IGNORED

Choplifter glitch

AtariLeaf

• 2 months later...

I also have the half-wide glitch. I haven't played much, but so far the glitch is on more than off. It's kind of a surprise when I suddenly see a nice helicopter or tank, etc for a fraction of a second- Then everything is smooshed again.

Wonder what effect (if any) XM will have...

Edited by toiletunes

• 5 months later...

Okay, I finally got 2 copies of the game and 2 consoles-

One console plays both games no problem (so far, further testing may be required)

The other console has issues with one game, not the other.

The glitchy game has 1987 copyright, the other game has 1988 copyright.

SN for glitchy console A1 89 5484225

SN for other console 72R4BR A1 ?? (could be B something or 8 something, very faded/worn) 5261631

Hope this helps...

Okay, I finally got 2 copies of the game and 2 consoles-

One console plays both games no problem (so far, further testing may be required)

The other console has issues with one game, not the other.

The glitchy game has 1987 copyright, the other game has 1988 copyright.

SN for glitchy console A1 89 5484225

SN for other console 72R4BR A1 ?? (could be B something or 8 something, very faded/worn) 5261631

Hope this helps...

Interesting so perhaps a certain combination of 7800 motherboard revision and Choplifter cart version is causing these problems.

I hate to say they did a shit job of porting Choplifters! to the 7800. Have you seen it on the Sega Master System? It looks great. The 7800 was always capable of so much more than what was ever programmed for it the Jaguar too. :|

• Like 1

A little off topic, but still related: I bought Pac Man Collection from the AA store a couple months back. When it arrived, I tried it out and there were garbled characters all over the title screen, along with two horizontal black stripes that went through the mazes when I played. I cleaned my system contacts along with the cartridge pins, to no avail, and yet all my other 7800 and VCS games worked fine in this console. I contacted Al and sent the game back for a replacement. The replacement arrived, and the results were the same: Garbled characters on the title screen and black stripes through the playfield during game play. Al stated that he thought it was something with the "board" inside that batch of Pac Man Collection carts, and that he would send me one from a different batch of PCB's soon. The game arrived with the new board inside about a week ago, and it works flawlessly. What is different about my 7800 console? I don't know, but wonder if different "versions" of 7800 consoles could be causing the problems seen in the OP.

I hate to say they did a shit job of porting Choplifters! to the 7800. Have you seen it on the Sega Master System? It looks great. The 7800 was always capable of so much more than what was ever programmed for it the Jaguar too. :|

You're right Joe, same with Rampage. By far the best version is on the SMS IMO. Although I do like the 7800 Muppet Babies Rampage too :D

• 2 weeks later...

I sent the carts to Mitch, here's what Mitch had to say:

"I dumped them all and they all are an exact match for the existing dump. I took apart the one that had the hole over the screw and it had a resistor on the +5v line. So it's possible that there was a run of chips that had an issue and they had to use a resistor to drop the juice to the ROM chip. Maybe the incompatible consoles don't have clean enough power to make it work properly. But that's just a guess."

The cart with the screw hole was 1987.

When I got the carts back, I opened up the other two-

Both 1987 carts had the resistor, the 1988 did not.

Thank you Mitch for your help

• 12 years later...
On 10/25/2010 at 6:20 AM, GroovyBee said:

The "half width" looks like the video mode has changed from 160A to 160B. Does this happen in the emulator? I don't play Choplifter much on my 7800. Writing junk to the Display List will cause a variety of problems including "half width" and the bars above.

I can confirm this is caused by the display list RAM being corrupted due to contention with the joystick/6532 input. It's most likely a hardware bug with earlier revisions of the MARIA chip.

Edited by evietron