IGNORED

Kinect Launch Day. Disturbingly slow?

Paul Humbug

atarian63 bashing the XBOX 360 without proof... again! Imagine that!

Anywho... my nephew bought it on launch day and his family is having a blast with it.

But apparently there are some problems.

1. Little boys heard daddy giving it voice commands and so they decided to give it voice commands too. And it doesn't seem to understand that daddy is boss and it shouldn't listen to little boys. :D

2. His youngest boys are twins. If you can't tell them apart, neither can it! I suggested buying different colored hats or wristbands or something.

But they have loved it so far so bash away people... I think Microsoft will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Oh, and I'm sure there will still be plenty of hardcore gamer type games to go around in addition to the jump around like an idiot games.

• Like 2

You have read that? Want to share a link?

It's a super secret publication that only five people in the world get. I'd tell you more but I would get fired and then killed (and I'm not even one of the five)

I saw the Kinect demo'd at a Best buy. I'll admit it's slick, and contrary to atarian63s more than likely completely bogus story, the folks trying it out (there was around 8 people standing there when I arrived) were all talking positive and having a good time with it. I like the way the thing auto adjusts itself to your height. Really nice.

I still have little interest in it. Maybe if they release a couple of must have titles, some unique game that just has to be experienced because it's sooo revolutionary, Ill buy into it. Rafting down a river and playing HD versions of Wii Sports aint doing it for me. We moved recently so my disposable cash is going to other things right now. Too bad because Xmas is coming up...I'll be redoing my kitchen this year, not jumping around the living room. Maybe next year.

• Like 3

according to figures i've seen it sold 475k in 2 days, not too shabby.

I have read they are starting to get returns already at best buy for most of the reasons already mentioned here. bad detection,lighting,darkclothing detection,space.. Betting this will be a high return rate item.

yes, please do. i read n4g all day long and i've read nothing of the sort. if you can wade through all the sony fangirls on that site, the people who actually own it are pretty pleased.

Nope, you both are off track. Notice I said atarian63s sources. These are the super-secret sources. That don't exist. And make stuff up. It's totally possible for these sources to proclaim something as outrageous as more returns than units sold. I would also say that there are already truckloads of defective ones being sold for $5 to another country.

A quick look at Bestbuys website and Kinect reviews show very high ratings for the stand alone and bundle. Odd that BB is getting so many returns.

My previous assessment in another thread that atarian63 is a Gamestop employee appear to be incorrect. I think he works at Bestbuy based on the "facts" concerning Bestbuy twice in this thread.

Edited by Starscream
  • Like 2

My previous assessment in another thread that atarian63 is a Gamestop employee appear to be incorrect. I think he works at Bestbuy based on the "facts" concerning Bestbuy twice in this thread.

Well MY secret sources tells me he's not actually a Best Buy employee. He just shows up everyday at 9am, plays free video games (PS3 and Wii only) at the demo kiosks till around 3pm, then spends a couple hours trying to keep customers out of the 360 section of the store eventually forcing security to remove him from the premises.

He calls it his job though.

• Like 3

Well MY secret sources tells me he's not actually a Best Buy employee. He just shows up everyday at 9am, plays free video games (PS3 and Wii only) at the demo kiosks till around 3pm, then spends a couple hours trying to keep customers out of the 360 section of the store eventually forcing security to remove him from the premises.

Best Buy has him on super secret double probation for invading the game department and for celebrating when he wins by saying "in your face" to small children who run crying to their mama.

The reviews for sports and adventures are pretty average.

Here's the problem:

I would have to guess that any and I mean MANY ma and pa's out there are probably satisfied with the Wii (and maybe all the shovelware games they got ripped off into buying) to bother buying anything else. We are talking Uncle Harry and Aunt Margaret.

I think MS (and Sony) has a really tough goal to try and dethrone the Nintendo Wii in any shape or form.

So far this looks more of the same. I'm not dropping a dime on this (or Move) unless I see something more than worthwhile. I don't got the space! icon_razz.gif

I can't imagine playing an FPS on this thing or even an RPG.

I think it goes beyond that. The 360 and PS3 have always had pretty much the same player demographics (i.e. hardcore gamers), while the Wii has stood out from the rest as a family orientated machine. Hardcore gamers have generally been put off from the Wii. The controllers are, let's face it, crap for fast paced gaming. Kinect is probably going to be seen in the same way.

It says something that the most excited person I have met regarding the Kinect has been a 'Game' store manager who's a self-confessed Nintendo nut.

The Kinect is cool technology but that's about it. If the games improve and become more relevant to me, rather than the Wii crowd, then I might be tempted. Then again, I might be tempted to get it just for the cool dashboard control it gives me.icon_wink.gif

according to figures i've seen it sold 475k in 2 days, not too shabby.

I have read they are starting to get returns already at best buy for most of the reasons already mentioned here. bad detection,lighting,darkclothing detection,space.. Betting this will be a high return rate item.

There is no link, it's in my email. I do asset dispostion for a major retailer. They have been reporting a large number of early returns. My guy says that space,recognition and a large number of units shutting down and have to be replugged frequently to work. His inside opinion is they will be swamped with returns after christmas.

I did see this link for you today that it is starting to show up.

http://gorumors.com/kinect-random-shut-down-problem/2756743

http://forums.xbox.com/34923444/PrintPost.aspx

Ahh Boycon..

If you would only come out of mamas basement onto the real world and get a job.. not likely.

Whatever sorry fact dobt fit the fanboy world you and several other chuildren here seem to live in.

Now back to the basement with you and clean your room..

There is no link, it's in my email. I do asset dispostion for a major retailer. They have been reporting a large number of early returns. My guy says that space,recognition and a large number of units shutting down and have to be replugged frequently to work. His inside opinion is they will be swamped with returns after christmas.

If this were really a major issue the Xbox forums would be inundated with people experiencing the issue. We know what it looks like when there is a mass hardware defect in a popular new product. For an example look at the Guitar Hero forums around the time their first drum kit was released. The forum was absolutely swamped with people complaining about the issue and confirming it. That is typically how these things go down. Looking at the Xbox forum I don't see anything of the sort. I see one thread from today that mentions the sort of issue you are linking to. Then looking over a couple of days I see a few people with actual hardware issues. I don't see anything beyond normal expectations. Big whoop that you link to an article that quotes 2 people. Then the second link you put is a link to the first post the first article quotes. I have stated a number of times I want Kinect to fail. But even wanting that outcome I don't feel the need to make crap up.

If you work the job you claim to work then you are going to see broken merchandise on a disproportionate scale. I doubt that your company has access to any manufacturers numbers as far as production quantity, failure rates, or upcoming failure rates. A company that handles product disposal has no need for any of that information nor would a manufacturer want to provide it. All a disposal company needs to know is how to properly dispose of the stuff. I doubt that you are privy to any amazing insider information. You talk to a couple biased retail chain goons and think you have amazing insight into what is going on in the industry. Strangely though, the hardware that is largely failing turns out to always be MS hardware. Never any mention of dealing with PS3's that have YLOD or Wii's that eat discs. And, strangely enough, the great numbers of failing 360 Slims you reported never materialized in any reports from any actual reliable source. It really is fitting that the site you linked to is "Go Rumors" because that is all you ever come with. Your obsession with seeing the 360 fail is sad really. You might want to get used to the fact that MS is in this industry for the long haul though. The 360 has been a big success despite the hardware issues and it looks like MS is moving passed them... without you it would seem.

Grr. Sold out at Best Buy too icon_neutral.gif

not here, local store still has a bunch.

Surprised to get an email from 'Game' telling me they were back in stock. When I spoke to the Nintendo fanboy manager, he was almost frothing at the mouth in anticipation (he'd been on a pre-release product orientation day) and staff were telling us that if we wanted one, we'd have to preorder pretty quickly.

It's now sounding like it was just sales tactics.

If this were really a major issue the Xbox forums would be inundated with people experiencing the issue. We know what it looks like when there is a mass hardware defect in a popular new product. For an example look at the Guitar Hero forums around the time their first drum kit was released. The forum was absolutely swamped with people complaining about the issue and confirming it. That is typically how these things go down. Looking at the Xbox forum I don't see anything of the sort. I see one thread from today that mentions the sort of issue you are linking to. Then looking over a couple of days I see a few people with actual hardware issues. I don't see anything beyond normal expectations. Big whoop that you link to an article that quotes 2 people. Then the second link you put is a link to the first post the first article quotes. I have stated a number of times I want Kinect to fail. But even wanting that outcome I don't feel the need to make crap up.

If you work the job you claim to work then you are going to see broken merchandise on a disproportionate scale. I doubt that your company has access to any manufacturers numbers as far as production quantity, failure rates, or upcoming failure rates. A company that handles product disposal has no need for any of that information nor would a manufacturer want to provide it. All a disposal company needs to know is how to properly dispose of the stuff. I doubt that you are privy to any amazing insider information. You talk to a couple biased retail chain goons and think you have amazing insight into what is going on in the industry. Strangely though, the hardware that is largely failing turns out to always be MS hardware. Never any mention of dealing with PS3's that have YLOD or Wii's that eat discs. And, strangely enough, the great numbers of failing 360 Slims you reported never materialized in any reports from any actual reliable source. It really is fitting that the site you linked to is "Go Rumors" because that is all you ever come with. Your obsession with seeing the 360 fail is sad really. You might want to get used to the fact that MS is in this industry for the long haul though. The 360 has been a big success despite the hardware issues and it looks like MS is moving passed them... without you it would seem.

so far the only issue that i have seen with the slim 360 is the first batched had a few faulty power bricks, and it would seem that MS promptly corrected the problem before it got out of hand. so far none of my friends that own a slim 360 has had no issues from the slim (first batch and current batch). with any electronic product you will always run into a chance of DOA hardware or faulty hardware that only lasts a few weeks, it does not matter who makes it (SONY, MS or Nintendo).

when it concerns a fanboy the other platform will always have more issues, more returns, more failures and less games then their hardware. i see it they all have issues, all have returns, all have failures because i am not a fanboy, but a fan of gaming.

Edited by madmax2069