IGNORED

State of the Intellivision

~llama

Programming games for retro consoles is just a hobby. Programmers have real lives outside AA which prevents them working on their projects in their own free time. You'd be working for less than minimum wage if you tried to "go professional" and make any income from the hobby. Complaining about lack of updates and progress won't motivate retro game developers to finish their projects any sooner. If anything it'll most likely put them off.

hi there. So, no more news ?

Intellivision partially survived the crash of 1984 but for sure is now definitively dead. And for oldest and youngest systems like 2600 or Colecovision ( or even Vectrex and Odissey3, 7800, just to mention others of same era ) have new games each year.

Where are the Blue Angels ? still alive or definitively angels ?

where are homebrewers ?

all websites conc. Intellivision are also no more updated.

ok, ok, stop annoying you, continue crying alone...sigh

I am actively working on finishing up Christmas Carol, which I expect to release on cartridge later this year. I am also story-boarding my next game concept, which I am very excited about, and I hope to release late next year. I didn't want to bother anybody by constantly announcing my progress, until I actually had an idea of a release date in mind.

I recently joined the Intellivision home-brew community, but I'm in it for the long run. I plan to release at least one original game each year. There are also other programmers working on new games right now, at various stages of completion.

Please understand that this is just a hobby. I won't pretend to speak for everyone, but at least I am very passionate about the Intellivision, and making games was a dream I had since I was a child. The problem is that, in a nutshell, making a game is hard. It's very hard. It takes time to come up with ideas, and a heck of a lot of effort to make anything work nicely on such a primitive platform. Especially so for us novices that do not have a background in game programming.

This problem is compounded when you have a day job and a family, and have to juggle your time between them, your hobby, and any other interests. Passion alone is not enough.

It's not a matter of working for free or not making enough money out of games--it's a matter of having competing responsibilities that affect the time you have to work on any project, whether it's making a game, watching a movie with your wife, or fixing the kitchen sink. We all want to make great games and share them with the community, I can assure you of that.

So, please, I beg your and everyone's understanding. Some of us are working really hard to make not just any amateur "home-brewed" game, but polished, professional quality games; worthy of being part of the catalogue of such a memorable platform as the Intellivision.

Regards,

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Max, I'd suggest that rather than being dead, 2011 will be a very memorable year for the INTV, maybe the best in a a long time. Including DZ-Jay and GroovyBee, I'm aware of at least five in-progress games at various stages of development. I'd be surprised if we didn't see at least three games and maybe more....

DZ and GroovyBee, I believe it goes without saying that we INTV fans are very excited about the work you're doing on our favorite platform and look forward to supporting your efforts! :)

Hi all, I posted a new topic in a different forum to invite all Intellivision programmers to share the projects they are currently working on. The idea is to let the community know that Intellivision home-brew development is still alive and kicking.

-dZ.

• 4 weeks later...

I expect the INTV to shine in 2011, just from some folks I've heard and their labors of love (from Christmas Past, to AC's work and many others)... This may be a forshadowing, but I'm looking at getting some homebrews in the HSC this year, go there to see the INTV alive while you let these fine folks finish their labors of love :)

I expect the INTV to shine in 2011, just from some folks I've heard and their labors of love (from Christmas Past, to AC's work and many others)... This may be a forshadowing, but I'm looking at getting some homebrews in the HSC this year, go there to see the INTV alive while you let these fine folks finish their labors of love :)

Ooooh, Space Patrol!