IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 13: Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong

Jumpman -- known today as Mario -- must traverse levels structures to save his girlfriend, Pauline, from Donkey Kong before time runs out. The levels include Girders, Rivets, Elevators, and Conveyor Belts. Mario must avoid flames, barrels, and bouncing rivets to reach his goal.

Game Information

Game Name: Donkey Kong (US set 1)

Released By: Nintendo, 1981

MAME ROMset: DKong

Dip Switches: Lives: 3; Bonus Life: 7,000

Chosen By: HatefulGravey

ROM Location: http://romhustler.net/download/mame/6355

AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC World Record: 127,100 theking21803

Competition ends Sunday, November 7 @ 12PM EDT

Leaderboard

1. 91,900 HatefulGravey

2. 88,700 patbb

3. 87,800 Dr Galaga

4. 25,900 Zoyx

5. 22,300 rmaerz

6. 19,300 LarcenTyler

7. 17,400 roadrunner

8. 10,600 ClassicGMR

Season Standings

Calculations through week 12 & Halloween Tournament

1. patbb 593

2. rmaerz 573

3. roadrunner 432

4. LarcenTyler 207

5. FlyingTurtle 173

6. ClassicGMR 124

7. Dr Galaga 115

8. homerwannabee 20

8. Zoyx 20

10. 4Ks 18

10. HatefulGravey 18

12. Mister VCS 6

Edited by rmaerz

Some Arcade/MAME HSC FYIs:

I didn't make any changes to the Arcade/MAME HSC rules, but fleshed out topics like the HSC Season and Tournaments for Season 3 if you care to review.

If you haven't seen the pinned topic for the upcoming Thanksgiving Tourney, we are now accepting nominations. Again, any AtariAge member can post nominations regardless of their level of participation in the HSC.

Not a great score, but I'll get a score up...

This shows a score over 140k in the highscore spot. Is that not your score or something?

You only report scores achieved during the HSC week. Most likely that score was achieved prior.

I know this about the scores. I guess I just assumed this was a MAME machine. My MAME machine doesn't save scores for DK, so every time I start it to play DK I have my highest score of the day on the page.

My MAME machine doesn't save scores for DK, so every time I start it to play DK I have my highest score of the day on the page.

There is a "save game state on exit" option in Mame.

I use a MAME version I got from UG that eliminates the nag screens and saves all high scores. Apparently at some point the MAME devs took out the high score option. (?)

My machine is running games and not much more. I haven't added many extra files and such to it. I haven't played around with the save state of exit stuff before. Not sure why. I guess in the end it doesn't kill me that I don't get them saved all the time. All thats said I'm working on some new stuff with the new PC I mentioned before. I can get all the bugs worked out and load it to the machine without gutting that machine to deal with this piece at a time. I'm really interested in the .bat file mentioned. I'll be looking into that.

Anyway, more scores updates. Not looking good for 100k this week, feel like I'm stalling and work is picking up.

post-26868-128875737968_thumb.jpg

Not looking good for 100k this week, feel like I'm stalling and work is picking up.

Have you been maxing out points on the barrel level? For example, jumping right in front of the fireball for 100 points a pop?

Also, I watched Hank Chien play and one thing he does is jump over a barrel and then climb down a ladder to jump that same barrel a second time.

Not looking good for 100k this week, feel like I'm stalling and work is picking up.

Have you been maxing out points on the barrel level? For example, jumping right in front of the fireball for 100 points a pop?

Also, I watched Hank Chien play and one thing he does is jump over a barrel and then climb down a ladder to jump that same barrel a second time.

Nope. For a few reasons. The fire ball trick on the first board is really tricky and leads to my death alot of times. I haven't played with it much. The trick with the ladders to jump the same barrels again I can do, but I haven't for this weeks scores. I thought that wasn't in the spirit of the game. I understand that is how this game is played for scores, but I'm not good enough to need to boost with things like this yet to get higher anyway. I have even stayed away from "DK points" so far on the rivet stages.

The main reason I don't point press is Steve Wiebe. In an interview he said untill you can kill screen the game you don't really need to worry about pressing. That made since to me, so I do that. When I started to play the game from start to finish without trying to do more then I was skillied to do yet my scores doubled in a week and now I can press in the lower levels. Turns out getting through level 4 trains you to be good enough to point press in level 1.

I'll get a few games in tonight maybe, I'll press some and see what I can get just for giggles.

Not a great score, but I'll get a score up...

This shows a score over 140k in the highscore spot. Is that not your score or something?

You only report scores achieved during the HSC week. Most likely that score was achieved prior.

I know this about the scores. I guess I just assumed this was a MAME machine. My MAME machine doesn't save scores for DK, so every time I start it to play DK I have my highest score of the day on the page.

It's a regular DK arcade board and isin a DK Jr. arcade cabinet that has a high score save kit in it.

I don't have the high score on the game. A buddy of mine (who also has a DK machine) has the high score.