IGNORED

Kinect Launch Day. Disturbingly slow?

Paul Humbug

There is no link, it's in my email.

Like I said.

I do asset dispostion for a major retailer.

Works in a Best Buy warehouse. :roll:

They have been reporting a large number of early returns. My guy says that space,recognition and a large number of units shutting down and have to be replugged frequently to work. His inside opinion is they will be swamped with returns after christmas.

I'm guessing it's the USB driver rather than the hardware. Communications get screwed up, the 360 thinks the device is disconnected and stops talking to it. The Kinect doesn't get a response and thinks the 360 has been turned off so it turns off.

The reason I say that is Microsoft's USB drivers suck on Windows and the 360 is pickier as to what USB Flash drives you use, so it should be even worse.

Grr. Sold out at Best Buy too :|

not here, local store still has a bunch.

They had the bundle with a new 360 console, but not just the sensor bundle for those of us that already have a console. I'm sure I'll find one soon. I doubt these are going to be as difficult to find as the Wii was a couple of years ago.

Well, our local Wallyworld finely got some games in. They got ten...ish, and most are sports games and the like I could give two shits less about. If I get one, maybe I'd get the sonic scating game, that could be like Tonyhawk with the skateboard right?

Anyhow, as for expence, wasn't the SegaCD and 32X also both released at $150 or $200 price points? I seem to remember they were, and while not the hottest sellers ever, they both did OK IMO

And I'd be the type to pay $100+ for a controller (if I could have gotten that awesome Mech controller for the original Xbox, I sure as hell would have) And how about each non compatible successive generation of guitar game (or incompatible serieses) How many peopole thought nothing of plunking down another $50 or another $100 each generation of game that is essentually the same? I mean, maybe they'll make updates to the Kinect, but at least they should be generationally compatible.

It's a super secret publication that only five people in the world get. I'd tell you more but I would get fired and then killed (and I'm not even one of the five)

He read it in an email he sent to himself. :roll:

What did he do, hit "send all" or something? That sounds like something my dumbass would do.

According to atarian63 sources,nearly 650K Kinect units have already been returned out of the 475K sold due to defects.

Well...we know you have to adjust for inflation though, but that still sounds like a lot :P

Edited by Video

For a "disturbingly slow" launch, a million units in 10 days isn't too bad. (My inside sources tell me that only 523,641 have actually been sold, but they were all returned to Best Buy and sold again.)

Article

My friend's brother's uncle's niece's mother's boyfriend's son says that only 10,000 kinects were sold to end users and all were returned. The rest were sold to the CIA and the Department of Homeland Security to be used to illegally spy on Americans. My source is impeccable and is very "Kinect Connected".....

(My inside sources tell me that only 523,641 have actually been sold, but they were all returned to Best Buy and sold again.)

My friend's brother's uncle's niece's mother's boyfriend's son says that only 10,000 kinects were sold to end users and all were returned.

Careful Bilnick and rxd, Don't make too much fun of atarian63's made up anti-360 stories or he might get upset and make up stories about you in a lame attempt to insult you. :dunce:

Here's another article on the status of the Kinect.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20101115/tc_pcworld/microsoftkinecttopped1millionunitsin10days_1

Kinect seems to be off to a rousing start if Microsoft's math adds up. The company claims its motion sensor for Xbox 360 sold--that's sold-through, as opposed to shipped--1 million units worldwide in the first 10 days since launch.

Sounds like even non 360 owners are getting pumped about the Kenect....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20101115/bs_nf/76078

Programmers are rapidly adapting the Minority Report-like device for other uses that have nothing to do with the Xbox 360 -- and a contest is seeking more experiments. :ahoy:

I'd say "disturbingly slow" might be the wrong term to describe the sales. I wonder if it will become one of the hot items for Xmas this year? I'll have to admit, if that does happen, I didn't see it coming.

I just wish there was a way to automatically filter out all the Kinect crap when I turn on my 360.

Are you referring to Kinect highlight windows on the dashboard? :?

If you still have the Welcome line up on the dash (lots of Kinect stuff right now) you can remove that I believe under system settings. If you've already done that, nothing else can be done that I know of except ignore them. I only counted 4 Kinect highlights out of around 80 windows so it should be easy once that Welcome line is gone. :cool:

The whole casual gamer thing isn't going to go well for 360 and PS3 which have been marketed to hardcore gamers from the start. I seriously doubt very many people are going to be buying a 360 or PS3 with whatever the hell they call their motion control systems when the Wii is there with a lower price and already with tons of casual games available. I also doubt many of the hardcore that make up the bulk of the 360 and PS3 user bases are going to bother with this crap. I would say a good percentage of both 360 and PS3 gamers already have a Wii as a backup console for playing lighter games anyway so they have no real incentive to upgrade to play those same games on their main console.

• Like 1

The whole casual gamer thing isn't going to go well for 360 and PS3 which have been marketed to hardcore gamers from the start. I seriously doubt very many people are going to be buying a 360 or PS3 with whatever the hell they call their motion control systems when the Wii is there with a lower price and already with tons of casual games available. I also doubt many of the hardcore that make up the bulk of the 360 and PS3 user bases are going to bother with this crap. I would say a good percentage of both 360 and PS3 gamers already have a Wii as a backup console for playing lighter games anyway so they have no real incentive to upgrade to play those same games on their main console.

Which totally explains the number of Kinect controllers sold so far. :roll:

Which totally explains the number of Kinect controllers sold so far. :roll:

The day is young. Now, if they can sell another 75 million, they'll catch up to Wii.

Hey a million people with money to burn to drag Pac-Man around their TV set with their "hands".

You mean 2.5 million?

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1137285p1.html

Who knew? It's safe to say at this point there was nothing slow about the Kinect launch, disturbing or otherwise.

With Xmas coming up, they just might sell the 5 million units they were predicting.

For an expensive console add on, this thing has surprised me. (still won't be buying one this year)

Hey a million people with money to burn to drag Pac-Man around their TV set with their "hands".

You mean 2.5 million?

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1137285p1.html

Who knew? It's safe to say at this point there was nothing slow about the Kinect launch, disturbing or otherwise.

With Xmas coming up, they just might sell the 5 million units they were predicting.

For an expensive console add on, this thing has surprised me. (still won't be buying one this year)

No I'm not getting one but I like the fact that its hands free, the only problem I can see from what I saw on videos and personally at Best Buy's trying it out myself is I'm not so sure how games I like to play will work.

Like how fast can it really track your movements for action games and whatnot? I'm looking at all these somewhat slow games and I'm like what about action games?

It just seems awkward and not totally accurate on some faster games I tried.

There's a whole lot of questions so maybe next year they will have some interesting stuff for it and some more detail.

Same here today. many customers commented on it being a "Wii-too" device, lots of laughs. One guy there while they were demoing it pointed out you could get the entire Wii for almost the same money. Still not selling well according to the sales person. Odd since this Best buy is more 360 based the most Best buys. Reminds me of eye toy. nothing wrong with that just it should be $50 not $150. for that money just buy a Wii. That seemed to be the consensus of people shopping there today and a very busy day.people were trying it out. they had problems with people in dark clothing for some reason..

How come everytime I'm near a demo unit at a retailer with people playing it, they're not openly discussing what they think about it? I can't remember ever hearing someone provide an opinion of what they just tried out when I've been shopping over the years.

Having trouble picturing many customers trying this and talking like that. They were actually going up to employees and telling them what they thought about it? Or were they groups of customers talking among themselves with an employee overhearing the conversations?

Sure doesn't sound right to me.

Edited by Atariboy

Well, I finally played this thing at the Microsoft store and I have to admit I thought it was pretty sweet. The boat game I was playing was very arcade like and really made me feel like I was playing something new and revolutionary. WAY better than the MOVE which I bought at launch and sold shortly after. The set up at the Microsoft store did have a LOT of trouble not reading you when you were to close to the screen. I only played for about 10 minutes but from what I could tell if you were any closer than 7 feet for-get-about-it! If it does that on there nice TV in a store set up display I am a little worried how my small living room would handle it seeing it's only about 11 feet wide and 3 or 4 feet of that is taken up by couch. Really that is the only thing stopping me from getting it. I am debating dedicating a portion of my basement gameroom to it but I will really have to play it more before I do that since it would take up the space of two potential pinball machines.

Well, I finally played this thing at the Microsoft store and I have to admit I thought it was pretty sweet. The boat game I was playing was very arcade like and really made me feel like I was playing something new and revolutionary. WAY better than the MOVE which I bought at launch and sold shortly after. The set up at the Microsoft store did have a LOT of trouble not reading you when you were to close to the screen. I only played for about 10 minutes but from what I could tell if you were any closer than 7 feet for-get-about-it! If it does that on there nice TV in a store set up display I am a little worried how my small living room would handle it seeing it's only about 11 feet wide and 3 or 4 feet of that is taken up by couch. Really that is the only thing stopping me from getting it. I am debating dedicating a portion of my basement gameroom to it but I will really have to play it more before I do that since it would take up the space of two potential pinball machines.

Why would you buy move & then get rid of it so quickly?? Would you do the same with kinect?? Both seem to have some half decent titles, but the good stuff should be coming in 12-18 months time!! :D When everyone should be getting used to it & having thought outside the box!

Well, it's seem sto be selling well so far, I still want to wait and see if it's seriously going to be supported or not though before putting money into one. Who knows, after christmass, you may be able to get one for $100 instead.

Anyhow, the local wallyworld seems to be turning them over fast enough, then, they don't have a whole display full of them either. Which may help, as people may think it's hard to come by or osmething (like constantly only having two wii's for the last couple of years helped move those)