IGNORED

Super FX vs Genesis Addons

Tr3vor

while final fantasy vii itself wasnt as ubiquitous as sonic the hedgehog or super mario bros, its release was the watershed moment for the psx. within a year of its release the install base went from 5 million to 15 million, and the software explosion soon followed. you wouldnt have purchased a psx in 95, 96, or early 97 thinking the system had something for everyone. that only happened once it was dominating the industry.

absolute crap.

Everyone I knew had a PSX long before FFVII came out.

You're just a jaded Nintendo RPG lover. Most gamers, in fact, most people who own consoles aren't that into RPGs at all. FPS and Sports games sell consoles.

This is all sounding like fanboi revisionist history here.

i posted sales numbers from a playstation fan/history site that shows the PSX sales numbers triple after 1997. read the numbers again. if all your friends had playstations in 1996, you obviously lived in a nice neighborhood where 299 (1996) dollars was no big thing to spend on a video game system. congrats

I think there's some truth to both of what you two are saying. Again, I'd say that unlike most systems, PSX never had a single killer app, it had more of a "something for everyone" approach.

i posted sales numbers from a playstation fan/history site that shows the PSX sales numbers triple after 1997. read the numbers again. if all your friends had playstations in 1996, you obviously lived in a nice neighborhood where 299 (1996) dollars was no big thing to spend on a video game system. congrats

Problem is, there is no way to prove that those numbers are a correlation. The PSX was already gaining massive momentum both with developers (as I stated earlier) and consumers. There were already many reasons to buy a PSX before FFVII was released.

I went through the sales numbers posted at www.playstationmuseum.com. Even with an obvious focus/bias on the PSX, their numbers show that the PSX sold far more than 5M before FFVII was released. The consumer trend and preference for the PSX was already established.

FFVII may have added sales, but there is no way to legitimately prove that it was the leading factor in sales growth. There were many hyped and popular games that came out around the same time.

I would suggest that FFVII was part of a synergy that included many great game releases, effective marketing, gaming content that included older customers, and console price drops that combined together. FFVII was not singlehandedly responsible, nor could it have been -- it was only one factor in a "perfect storm" of the PSX's success.

Problem is, there is no way to prove that those numbers are a correlation. The PSX was already gaining massive momentum both with developers (as I stated earlier) and consumers. There were already many reasons to buy a PSX before FFVII was released.

I went through the sales numbers posted at www.playstationmuseum.com. Even with an obvious focus/bias on the PSX, their numbers show that the PSX sold far more than 5M before FFVII was released. The consumer trend and preference for the PSX was already established.

FFVII may have added sales, but there is no way to legitimately prove that it was the leading factor in sales growth. There were many hyped and popular games that came out around the same time.

I would suggest that FFVII was part of a synergy that included many great game releases, effective marketing, gaming content that included older customers, and console price drops that combined together. FFVII was not singlehandedly responsible, nor could it have been -- it was only one factor in a "perfect storm" of the PSX's success.

my point with those sales numbers were that in mid 1997, there were 5 million playstations sold in north america, a nice lead, but not yet world beating... within a year a half that number tripled

games are the major force and foundation behind console sales. marketing and price points are complimentary factors. a console with great marketing and a low price will stink up the joint if there are no 'big bang' app type games. when the Saturn, N64, Dreamcast or Gamecube lowered their prices, they did not experience a tripling of sales.

FFVII, more than any other title released in 1997, is the best candidate for the playstation's 'big bang' app. Sadly, there are no north american specific total sales numbers. The only stats i can find are that the game sold 1 million copies within three months of its release (meaning there was roughly 1 in 8 playstation owners had a copy of the game by the end of 1997), and that worldwide it was the second biggest selling playstation game behind gran turismo (an unfair number, as likely more than 5 million were sold in japan). i wish i had better numbers to work with, but there isnt any other title that came out for the PSX that year...the year the psx went into the stratosphere.. that put more playstations in homes than FFVII. It wasn't Intelligent Qube, it wasn't parrapa the rapper, it wasnt NFL Gameday.

Sorry for the unclearness of my question, I was in a hurry and had this idea and just slapped it together,

From what I've seen on the 32x I would say that the super fx 2 makes better looking games imo.

I meant to say, which is a better idea, putting the supporting chips in the carts, or making addons, and what was more cost efficient in the long run.

Dude graphically speaking Doom on the 32X blows the SNES SFX2 chip out of the water, into the air and then into dust. Doom on the SNES has no textures on the floors or roof, it's a lower resolution and it runs at a horrible frame rate. The 32X version has full textures on the floors and roof, it's a higher resolution and it runs at a decent speed.

snes_vs_sega___doom___by_elias1986-d2ywh7l.jpg

But as for addons in the cart yeah Sega had the SVP chip in Virtua Racing on the Genesis and it was pretty impressive. It had a higher polygon count and much faster speed than Star Fox that's for sure. But it certainly couldn't touch the SFX2 chip.

Edited by MN12BIRD
  • Like 1

Your first mistake was quoting Sam Pettus.

Your second mistake was quoting Sam Pettus.

And finally, your third mistake was quoting Sam Pettus. ;) Seriously, why do people still quote Sam Pettus?

Also, the N64 ram pack can be hardly considered 'addon'.

i dont think his inaccuracies make my general point untrue

there was only one SVP game, 99 dollar cartridges were doomed to flop

what became the 32x was an expansion solution that gave a stock genesis the ability to play 3D games and keep software costs down... of course it flopped too

is any of this inaccurate or untrue?