IGNORED

Kinect Launch Day. Disturbingly slow?

Paul Humbug

Okay, went to my local Best Buy (metropolitan area).

Arrived there by 9:15 AM.

No crowd, no line. Picked up Kinect. Was the only one buying at that time.

Don't wanna conclude just yet that it's going to be an epic launch day failure, but I really thought I would come and just see empty shelves. Mind you, Best Buy only got stock of 10 bare Kinect systems plus another 10 combos or so according to their add on last Sunday.

Will be going tonight at 8:30 to see if they sold out.

I've read some really good reviews of the technology...but the launch games simply aren't that great.

I had a look at the games. The Sonic seemed interesting as well as the Joyride one. Sports might be great. But yeah, right now it's just a Wii Sports enhanced system.

Have to wait if we'll see epic kinect games down the road.

This after MS announced they were upping their sales expectations from 3 million to 5 million based on pre-orders and the positive buzz they were receiving?

BS...or not?

I agree sounds like the main complaint is lame simple games, but that's exactly what made the Wii a success in my opinion. Your mom and her friends were blown away that they could easily pick up a controller and bowl in their living rooms! Maybe it reminded them back to the old days when games were controlled with a stick and one button. So simple everyone could get involved. Still I have my doubts these HD versions of Wii games are going to entice them to drop another $300+ bucks for the latest and greatest. I think they lost interest and went back to their knitting. My guess is MS's enthusiasm is wishful thinking.

The reviews for sports and adventures are pretty average.

Here's the problem:

I would have to guess that any and I mean MANY ma and pa's out there are probably satisfied with the Wii (and maybe all the shovelware games they got ripped off into buying) to bother buying anything else. We are talking Uncle Harry and Aunt Margaret.

I think MS (and Sony) has a really tough goal to try and dethrone the Nintendo Wii in any shape or form.

So far this looks more of the same. I'm not dropping a dime on this (or Move) unless I see something more than worthwhile. I don't got the space! :P

I can't imagine playing an FPS on this thing or even an RPG.

• Like 1

I agree sounds like the main complaint is lame simple games, but that's exactly what made the Wii a success in my opinion. Your mom and her friends were blown away that they could easily pick up a controller and bowl in their living rooms! Maybe it reminded them back to the old days when games were controlled with a stick and one button. So simple everyone could get involved. Still I have my doubts these HD versions of Wii games are going to entice them to drop another $300+ bucks for the latest and greatest. I think they lost interest and went back to their knitting. My guess is MS's enthusiasm is wishful thinking.

Indeed. And let's not forget that initially, the XBox 360 did not cater to the "casual" crowd. It was geared more towards the "hardcore" players, and it wasn't quite as "family-oriented" as the Wii. But with the Wii winning casual players over and Nintendo making a good profit, Microsoft (and Sony) decided they want a piece of that pie, hence the Kinect and the Move. By now, however, casuals players are getting a little tired of their Wiimotes, so it will be interesting to see if those people will regard Kinect and Move simply as "Wiimotes 2.0" and not be quite as impressed with them. Casual players don't have the same attention span (and brand fidelity) as those who play video games on a more regular basis. They are unpredictable that way.

Hardcore players, on the other hand, will demand games that push the Kinect and Move to their limits (simple kiddy games aren't going to cut it for very long) and that's another problem altogether for Microsoft and Sony. Who will they cater to? Where will they put their software development money? Cater to the casual gamers, and the hardcore gamers will feel betrayed and cry foul. Cater more to the hardcore with more involved gaming, and the casuals may feel intimidated by the added gaming complexities and subtleties that the hardcore are accustomed to.

Not an easy situation... :ponder:

• Like 2

Not surprising. hopefully they'll be fun. There are some great Wii games that use the motion controls very effectively. There are also a ton that don't. Hopefully these hybrid games will be the former and not the latter.

Well, I set it up and played the adventures a little bit.

I guess I'm just a lazy butt. Kinect really required me to move around more than I wanted. I can't see this compilation holding my attention for too long.

It's neat and everything and it works as advertised.

In the end, it's really the games that make it or break it. Maybe I should read about the other launch titles.

Several reviews of the hardware that I read said the main problem was space, that you need between 7 and 9 feet between you and the sensor: 7 ft for single player, 9 feet for co-op. I haven't measured my living room but I believe a total rearranging of the furniture would have to take place to have the necessary space in my home.

Just my opinion, but I'm surprised that there are no demo's of Kinect games available on XboxLive for owners to download. I'm no Sony fanboy, but at least they've made around half a dozen demo's of Move games available for download and update the PSN store pretty regularly with new ones. Maybe MS will have some demo's available at a later time, but having no demo's available now (and they must be available since I read they sent out demo disks with Beta units) is another reason I have no desire to purchase a unit at this point in time.

Mendon

Several reviews of the hardware that I read said the main problem was space, that you need between 7 and 9 feet between you and the sensor: 7 ft for single player, 9 feet for co-op. I haven't measured my living room but I believe a total rearranging of the furniture would have to take place to have the necessary space in my home.

Just my opinion, but I'm surprised that there are no demo's of Kinect games available on XboxLive for owners to download. I'm no Sony fanboy, but at least they've made around half a dozen demo's of Move games available for download and update the PSN store pretty regularly with new ones. Maybe MS will have some demo's available at a later time, but having no demo's available now (and they must be available since I read they sent out demo disks with Beta units) is another reason I have no desire to purchase a unit at this point in time.

Mendon

7 feet must be accurate. I just measured my space between sofa and controller and it's about 7 feet.

On another note, Best Buy had a full shelf of Kinect standalones and a couple of combos when I went there an hour ago. It's not flying off the shelves unless BB is restocking quickly.

Picked up Kinect SPorts tonight. Dance Central was removed by Microsoft before launch do to "a broken game".

Update after playing through Kinect Sports: Kinect really works very very well. No issues with movements and as such no real issues with gameplay. Had a blast with bowling and table tennis.

On a sour note: this is def. party style game. While there are achievements and single player modus, there's not really much depth to it other than playing on different difficulty levels. Nevertheless, it gave me a good and fun workout.

I do think that space problems some people report are rather overrated. I got a small space between sofa and TV (around 7 feet) and it works flawlessly. No need to have the living room empty.

What the system needs now: games with depth. Give me a platformer, give me adventures, rpg, whatever. Don't kill me with sports and dance heavy titles.

The harsh truth is that MS is trying to tap in the casual Wii game market and released an overpriced add-on with so so release games. They also did this in one of the worst recessions. I dont care about gimmicks, I just care about good games. I dont want to look like an idiot when I play games. Give me a standard controller please. I will not be getting this thing until it goes on clearance...which will be within two years. It will be supported, but it will not be supported by the totally different fanbase that MS has catered to in the last 10 years.

Edited by swlovinist
  • Like 5

I have two friends so far that owns the Kinect one says it craps all over anything the Wii has or can do, and my other friend says basically the same thing (both also own a Wii).

one of my other friends calls it a Wii60 (in a joking manner), but he hasn't used it yet. but he does want to buy it (just no funds to go out and buy it).

I have played it and i agree with my two friends in that it craps all over the Wii. Its only going to get better with time. Joy ride is actually quite fun, i had a blast playing it.

so far i have been impressed on how well the Kinect works.

looking like a idiot is all apart of the fun when playing, if you are too scared to look like a idiot then that's your loss, Some people are acting like everyone in the world is going to see you play.

Edited by madmax2069

I have two friends so far that owns the Kinect one says it craps all over anything the Wii has or can do, and my other friend says basically the same thing (both also own a Wii).

one of my other friends calls it a Wii60 (in a joking manner), but he hasn't used it yet. but he does want to buy it (just no funds to go out and buy it).

I have played it and i agree with my two friends in that it craps all over the Wii. Its only going to get better with time. Joy ride is actually quite fun, i had a blast playing it.

so far i have been impressed on how well the Kinect works.

looking like a idiot is all apart of the fun when playing, if you are too scared to look like a idiot then that's your loss, Some people are acting like everyone in the world is going to see you play.

I don't own a Wii but certainly one could get one for the price of Kinect plus a game. I played Wii though at a friend's house. Of course, the concept is the same basically. MS only cooks with water like all the others. But, I do think Kinect has more potential for more intriguing games in the future and Dance Central might just be the beginning. Show me, how DC could be made the same on the Wii or Move.

But yeah, right now it's an expensive gimmick for all those people who always wanted a Wii when it came out but never got to it. No need to rush the purchase.

We'll have actually to wait what more Wii people say about the Kinect. Do they also think it's the same all over?

Edited by Paul Humbug

I don't own a Wii but certainly one could get one for the price of Kinect plus a game.

I hadn't thought of that. And starting Sunday, you can buy the Limited Edition Mario Anniversary Wii for $199 and that price includes one of the best games on the Wii, Super Mario Bros. Wii.

But, I do think Kinect has more potential for more intriguing games in the future and Dance Central might just be the beginning. Show me, how DC could be made the same on the Wii or Move.

You're right that DC probably couldn't be done on Move or Wii (though I have no idea if Just Dance is a comparable game to DC). But I think that Kinect is leaving behind entire genres, FPS's and 3rd person shooters like Gears of War, which are popular as hell, very profitable, and which both Move and Wii handle quite well.

I think Move, Kinect, and Wii motion control may work well for particular game styles. But just as a analog controller isn't the best method of playing Rock Band or Guitar Hero, motion control doesn't work well with every style of game.

Mendon

Part of the problem is the launch games simply aren't there. We've already done Wii Sports and virtual pets....out side of that, there was Sonic something or other (skateboarding game?) and that's it.

And some places like here, we got the consoles, and 2 games....yeah, walmart must be pissed, cause they got a whole shelf cleaned out for the Kinect, and no games to put in it.

I dont care about gimmicks, I just care about good games. I dont want to look like an idiot when I play games

You do realize that you are conflicting with yourself here? Kinect may not be gimmicky, and some of the games may be good. As far as looking like an idiot....how exactly does Kinect make you look like an idiot? Its just another way to interact with a game.

If you're saying that jumping and moving your arms makes you look like an idiot...does that make all NBA players look like idiots?

The idea that you must use a traditional controller to play video games is simply not true. I'm not saying that all motion games will be good. Not even close. However, the ones that do it well (Super Mario Galaxy for example) can be hella fun.

Edited by Lord Helmet

Picked up a kinect for my girlfriend last nite at Gamestop. Didnt even have to pre order. The clerk said that there were not alot of preorders at all. Anyway......fast foward to today and she loves it. I got her Dance Central......so she is currently trying to dance. As for me..........I'll pass on it. It is very responsive and i can see some cool things being done with it in the future.

It's abundant on shelves at the stores I was at yesterday... no mad rush to get it anywhere. But in all fairness, there doesn't seem to be a Wii Sports that is getting the interest of the market. Sure there are a pile of games for it but nothing that people are making it a 'must-buy' item.

Then again, the history of add-on peripherals for game consoles are not pretty so I can't say I'm surprised.

too little too late.. way way way too lste in the consolecycle. guess they have to have something to sell for christmas. Funny them finally admitting Wii had it right. :D

I can see Gates or Ballmer out there saying "me too!" that would be a funny commercial!

Locsl best buy said its not selling but it's early yet. wait for black friday. heck ipad was panned and even it sold.