IGNORED

Quick update on 7800 Exp Module...

Curt Vendel

Hi,

Here is the latest update:

1. Was informed last night that the first 300 pcs of plastics are not shipping on Monday and are being run on Tues and Wed, so with Thanksgiving coming, they won't ship until next Monday the 29th...

2. Nameplates are STILL not done yet, still awaiting their arrival from North Carolina.

3. Couldn't source the original all plastic 5200 control port plugs in decent quantities/pricing, so going with standard metal hooded versions instead and need to make an adjust to PC boards.

4. Looks like I'll have enough SIO ports to come in for the project between Best and Steve Tucker, so we are good on those.

5. Box sleeve graphics almost done, submitting those to the printer out in CA. Monday so should have those back in a week to 10 days at most.

6. Cartridge guides are making me VERY nervous at this point, I haven't even received a test sample yet from the guys in Indiana, need to make sure they are done correctly, so that's got me a bit nervous.

7. Working out some final details with Mark & Eduardo on the Yamaha chip implementation, plus channeling it into the Ext Audio line of the 7800...

8. Need to lock down final PC board layouts for the test runs by end of this coming week...

So... Looks like we are heading more towards a Dec 10th release at this point with some of the delays, the 60 day schedule was rather aggressive but overall the project is moving very well with just a few tense issues to get resolved one way or another...

Here are some shots of the sign-off plastic set I got on Thursday....

Curt

post-23-129028365934_thumb.jpg

post-23-129028367226_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Sorry about making a big deal about that. I just don't remember seeing that cart before. The game sure but not the cart.

You mean the Pac-Man cart? Yes, they are pretty rare as there weren't many made before Pac-Man Collection made it obsolete.

Mitch

Hum, if it ship 10 December I guess I won't receive it in Canada before I go on Christmas vacation :S

Is it possible to upgrade to a faster shipping service than USPS?

I ask cause Canada post (Who handle USPS stuff) only hold package for 7 day before returning them. (I lost many package before while I was on vacation because of this :@)

• 2 weeks later...

'now I need to go buy a 7800'! :P I joke but it's true.

However in all seriousness we're all behind you! Although I can only speak for myself, I think that alot of us in this boat (i.e. ordered an XM without even having a 7800....yet) are looking to support a good thing in whatever way we can. Although I do have nosalgia for the 7800 (my 2nd console ever as a kid and really the 1st one purchased with my own money) it really comes more down to the fact that I think all this development surrounding the platform in general is such an exciting thing. I want to be a part of that, even if in a small way!

Its so weird, how many people who I've seen say they've purchased an Expansion Module to only say afterwards "now I need to go buy a 7800..."

Talk about a loyal following for a new product! :-)

Wow, looks awesome! :)

I actually bought a 7800 just for this-- although it was a second, pre-modded system. ;) My original 7800 is in decent shape, it's as good as it looked the day I bought it in 1996 (although it had seen better days prior!) the power switch can be a bit wonky, but I wanted a modded system and didn't want to send mine off and risk anything happening to it. So I got another off Ebay. It's in slightly worse shape but it works and the mod works fine.. hopefully the XM will see sitting on top of these slightly beat up machines as being the crown jewel. ;)

Mouser and Digikey sell a push button you can use to replace your sticking/failing 7800 power/select/pause/reset buttons, its got a small tab on top of it, but a quick snip with a pair of wire cutters and it works perfectly, they have failed on a few of my 7800's and I replacement them, I was actually using Atari STM-1 mouse buttons as they are the same component, again just needed to be snipped and it was ready to use.

Curt

Wow, looks awesome! :)

I actually bought a 7800 just for this-- although it was a second, pre-modded system. ;) My original 7800 is in decent shape, it's as good as it looked the day I bought it in 1996 (although it had seen better days prior!) the power switch can be a bit wonky, but I wanted a modded system and didn't want to send mine off and risk anything happening to it. So I got another off Ebay. It's in slightly worse shape but it works and the mod works fine.. hopefully the XM will see sitting on top of these slightly beat up machines as being the crown jewel. ;)

Mouser and Digikey sell a push button you can use to replace your sticking/failing 7800 power/select/pause/reset buttons

Would you mind posting a Mouser part #? I know they're great to buy from and I'm in need of one of those buttons.

Here's a thread with details on the switches and a part number.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/161057-7800-power-switch-replacement/page__fromsearch__1

Mouser and Digikey sell a push button you can use to replace your sticking/failing 7800 power/select/pause/reset buttons

Would you mind posting a Mouser part #? I know they're great to buy from and I'm in need of one of those buttons.

Here's a thread with details on the switches.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/161057-7800-power-switch-replacement/page__fromsearch__1

Mouser part # is 612-TL1100B

I am confused, this isn't well explained at all...Can this play 2600, 7800 AND 5200 games? Is this Atari 7800 Pac Man a real homebrew game you made that only works on this? Can I buy this separately, or is it a pack-in for the Expansion Module?

The 7800 natively plays all 7800 console games as well as almost all (there are a few exceptions, that are open to debate depending on the particular 7800 revision) 2600 console games. This add-on module doesn't change this, but ,in addition, adds extra features like the ability to retain high-scores, plus special memory-mapping architecture that can take some burden off of the main processor, freeing it up for use of certain programming "tricks" that might have been too processor intensive before, allowing them to be used in games more readily without the system running out of usable processing power.

The 5200 console and it's games are based on a completely different architecture and unfortunately, because of this, can't be played on the 7800.