IGNORED

7800XM1 - Project Update

Curt Vendel

Hi,

Okay, plastics are completed. Texturing is done and looks really good. So here are photo's of the completed plastics:

post-23-128948013294_thumb.jpg

Also everyone asked if they could see the tooling dies for the molding process, here they are:

post-23-128948014721_thumb.jpg

post-23-128948016467_thumb.jpg

Nameplate update: Master tool is taking longer then expected, company says 1 more week, this looks like it may delay release for 1 week.

Boxes: Box work is running behind and the interior holding work is not done, had to ship a sample set of plastics to the box company to have them work in the interior box holding design and I'm told that could be 7-10 days.

So the 11/26 ship date looks like its going to be pushed back to Dec 10th, which I personally had a feeling was going to happen, but I wanted to stay on as an aggressive a schedule as possible, lets see if a few days can be regained and maybe come forward to more around Dec 3rd, just want to keep everyone completely in the loop on progress.

Last 2 parts - Cartridge guide plastic and obtaining SIO connectors are still being waited on...

Curt

• Like 3

I have some earlier shots, I want to wait for the sample nameplates to arrive and them take some really good close up shots and give everyone the full jaw-drop effect, so hang tight.

It already looks great, my jaw already dropped a little. I'm not sure what I will do when it is complete and you post THOSE pictures. I guess I'll have to just collapse to the floor. Looks great, thanks for the update! :)

Well, again, even though newer games to take advantage of the sounds and extra memory may not immediately be available, all of the high score cart compatible games will immediately take advantage of it. I know Pokey Enhanced Pac Man and perhaps Pokey Enhanced Donkey Kong may be one of the first two games to head of the door, but I can't speak for the dev's, I've just seen (heard) the alpha and beta versions...

Curt

So the 11/26 ship date looks like its going to be pushed back to Dec 10th

Cool - closer to my birthday. No biggie for me because there aren't any announce dates (that I've seen) for games that will be playable on it when it arrives. My only hope is that it physically arrives before Christmas.

Well, again, even though newer games to take advantage of the sounds and extra memory may not immediately be available, all of the high score cart compatible games will immediately take advantage of it. I know Pokey Enhanced Pac Man and perhaps Pokey Enhanced Donkey Kong may be one of the first two games to head of the door, but I can't speak for the dev's, I've just seen (heard) the alpha and beta versions...

Curt

So the 11/26 ship date looks like its going to be pushed back to Dec 10th

Cool - closer to my birthday. No biggie for me because there aren't any announce dates (that I've seen) for games that will be playable on it when it arrives. My only hope is that it physically arrives before Christmas.

I think Donkey Pokey Kong is ready, though I'd like to spend some time playing in hardware to make sure there aren't any lingering bugs. I hope to have a working cart in the next week or two.

Anyone interested in helping to play test in emulation, please see my post in 7800 Hacks for the a78 file.

The only thing missing at this point is a label. I'm no artist, so hopefully someone in the forums can help out and put together a new label. :)

Pure lusciousness. Still think a modded version (drill a few holes for power and a/v) , might some day make for an interesting all-in-one unit, including a FB-like 7800 board along with the XM board provided by this unit... maybe several years from now.

Edited by AtariNerd

Last 2 parts - Cartridge guide plastic and obtaining SIO connectors are still being waited on...

Curt

Awesome pictures! Interesting tidbit on the SIO connectors. Any chance of making (sourcing) a few dozen extras for the A8 crowd? I know I could certainly use some extras.

Here is the mockup of the box art. Just waiting for the nameplate samples to arrive so I can dress up the plastics, take a really good high res shot and apply it, also don't mind the screen shots, they are just placeholders on the box...

So this is more or less the 1984 look, with some minor updates to it, thanks to Pac Man Prime for supplying the grid background pattern for the box art.

post-23-128962777202_thumb.jpg

Curt

• Like 4

Wow, that does look really good!

My only question would be about the font choice-- any chance of using a slightly more Atari-looking font? (not sure if it's a font licensing issue or what)

I did a mockup for what I mean... the smaller text sort of disappears but that's probably just due to the size... I really hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes..!

post-3066-128963389283_thumb.jpg

Edited by Justin42

My only question would be about the font choice . . .

The thing that stands out to me is that the text goes over the model number on the product. Wonder what it would look like with the left part of the product raised up a bit and and the right side of the text lowered a bit?

The purple text with the XM's features on looks odd to me. Personally I'd like to see it in easy to read text at the bottom right corner so it doesn't overlap the XM picture at all. Hmmm.... Something like

Saves high scores*

128 kilobytes of RAM

Twelve channels of arcade quality sound

Expandable I/O

*Game dependent

The purple text with the XM's features on looks odd to me. Personally I'd like to see it in easy to read text at the bottom right corner so it doesn't overlap the XM picture at all. Hmmm.... Something like

Saves high scores*

128 kilobytes of RAM

Expandable I/O

*Game dependent

The marketer in me would suggest ignoring the technical stuff (cause not everyone knows what it is or what it can do) and focus on the benefits!

Example:

- Save your high scores!

- More memory for more advanced games!

- Adds fantastic arcade quality sound

- Add additional peripherals to your 7800!

• Like 2

Here is the mockup of the box art. Just waiting for the nameplate samples to arrive so I can dress up the plastics, take a really good high res shot and apply it, also don't mind the screen shots, they are just placeholders on the box...

So this is more or less the 1984 look, with some minor updates to it, thanks to Pac Man Prime for supplying the grid background pattern for the box art.

post-23-128962777202_thumb.jpg

Curt

Thank you for going all out to make this such a special experience. It really is a work of art!

Saves high scores*

128 kilobytes of RAM

Expandable I/O

*Game dependent

The marketer in me would suggest ignoring the technical stuff (cause not everyone knows what it is or what it can do) and focus on the benefits!

Example:

- Save your high scores!

- More memory for more advanced games!

- Adds fantastic arcade quality sound

- Add additional peripherals to your 7800!

+1

It sound more like a real product from the '80 like this.