IGNORED

Interest Check: Classic Console Tournament At Retrocade VI

VectorGamer

Who would be interested in playing in a classic console gaming tournament at Retrocade VI next April at my place in Harrisburg, PA?

Here's my brainstorm:

Tournament runs 7PM - 2AM on Saturday and then noon to 5PM on Sunday followed by closing ceremonies.

Rules would mimic Mark Alpiger's CAGDC tournaments:

Pool of 25 games selected by players spanning six classic consoles (e.g. Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, NES, ColecoVision, C64)

Threshold scores are assigned per each title (i.e. let's say Space Invaders on the 2600 has a threshold of 5,000 points - you must score higher than 5,000 points to submit a qualifying score)

Players must score on a minimum of 7 games for their scores to qualify in the tournament standings

Entrance fee would be around $20 with that money going to the cash prize pool for first, second and third place

Giving this some more thought and this is very doable if I can get 20 players signed up willing to battle it out for a $200 top prize...

Tournament registration would begin on Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 3:30. Opening ceremony at 4:00 and tournament runs until midnight. Tournament continues on Sunday with doors opening at 11:30 and tournament hours 12-5 followed by closing ceremonies and distribution of cash prizes.

Cost per player would be $20. With that, I can distribute cash prizes: $200 for first, $100 for second, $50 for third and the remaining $50 to cover my expenses of printing up badges and whatever is left can be distributed as $10 cash prizes for top scores on individual titles. If there are folks like e.g. AtariAge, GameGavel, VideoGameTrader that provide promotional prize packs that would be great also.

I'll setup the tournament games in the garage (I'll clean it up and fix it up so it looks less like a garage). That way the Retrocade VI (which will begin at 7:30) crowd will know that they can watch but those consoles are restricted to tournament players only. The Retrocade and Florida room consoles will be open to everyone in attendance. So, players will have options when they want to break from the tournament to play other games, chill in the lounge area or upstairs and eat lite fare or watch a ballgame on TV.

I am proposing five consoles to be setup for the tournament (with the 7800 also playing the 2600 joystick games) and the following lineup:

Atari 2600 (paddle games)

Breakout

Circus

Kaboom

Tac/Scan

Atari 5200

Berzerk

Centipede

Missile Command

Qix

Atari 7800

Asteroids

Joust

Jr. Pac-Man

Pole Position II

Fast Food (2600)

Juno First (2600)

Pressure Cooker (2600)

Reactor (2600)

ColecoVision

Defender

Galaxian

Jungle Hunt

Mario Bros.

Commodore 64

Buck Rogers

Moon Patrol

Omega Race

Wizard of Wor

Threshold scores would be placed on respective titles. This will deter players from playing games that they should not be playing (for example, I suck at Buck Rogers so it would be a disservice to me, the other players and referees to be playing this title).

Players would have to place 7 qualifying scores to have their scores count towards the tournament standings and therefore eligible for cash prizes. Players can place as many scores as they so desire.

I would need about two players to volunteer about an hour of their tournament time to referee. This will allow me to take a break and update the tournament results. I will have a separate monitor and PC setup with tournament results.

Tournament results will be posted to the official Retrocade www site http://retrocadeweb.webs.com/

So, who's in???

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Do you know when you will be having another one of these? :)

Tentatively scheduled for April 23, 2011

Awesome. I will be there, the gf will be if she can get off of work as well, if that is ok.

I can bring my TMNT project if you like.. :)

Its basically a TMNT supergun, that uses Genesis controllers.

Do you know when you will be having another one of these? :)

Tentatively scheduled for April 23, 2011

Awesome. I will be there, the gf will be if she can get off of work as well, if that is ok.

I can bring my TMNT project if you like.. :)

Its basically a TMNT supergun, that uses Genesis controllers.

Yes, the gf is invited as well. Make sure I have your most current email address because the status of the last invite was "delivered." It's possible it went to your Junk folder. We send out the invites using Pingg so you would see an email coming from Pingg.com

Do you have pix of this TMNT project so I can see what I'm getting into and what needs to be setup?