IGNORED

Dragon's Lair on PSN

cimerians

I haven't bought a downloaded game in a while but this may make me do it. Just so I can watch it without having to pop in a DVD etc.

At least I hope it has a watch feature cause I'm not that good at Dragon's Lair but I love it. :P

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/playstation-3/dragons-lair-coming-to-psn.html

I wonder what the trophies will be?

I have the Wii version that comes with Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair 2, and Space Ace. It's nice to watch through the games, and play them a couple of times...but in the end they're still the same old games...and not all that fun really. Dragon's Lair 2 is REALLY hard IMHO. I think $10 is a good price for these as a download.

anybody remember time traveler?

Time Traveler

Wow...I remember that. I saw it in an arcade when I was younger and every time I would go there nobody was playing it.

I used to play this laserdisc game called MACH 3 which was an air combat game, it wasnt all that bad. I also remember a cheezy NFL football game that used real footage of the Raiders and Chiefs if I recall.

Time Traveler

Wow...I remember that. I saw it in an arcade when I was younger and every time I would go there nobody was playing it.

I used to play this laserdisc game called MACH 3 which was an air combat game, it wasnt all that bad. I also remember a cheezy NFL football game that used real footage of the Raiders and Chiefs if I recall.

arcade laser disc games were a strange breed.

i guess FMV (full motion video) games seemed like a good idea at the time, they sure LOOKED good.

didn't really work for the home consoles though...

Time Traveler

My favorite was Cliff Hanger. Loved the game but you couldn't get near it unless you showed up at Aladdin's Castle when they first opened in the morning. Very popular around here.

I'd possibly pay $10 for Dragon's Lair but I don't think I would go over that... and I own the 20th Anniversary DVD set already.

• 3 weeks later...

Time Traveler

Yeah I remember playing that when I was young it was pretty cool and I thought of or seen anything about this game since until tonight after buying Dragon's Lair. Now I see it mentioned here as well. Funny stuff.

So yeah I bought Dragon's Lair for PSN tonight and it was pretty cool. I remembered it in the arcades when I was little and just HAD to have it.

It's cool being able to play this again after all these years and it has alot of trophies so it will keep u busy for awhile.

It also lets you just watch the movie and it's HD so that is a awesome feature in itself.

I think it was worth the money. Better than spending 10 bucks on booze and pissing it away lol.

My favorite was Cliff Hanger. Loved the game but you couldn't get near it unless you showed up at Aladdin's Castle when they first opened in the morning. Very popular around here.

Loved that game as a kid. Year later I got the actual movie Lupin III the game was pieced together from on VHS, still have it to this day and I could pick out the scenes used for the game (although the dialog was way different.

As for Dragons Lair, I already have the Blu Ray version of the game. That pretty much the definitive edition right now in my opinion. I'll pass on the PSN download. Would like to see some of the older laser games make their way to current consoles in HD. One of my favorites was COBRA COMMAND.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't bought a downloaded game in a while but this may make me do it. Just so I can watch it without having to pop in a DVD etc.

At least I hope it has a watch feature cause I'm not that good at Dragon's Lair but I love it. :P

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/playstation-3/dragons-lair-coming-to-psn.html

I wonder what the trophies will be?

I actually bought that game for my ipod on sale for .99 cents. Identical to the arcade that I played back in '83. Don Bluth did the animation for that. Space Ace, where are you?

• 1 month later...

Interesting.

How is the video quality of these titles? I have the Dragons Lair game on Blu-Ray but it's been years since I've played Space Ace.

They do have it on Blu-Ray as well, but it's almost $40! Just curious how much better the $40 version looks compared to the $10 one.

Interesting.

How is the video quality of these titles? I have the Dragons Lair game on Blu-Ray but it's been years since I've played Space Ace.

They do have it on Blu-Ray as well, but it's almost $40! Just curious how much better the $40 version looks compared to the $10 one.

I saw a review on TV where they said it looks lower quality than the BluRay release. The review show is from Canada and called Reviews on the Run.

I believe they reviewed the PSN version of DL last week (mid-February).

They made specific comments that the clarity of the video is not as good as they've seen on the 20th Anniversary DVD set.

I downloaded the wallpaper for Space Ace yesterday and I was wondering when it was coming out. I have been debating whether I would get DL and now I have to do the same for Space Ace. I was never good at either, I never had enough money to learn the moves. It was dang expensive at the arcade I had the infrequent pleasure to visit.

Interesting.

I saw a review on TV where they said it looks lower quality than the BluRay release. The review show is from Canada and called Reviews on the Run.

I believe they reviewed the PSN version of DL last week (mid-February).

They made specific comments that the clarity of the video is not as good as they've seen on the 20th Anniversary DVD set.

Completely false.

I have the 20th anniversary set. The Blue Ray Dragons Lair. I also have the PSN version of course.

The PSN version for me is by far the best quality or equal quality to the blu ray version. It takes me 5 minutes to pop in the blue ray take it out and load up the downloaded version and compare

and I cannot see a difference. If there is I cant tell and I'm running full 1080P.

I have them all and I prefer the PSN version mainly due to the better controls, trophies and you don't have to pop in a disc to play.

Its a no brainer. Why on earth anyone would not want these downloadable versions is beyond me. (other than paying for more copies of these games yet again!)

Downloaded Space Ace. Now I'm done forever (unless the bastards make 3D versions etc LOL).

No more physical media ever again for Dragons Lair and Space Ace. Im done for a long time of buying these games again.

The PSN version for me is by far the best quality or equal quality to the blu ray version. It takes me 5 minutes to pop in the blue ray take it out and load up the downloaded version and compare

and I cannot see a difference. If there is I cant tell and I'm running full 1080P.

Thanks cimerians. Looks like I'll be downloading Space Ace in a few minutes!! :thumbsup:

Edit : Game is a lot like I remember it, except I don't recall the awful voice acting and disjointed conversations. I did manage to get through the game on cadet on 5 lives using the move guide.

I have them all and I prefer the PSN version mainly due to the better controls, trophies and you don't have to pop in a disc to play.

Its a no brainer. Why on earth anyone would not want these downloadable versions is beyond me. (other than paying for more copies of these games yet again!)

I know this is the PS thread, but I'm curious if you have tried the recently released Wii version of Dragons Lair/Space Ace? I've read both good & bad comments on the release and was wondering what your thoughts were on it (if you've tried it).

And I totally understand your reasoning about downloading the games. But for myself, I still prefer my games on media and am sort of torn on whether to get the Blu-ray version or Wii version.

Mendon

Thanks cimerians. Looks like I'll be downloading Space Ace in a few minutes!! :thumbsup:

Edit : Game is a lot like I remember it, except I don't recall the awful voice acting and disjointed conversations. I did manage to get through the game on cadet on 5 lives using the move guide.

LOL...yeah the disjointed conversations are brutal. Even worse on Dragon's Lair II where you can barely tell what the characters are saying other than "OW!" or "Ugh!".

I know this is the PS thread, but I'm curious if you have tried the recently released Wii version of Dragons Lair/Space Ace? I've read both good & bad comments on the release and was wondering what your thoughts were on it (if you've tried it).

And I totally understand your reasoning about downloading the games. But for myself, I still prefer my games on media and am sort of torn on whether to get the Blu-ray version or Wii version.

Mendon

I should just get this out of the way. I'm a Dragons Lair\Space Ace freak so I've owned pretty much every version including the Sega CD and DOS garbage of yesteryear.

The Wii version is fantastic (I have that too). Its 480P but it still looks just as great as the PS3 games\Blu ray but obviously not as crisp on an LCD which I play my games on. I cant really tell any sort of obvious worse quality in the Wii version which means they really did an amazing job on all these games for every system. (Unlike the old days when you can tell) I was going to play through the Wii versions until PSN released Dragons Lair.

They are all excellent. (The 12th anniversary, the blu-ray version, the Wii, the PSN downloads). My biggest gripe is that I dont want to have to get up to get a CD just to play Dragons Lair (or watch it). I'm happy with a download copy since I own so many versions of the game and it looks good too (for me at least).

I should just get this out of the way. I'm a Dragons Lair\Space Ace freak so I've owned pretty much every version including the Sega CD and DOS garbage of yesteryear.

The Wii version is fantastic (I have that too). Its 480P but it still looks just as great as the PS3 games\Blu ray but obviously not as crisp on an LCD which I play my games on. I cant really tell any sort of obvious worse quality in the Wii version which means they really did an amazing job on all these games for every system. (Unlike the old days when you can tell) I was going to play through the Wii versions until PSN released Dragons Lair.

They are all excellent. (The 12th anniversary, the blu-ray version, the Wii, the PSN downloads). My biggest gripe is that I dont want to have to get up to get a CD just to play Dragons Lair (or watch it). I'm happy with a download copy since I own so many versions of the game and it looks good too (for me at least).

Thanks for the reply; much appreciated!!

After checking out Amazon, I believe I'll be going for the Wii version as getting the three titles on Blu-ray would set me back $125!! OUCH!!

One last question: Did you play Dragon's Lair 3D: Return to the Lair? If so, how was it?

Mendon