IGNORED

Call of Duty: Black Ops Released Tomorrow!

Frizo

Well, the new Call of Duty: Black Ops is coming out tomorrow. I have to ask you all some questions.

1. Did you pre-order it?

2. Do you have a previous CoD game? Will you continue to play it? (Multiplayer, as campaign gets boring after you beat it a couple of times, because then you know what happens!)

3. Do you think it will fail or make a good seller? I mean Treyarch HAS made some not-so-great games in the past, but this one looks killer.

Other than that, just discuss!

Well I for one pre-ordered the game.

I own Call of Duty 4 and 6, and I have to say this, after I get a new call of duty, the other one collects dust. I mean, I really play CoD for the multiplayer, and the campaign, but not as much. So if the multiplayer got upgraded, I would normally play the newer game. And I personally think this game will be good, they ARE jumping OUT of the WW2 era and into the Cold and Vietnam wars. I think this game will be pretty awesome!

And you guys?

Well, the new Call of Duty: Black Ops is coming out tomorrow. I have to ask you all some questions.

1. Did you pre-order it?

Yes. Amazon Prime had it on my doorstep day of release. No midnight lines for me.

2. Do you have a previous CoD game? Will you continue to play it? (Multiplayer, as campaign gets boring after you beat it a couple of times, because then you know what happens!)

Yes, I have World at War, MW and MW2. I'll still play them, I think -- although, MW2 less than the others

3. Do you think it will fail or make a good seller? I mean Treyarch HAS made some not-so-great games in the past, but this one looks killer.

I think it will sell like madness. I'm in the minority, I know, but I really prefer the Treyarch iterations over Infinity Ward. A few of my friends agree, but most do not -- World at War was the best in the series. So, I had high hopes for Black Ops. MW2 drives me nuts -- the sheer abandon of the kill streaks is maddening. A game ending in 30-45 seconds due to Tactical Nukes is silly. The fact that you are shoved into such a small area and so much death rains down from above is extremely frustrating. Die, respawn -- within a second -- die, respawn, ad nauseum.

Other than that, just discuss!

Meh.

I have Black Ops. Its ok. The levels are more imaginative than MW2, but they feel a bit too cramped for me. I threw in World at War, and still enjoy it, more.

The killstreak rewards are more sensible, thank god. The game is vastly more balanced than MW2. But, I miss the greater diversity and scope of the of the levels found in World at War. I miss tanks.

But, something else has changed. In between getting sick of MW2, I picked up Battlefield 2, Bad Company. Its not a twitch shooter, frag fest, that you find in the CoD series, but is still very fast paced. But it introduces strategy into the games that is completely absent in the CoD games. Frankly, after enjoying the richness of the Battlefield gameplay, I'm fairly jaded regarding CoD. And while you level up in Battlefield, you start the game completely capable; many of the players never switch from the default armaments given at level 1.

Nonetheless, I press forward with Black Ops. I hope it will kick in and I'll enjoy it as much as the first MW. I can tell it's not going to impress me more than World at War.

By the way, you probably already know... When you are strapped to the chair in the menu, you can press the shoulder buttons to escape. There is a computer terminal in the room you can use. Type in DOA and ZORK :)

1. Did you pre-order it?

I did, went to my local gamestop for the midnight. got there at 11:30 and was out by 12:30.

I have MW and World at War still. I might go online with them... assuming the servers aren't abandoned after all these years.

It will sell as many copies as MW2. It's very good, probably Treyarch's best.

I'm going to raise my estimation of this game a bit. While I think the core modes are frustrating, the hardcore modes are exhilarating. In the previous games, while I still preferred hard core, I would more often than not go for Ground War. But here, in Black Ops, the gulf in gameplay quality is immense; and clearly, its drawing a different kind of player, one that likes to play a little more cautiously.