IGNORED

Surprise! Donkey Kong with Pokey sound

tep392

I'm attaching screenshots explaining the difference of spring landing between the Arcade and 7800. While doing so I noticed why the spring land points are different:

post-18-0-02365700-1350409274_thumb.pngpost-18-0-97339800-1350409360_thumb.jpg

In the above, the Arcade and 7800 land perfectly the same. Jumpman is able to stand at the top of the ladder without issue.

Now here:

post-18-0-00768000-1350409417_thumb.png post-18-0-29794000-1350409436_thumb.jpg

Notice how Jumpman is able to safely stay by the edge of the second set of elevators while the springs go overhead in the Arcade. This is crucial to be able to do in later stages of the game as the springs are too fast to make it up the last ladder to Pauline from the previous ladder. You need the extra second or two provided by being at that placement and then make the dash for the ladder.

You can't do that in the 7800, as the spring - as the screenshot shows, falls directly in the spot. However, looking at both sets of screenshots shows the real problem:

post-18-0-11687500-1350409876_thumb.png post-18-0-74074400-1350409903_thumb.jpg

While the Arcade level has been stretched horizontally to meet the 7800 resolution, it was not done so in a proportional manner. Look at the start and end marks of structures as they are not in the same spot correspondingly to what is adjacent as in the Arcade. The distances are not proportionally the same. Start and end points are different - spacing is different.

Unfortuantely, it looks like this is one 'fix' that cannot be done. At least not with the current level design.

I think the key to some of the things I've read on here (Mario's head, springs, etc) would be to make the collision detection more forgiving. There was a hack for the 8-bit version of Donkey Kong, and somebody fixed it so Mario only hit his head at the very end of the girders (like the arcade). Collision detection also screws up some of the cool jumps, possible in the arcade. (So does the lack of a "spring-back" effect). Additionally, Mario can hammer a barrel from the half-way point. It's kind of lame.. lol. If Mario's head wasn't so sensitive, and the springs bounces less choppy, the levels would work out. It was just poor original programming. Not quite as bad as the Adam version, but close!

Edited by darryl1970

The only other improvement I could think of off the top of my head would be regarding the barrels on the first screen. Is it possible to get the ones that make the fireballs be blue in color with the skulls on the lids?

It's possible. I would need to use the oil can's palette, find space for the graphics, and add code to change the palette in the display list depending on which barrel is being displayed. Only hickup is if I run out of time in the vertical blank for the extra code. As it is, the code doesn't finish until after the next screen starts to draw.

Grooveybee thinks I can safely add another line to the display, so these mockup's look possible. :)

This is really a great news!! :)

I did not think it was necessary add another line to the display because I used the animation of end of the level as a reference to determine the highest visible line, but of course it was only an empirical evaluation.

So it looks like we finally have the space to place Pauline as in the arcade version!

Fingers crossed ...

Guys thank you!!

Marco

linedisplaydk78xm.png

girdersscoringdonkeykon.png

cementscoringdonkeykong.png

elevatorsscoringdonkeyk.png

rivetscoringdonkeykong7.png

NEW SCORING.Pauline mockup's Donkey Kong 7800 XM.bmp

Just keep in mind that if that is done, you may not be able to see the high score or the top of Pauline's head on a CRT because of overscan. Some of Bob's 320 mode games are like that on some of my TVs as well. In Moon Cresta, for example, the score and extra lives are not visible on some of my TVs.

For the high score, many people may not care since it's not really vital to gameplay, but Pauline's head being cut off (if it turns out that way after testing), may be a bit harder to overlook.

Just keep in mind that if that is done, you may not be able to see the high score or the top of Pauline's head on a CRT because of overscan. Some of Bob's 320 mode games are like that on some of my TVs as well. In Moon Cresta, for example, the score and extra lives are not visible on some of my TVs.

For the high score, many people may not care since it's not really vital to gameplay, but Pauline's head being cut off (if it turns out that way after testing), may be a bit harder to overlook.

One of the problems with CRT's is overscan variation. I remember some of the old sets my parents owned had knobs on the back to adjust overscan. Those adjustments are in service menu's on most newer sets.

By my calcs, Mooncresta is allowing about 10% overscan at the top. The screen map in the Maria documentation shows 25 blank lines before the 192 high game area, which would be a conservative 15% overscan. The DK playfield is already 208 lines high, so I could move it down a bit to add another line, but the top and bottom may get cut off a little on some sets. I'm not sure how much I should really push it. I think I can squeeze everything in below the top of the ladder, so I might go that route.

This is really a great news!! :)

I did not think it was necessary add another line to the display because I used the animation of end of the level as a reference to determine the highest visible line, but of course it was only an empirical evaluation.

So it looks like we finally have the space to place Pauline as in the arcade version!

Fingers crossed ...

Guys thank you!!

Marco

linedisplaydk78xm.png

girdersscoringdonkeykon.png

cementscoringdonkeykong.png

elevatorsscoringdonkeyk.png

rivetscoringdonkeykong7.png

I like what you have done. I actually finished moving Pauling to the top girder about the time you posted this. ;)

I still need to work on score locations and the bonus timer.

• 4 months later...

Hello Perry,

I studied very carefully the graphics of Mario and I saw that there is a good room for improvement.

I redesigned all the sprites, I tried to get the maximum geometric symmetry than the arcade version to replicate the animation with the greatest possible coherence.

If you like it or if it can be of help, I'm happy to share.

As always, thank you for your kind attention.

Marco

mariospritesdonkeykong7.png

7800mariogifab.gif

wegiflarge1.gif

wegiflarge2.gif

wegiflarge4.gif

wegiflarge3.gif

Mario sprites Donkey Kong 7800 XM..bmp

• Like 1

Hello Perry,

I studied very carefully the graphics of Mario and I saw that there is a good room for improvement.

I redesigned all the sprites, I tried to get the maximum geometric symmetry than the arcade version to replicate the animation with the greatest possible coherence.

If you like it or if it can be of help, I'm happy to share.

As always, thank you for your kind attention.

Marco

7800mariogifab.gif

wegiflarge1.gif

wegiflarge2.gif

wegiflarge4.gif

wegiflarge3.gif

Awesome job! This will make a huge improvement!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I just added a POKEY to my CC2 but can't get any sound at all using the .BIN that GroovyBee uploaded. The regular Donkey Kong works with the awful sound. Commando and Ballblazer work with POKEY sound.

Does someone have the MENU.TXT settings for this version? I think I have the wrong bankswitching/startup code info. Here's what I'm using:

7800_48K 78BIOS

These are the same ones for regular Donkey Kong. I've messed around with a few others, but they produce a scrambled-up screen. Thanks for any help!

I just added a POKEY to my CC2 but can't get any sound at all using the .BIN that GroovyBee uploaded.

The problem is that the 48k cart wasn't designed for the POKEY.

Right after the post with the bin Groovy posted, HammR25 followed up (http://atariage.com/...d/#entry2125846) with:

"We need Chad to make a new bankswitch file for this to work properly on the CC2. None of the Pokey bankswitch files would work since DK is 48k. I get it to come up with the normal 48k bankswitch but of course there's no sound. Otherwise it just comes up with a blank screen."

To update on that notion, Chad was already reached out to and has nothing left on the CC2 - including no source code.

That means you're going to need the XM (or a XBOARD) for the old version posted by Groovy a while back, or for any of the more recent versions.

When the Harmony 2 comes out it will work on that too: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/171671-surprise-donkey-kong-with-pokey-sound/?do=findComment&comment=2126133

• 7 months later...

As in the other thread (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211370-contest-win-a-donkey-kong-xm-box/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2959572), I shared in this topic pictures that show the 7800 graphic with wrong pixel aspect ratio (2.0).

The NTSC 7800 pixel aspect ratio is 1.7 for 160 modes; below I attach some Mario sprites with correct proportions.

Marco

4gez.png

gjdj.png

• 2 years later...