IGNORED

Surprise! Donkey Kong with Pokey sound

tep392

So should this still be called Donkey Kong? It would probably be safer to rename it to avoid drawing attention. Maybe Stubborn Ape or Crazy Kong? Suggestions?

Krazy Kong is awesome! Wasn't there a knock off or hack called Crazy Kong?

There was a Crazy Kong arcade game that was virtually the same as Donkey Kong. I'm thinking it might be an appropriate name since this hack is just as un-official.

So this is pretty much awesome. Tried it out using Wii7800. Absolutely great!

Thank you for the compliment. It's really appreciated. :)

Maybe someday I'll get to actually play it in hardware. :sad: I think I can make it work on a Pokey cart with a 7402 and some major re-wiring. I'll give it a shot in the next week or two.

Perry

VERY cool! I didn't even know the 7800 Hacks forum existed until you mentioned people trying out Pokey Kong...

Great job on this. I just tried it on Prosystem and it's great. I don't think I've ever played more than 30 seconds of the original game because like was mentioned the sound is just GRATING and awful to listen to. This is actually a pretty good version of Donkey Kong when you're not worrying about your ears bleeding...

Thanks for doing this!

Edited by Justin42

Very good! However, I have noticed while using Wii7800 that the level start music is distorted. The higher notes are usually ignored and the lower notes are sometimes replaced with "explosion" sounds. I have no other way to verify if this only happens in Wii7800 or not.

Thanks!

I havn't seen that problem running on ProSystem 1.3. It could be a problem with Wii7800. I have made some minor updates and changed the sound initialization a bit. If this doesn't help, then it's likey just an issue with the emulator.

dk7800_pokey.a78

We need Chad to make a new bankswitch file for this to work properly on the CC2. None of the Pokey bankswitch files would work since DK is 48k. I get it to come up with the normal 48k bankswitch but of course there's no sound. Otherwise it just comes up with a blank screen.

Bleah! Does it have to be Chad? I have to wonder how much he's going to want to keep making derivative bankswitch files for CC2, all these years later.

Thanks!

I haven't seen that problem running on ProSystem 1.3. It could be a problem with Wii7800. I have made some minor updates and changed the sound initialization a bit. If this doesn't help, then it's likey just an issue with the emulator.

Thanks for taking the time to address this! The issue remains the same with the level start music. I'll have to agree with you and believe that the issue lies in emulation. Wii7800 is a port of ProSystem, but I am uncertain which version was used (1.2?). Perhaps I've corrupted the emulator somehow. Thanks again!

These POKEY conversions really show how much a game can be improved just by the quality of it's sounds.

Edited by Nerf Herder73

Thanks!

I haven't seen that problem running on ProSystem 1.3. It could be a problem with Wii7800. I have made some minor updates and changed the sound initialization a bit. If this doesn't help, then it's likey just an issue with the emulator.

Thanks for taking the time to address this! The issue remains the same with the level start music. I'll have to agree with you and believe that the issue lies in emulation. Wii7800 is a port of ProSystem, but I am uncertain which version was used (1.2?). Perhaps I've corrupted the emulator somehow. Thanks again!

These POKEY conversions really show how much a game can be improved just by the quality of it's sounds.

I'm seeing the same issue on Wii7800....however, it's only a small annoyance. Other than that its a HUGE improvement!

Thanks!

I'm seeing the same issue on Wii7800....however, it's only a small annoyance. Other than that its a HUGE improvement!

Thanks. :)

It is amazing how much difference the sound can make. I bought my 7800 last year and was looking forward to this game because the screen shots looked so impressive. But after playing for just a few minutes, the sound became unbearable. The disparity between the sound and graphics bothered me so much that I felt compelled to do something about it. They still are not arcade perfect, but I feel good about it now and can actually enjoy playing the game.

I have to wonder what the original programmers were thinking when they did this game. Even if the Pokey wasn't an option for them, the TIA can do much better than this. Xevious is a good example of TIA sound done right.