IGNORED

State of the Intellivision

~llama

What's the state of homebrew programming on the Intellivision? Anybody making new cartridges in the way that AtariAge does for the Atari systems?

I'm trying to determine whether to tackle the Intellivision or the 7800, and though I already know 6502, I think I can hang with the CP1600. Obviously they're very different systems, and I really don't even own an Intellivision (yet :D), but something about it is intriguing to me. I want to develop for a system where making cartridges of my games for people to play on their real systems is a viable option, though.

How's the homebrew scene? Seems kinda sparsely-populated.

What's the state of homebrew programming on the Intellivision? Anybody making new cartridges in the way that AtariAge does for the Atari systems?

I'm trying to determine whether to tackle the Intellivision or the 7800, and though I already know 6502, I think I can hang with the CP1600. Obviously they're very different systems, and I really don't even own an Intellivision (yet :D), but something about it is intriguing to me. I want to develop for a system where making cartridges of my games for people to play on their real systems is a viable option, though.

Hello,

I'm fairly new to the Intellivision homebrew scene (just a couple of years lurking around), but there is some interesting developments going on. I am currently working on a port of a popular 1980s game, and have some ideas on some original titles I will tackle later. I am aware of at least a couple of other projects which are active, as far as I know. I know of a team that makes ROM carts every so often.

We mostly hang out on the IntvProg mailing list in Yahoo! Groups <intvprog@yahoogroups.com>. Traffic is low, but there are some very knowledgeable people on that list that are quick to help. Although the community is nowhere as lively or expansive as that for the 2600 or 7800, what we lack in numbers we more than make up with enthusiasm and cohesiveness.

The CP1600 is a strange beast, and the Intellivision has a very curious set of limitations and quirks; but it is a very good platform for vintage games.

-dZ.

I've got a new cartridge design in the works that supports very large games (120k words ROM + 8k words RAM) and is in-circuit programmable. It makes publishing physical titles much easier than in the past.

The board I previously used required the EPROM to be programmed separately, and it turned into a manufacturing headache. But, if you want to go that route, the design is available and well tested.

I've got the hardware side covered, if you'd like to use my boards.

For whatever reasons, the Intellivision scene hasn't gotten as much love as the Atari scene. I guess there were more Atari units out there over a longer time span, and everybody seems to know 6502, including the Terminator and Bender Rodriguez, so that probably helps. :-)

I've certainly done what I've can to get information out there on how to program this lovely little system. The CP-1600 CPU is a pretty simple and fairly clean CPU, with a few interesting quirks. Having 6 16-bit almost fully interchangeable registers to play with rather than 3 is nice, but we don't have all the 6502's fun zero page addressing modes and such. (No indexed, indexed-indirect or indirect-indexed for you!) But, conditional branches can span the whole address map. :-)

At any rate, I'm always glad to answer questions and offer advice.

Which ever system you choose, welcome to homebrewing!

Both systems are compelling to me, so I'll probably just start dabbling with both until I stumble upon an idea that works better on one than the other, even though I feel like I need to pick one and commit to it until I really learn the ins and outs of the hardware.

That said, it seems that neither system was really pushed to its full potential by the games made during its "official" lifespan. Is it fair to say that this is more true for the Intellivision than for the 7800?

Edited by ~llama

Both systems are compelling to me, so I'll probably just start dabbling with both until I stumble upon an idea that works better on one than the other, even though I feel like I need to pick one and commit to it until I really learn the ins and outs of the hardware.

If your game idea requires a ton of arbitrarily placed sprites on screen at the same time I'd think about the 7800, otherwise the game could probably be done on the Inty (with compromises as always ;)). Feel free to discuss your project ideas if you want some ideas on feasibility or feedback.

That said, it seems that neither system was really pushed to its full potential by the games made during its "official" lifespan. Is it fair to say that this is more true for the Intellivision than for the 7800?

I haven't been programming the Inty very long so I can't comment on if it was pushed back in the day. However, I know the 7800 pretty well and based on my experience with it, I'd have say that it wasn't pushed very hard back in the day.

I've started a couple of projects here and here.

I've a couple of other things on the go too :ponder:.

Hey ... those two games look familiar ...

Speaking of INTV Homebrew (while I try to forgive GroovyBee for 'stepping out' on the 7800), I always hoped this would come to light!

Edited by DracIsBack

As for picking a console,I settled on the Intellivision. Playing with the emulator made me like it. There's something about the Intellivision that's really interesting to me, more so than the 7800 right now, so I'm going to find one with some games and start exploring icon_smile.gif

You may want to give Revolutionika a PM as I suspect Rev might be able to set you up with a system from his hoard. (Especially if you tell him you want to work on an INTV homebrew. He might just hand-deliver it!icon_mrgreen.gif )

Once I recover from being broke (which I'll be after I buy an Intellivision and some games, probably), the CC3 is at the top of my "to buy" list. Seems like with the Harmony stuff, the H2 development (and the CC2 already existing) and now the CC3, now is a great time to start getting into homebrew development, no matter what console you choose.

Are there any internal documents that describe the Intellivision architecture in the same way that there are internal Atari documents for the VCS and GCC/Atari documents for the 7800 and MARIA? That'd be really helpful. Seems sort of hard to piece everything together. Is the documentation included with jzIntv and SDK-1600 (which seems pretty awesome in its scope) everything there is?

Is the documentation included with jzIntv and SDK-1600 (which seems pretty awesome in its scope) everything there is?

The information in those two releases is pretty comprehensive. There are plenty of examples in the SDK1600 too. I'm hoping to start a tutorial series on Intellision homebrew in the near future too.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As for picking a console,I settled on the Intellivision. Playing with the emulator made me like it. There's something about the Intellivision that's really interesting to me, more so than the 7800 right now, so I'm going to find one with some games and start exploring icon_smile.gif

You may want to give Revolutionika a PM as I suspect Rev might be able to set you up with a system from his hoard. (Especially if you tell him you want to work on an INTV homebrew. He might just hand-deliver it!:D )

:D :D :D :D

i just read this tonight, how did i miss it? ....my hoard?!?!?!?! :P

You may want to give Revolutionika a PM as I suspect Rev might be able to set you up with a system from his hoard. (Especially if you tell him you want to work on an INTV homebrew. He might just hand-deliver it!icon_mrgreen.gif )

icon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gif

i just read this tonight, how did i miss it? ....my hoard?!?!?!?! icon_razz.gif

Wait, didn't we officially name it "Your hoard of units". icon_mrgreen.gif No? Hmmm, well we should have. How many did you leave behind? I wonder if he sold the rest....icon_ponder.gif

Wait, didn't we officially name it "Your hoard of units". icon_mrgreen.gif No? Hmmm, well we should have. How many did you leave behind? I wonder if he sold the rest....icon_ponder.gif

i have about 20 consoles left

Excellent, so I can continue to pimp your unit(s). Lol

Any of them for sale? I have an Intellivision I bought in e-Bay a couple of years ago, but I'm looking for another one.

-dZ.

Any of them for sale? I have an Intellivision I bought in e-Bay a couple of years ago, but I'm looking for another one.

-dZ.

I'm pretty sure Rev would be willing to hook you up with one, especially given what you're working on. Anyone that helps get new INTV games out there is worth supporting. :)

-dZ.

you want my precious?

-dZ.

you want my precious?

Indeed. What's the going price for a Master Component nowadays? I think I overpaid for the one I have because I was overcome by nostalgia. I'll try to restrain myself now. :)

-dZ.

-dZ.

I'm pretty sure Rev would be willing to hook you up with one, especially given what you're working on. Anyone that helps get new INTV games out there is worth supporting. :)

By the way, I'm still working on Christmas Carol, adding new features and levels. I just have a lot less time on my hands to work on it now.

-dZ.

• 2 months later...

hi there. So, no more news ?

Intellivision partially survived the crash of 1984 but for sure is now definitively dead. And for oldest and youngest systems like 2600 or Colecovision ( or even Vectrex and Odissey3, 7800, just to mention others of same era ) have new games each year.

Where are the Blue Angels ? still alive or definitively angels ?

where are homebrewers ?

all websites conc. Intellivision are also no more updated.

ok, ok, stop annoying you, continue crying alone...sigh