IGNORED

Importing a Vectrex into the US

Midnight Synergy

Hi there,

I'm thinking of "importing" a friend's french Vectrex to North America. Other than using a step-up voltage converter, is there anything else I need to be aware of? I assume there is no region incompatability between European and US game releases, is there? (given that the monitor is neither NTSC nor PAL). So I'm thinking that all I need is the plug converter and I should be good to go, does that sound right?

Thanks,

Patrick

Hi there,

I'm thinking of "importing" a friend's french Vectrex to North America. Other than using a step-up voltage converter, is there anything else I need to be aware of? I assume there is no region incompatability between European and US game releases, is there? (given that the monitor is neither NTSC nor PAL). So I'm thinking that all I need is the plug converter and I should be good to go, does that sound right?

Thanks,

Patrick

It does sound right. My understanding is that all of the games will work on all of the consoles. Would it really be that much cheaper to ship it from France than to buy one domestically, though? I haven't ever shipped or received anything that large from overseas; just small stuff...

I can't imagine that the cost to import something as heavy and bulky as a Vectrex would make much sense and do you really want to use a step up transformer to supply 220v to play such a thing? Unless you already happen to have a high-end and stable power supply, I'd be worried about damaging the Vectrex. Nevermind... the Vec will end up smashed in transit from France anyway, making this whole thread moot. ;) :lol:

I can't imagine that the cost to import something as heavy and bulky as a Vectrex would make much sense and do you really want to use a step up transformer to supply 220v to play such a thing? Unless you already happen to have a high-end and stable power supply, I'd be worried about damaging the Vectrex. Nevermind... the Vec will end up smashed in transit from France anyway, making this whole thread moot. ;) :lol:

So you think a basic step-up converter might not give the Vectrex a stable power supply? That would definitely dampen my enthusiasm.

As for shipping - I don't know if it makes any difference between shipping from France or shipping from the US... I'll be nervous in either way about it getting damaged in shipping. All you need is one careless postal worker - crunch. :( But I just haven't found them locally, been looking for several years.

So you think a basic step-up converter might not give the Vectrex a stable power supply? That would definitely dampen my enthusiasm.

Well, you're looking at $100 for a "good" transformer (which negates the cost of a domestic 110v Vectrex right there), plus you'd have this big honkin' thing on the floor or sitting next to your Vectrex. Good step up transformers are large you know, probably heavier and bulkier than the Vec itself. And yeah, I'd still be learly using one with a CRT product. Something not so rare or power hungry - maybe. If you can justify the cost of the transformer and shipping from France - go for it! Just doesn't seem like the most econmical transaction to me is all icon_smile.gif

Edited by save2600

• 8 years later...

I do see this is an old thread, but perhaps additional information can be provided by more knowledgeable members. It's nearly a decade later and there are many new step up converters since the original post.

I recently acquired a PAL Vectrex and of course the last thing I want to do is fry the system or damage it in any way (especially if I play long term).

Can anyone recommend a good step up converter? Right now I've been browsing Amazon and found the following: https://www.amazon.com/LiteFuze-LC-500US-500Watt-Voltage-Converter/dp/B00O5FMNBA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

It is $38.39. It seems like it would be a suitable purchase. However, I am not very knowledgeable with electronics. Would it be suffice in regard to amps/watts/volts? Are more expensive units better?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much!

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck. I don't have much confidence shipping a Vectrex across country let alone across the World. I've had them shipped to me, including a Bandai unit but the sellers were extremely careful. It was a box within a box and a ton of padded mailers between the unit and the box and the inner box and the outer box.

post-36007-0-33935100-1560159797_thumb.jpg