuff in the world - a multi-colored pack cost me $30, but boy does it work and look great. Opening measured approximately 8-1/2" x 6-1/2" and I am extremely pleased with the results. Just slip it in between the 4 slits and you're good to go. For my first effort, I cut a dark blue mylar up. Looks much, much better than staring at a grey screen and I imagine you'd be able to cut yourself out (or layer) a multi-colored scenario for games like Star Castle and such. Just thought I'd share since colored mylar ain't exactly common! I've looked at all the hobby and craft stores around before finally considering a music store.

Well, it is ATARI age, and Vectrex isn't made by Atari :P But yeah, cool system. I don't have one, but I watched videos on Youtube, and a true vector home game would be awesome, if it wasn't for the fact that the only way to get one, would be through Ebay :x Phuck that.

Ican see it now, "you just won this auction for $100-$200, please send us money so we can throw a hammer though the screen and ship the parts to you in a paper bag without even the decency of an over sized bubbelope" Ugh...

Edited by Video