IGNORED

Any recommended PSN downloadable games?

Cynicaster

WTF are you talking about? PSN has a metric shit ton of free demos available for download.

But generally speaking, there aren't demos for the downloadable games. Some of them have streaming videos so that you can tell what they are, but many are just a title with no demo, no picture, no idea whether they're worth checking out.

For example, X-Men Arcade didn't have a demo when it was put up the other day. For the longest time Super Stardust HD didn't have a demo (I remember buying it purely based on videos). I know whenever I check out the downloadable games, I find myself having to look elsewhere to get any kind of idea of what the game is about, because there aren't even any screenshots. It's crummy because some of these games are on X-Box Live Arcade and they DO have demos over there but not on PSN.

It wasn't my intention to open up the old "free service vs. pay service" debate so I'm not going to comment on that.

I was just lamenting the fact that I wish PSN was a little more like XboxLive, in that XBL puts a demo online of every game that is available for purchase, while demo's of downloadable games on PSN are infrequent and you're lucky if you get one.

If PSN wants me to buy, then put up a demo of Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Dead Nation, Marvel Pinball, Xmen Arcade, Spelunker HD, and a few others.

And Bilnick, to answer your question, Silver memberships on XBL can download any demo's and purchase any games.

Mendon

WTF are you talking about? PSN has a metric shit ton of free demos available for download.

But generally speaking, there aren't demos for the downloadable games. Some of them have streaming videos so that you can tell what they are, but many are just a title with no demo, no picture, no idea whether they're worth checking out.

No, every single demo on the PSN is a fully playable demo.

The videos are in the videos section. Totally separate.

I definitely appreciate the fact that I don't have to pull out my wallet every month to pay a subscription fee for the PSN service.

At the same time, I definitely get miffed when I'm curious about a game and there is no demo. It just confuses the hell out of me that the publishers would not provide demos for every one of their games.

Honestly, if a game has no demo available, then I immediately get suspicious. The message that sends to me is that the game company is not confident that their product is of sufficient quality to "reel you in" by means of a small taste of the gameplay, and that they hope to make their money off the impulse buyers that jump in blind.

I'm sure there's more to the business side of it than I understand, but if your product is actually good, then it seems to me that playable demos would be one of the most powerful marketing tools out there. They open up the possibility that a gamer will buy a game that they otherwise would have taken one look at and dismissed as "not their thing" or whatever. Sometimes, you can surprise yourself with what games you end up enjoying, and you only know if you play them. Perfect example for me is Pac-Man Championship Edition DX... my inclination was to look at that and say "yay, another hollow Pac-Man cash grab from Namco, yawn". But since it had a free demo, I checked it out just for the hell of it, and ended up absolutely loving it (and paying for it).

Edited by Cynicaster

No, every single demo on the PSN is a fully playable demo.

I've read this line several times, and the only way I can read it as anything other than a complete non-sequitor is if you interpreted my above statement as meaning not all PSN demos are playable. That was not what I was saying.

I was saying that not all for-pay downloadable games offerred in the Playstation Store have a free demo version to try out.

The videos are in the videos section. Totally separate.

When you pull some games up for further details, they have a button on the bottom labeled "Preview." By clicking this you can view a streaming video trailer of the game without having to go to the Video section. However, not all games offer this option.

I definitely appreciate the fact that I don't have to pull out my wallet every month to pay a subscription fee for the PSN service.

At the same time, I definitely get miffed when I'm curious about a game and there is no demo. It just confuses the hell out of me that the publishers would not provide demos for every one of their games.

Demos cost money to produce. and lots of people do nothing but download demos, and rarely buy games.

For the most part, the Demos available on PSN are for most of your "must buy" popular games they are really pushing hard, and the stuff that doesn't have demos are all the rehashed PS1 classics, or minigames, or ports of already existing retro games like X-Men Arcade. If you don't know X-Men plays like, get mame and the rom for it. I have a hard time thinking anyone who is really into classic gaming doesn't know EXACTLY what this game plays like. The one on PSN will be identical, but with more/better features.

Demos cost money to produce. and lots of people do nothing but download demos, and rarely buy games.

I guess Microsoft is amazing then since every single XBLA title has a demo even though they cost money and every single one of them can be downloaded without paying Microsoft any money for a Gold account.

That was not what I was saying.

The problem is I don't think he understands what you (or anyone that's complaining) are saying.

It seems like his argument is it's fine that not every PS3 arcade game has a playable demo because HE thinks it's fine and as such you should think that way too. His lame attempts (demo's cost money, demo's are only needed for popular big name games etc...) to convince you to see it his way is proof he doesn't get it. ;)

That said....

Favorite PSN down loadable games:

Everyday Shooter (Glad to see you picked this one up Cynicaster, really sweet game, even 6 months from now you'll be loading it up)

Pixeljunk Monsters

Trine

Pain and check out Noby Noby Boy if you are a fan of Katamari games. It's pretty strange so hopefully there is a demo for it.

• Like 1

I do get it though. My opinion is that I don't need a free demo of a game that costs $5.99 from PSN. I just buy it if I think it looks interesting, and if it is, then great. And if it's not so great, then who really gives a fuck about $5.99? The beauty of which is that I'm not paying a monthly fee for content.

Edited by Underball

Post an opinion of some PSN demos or go away.

This thread isn't about demo's It's about PSN games and as far as posting an opinion about those....

Already done bro. (Big hint... look 3 post up)

Underball, just a word of advice. Read threads at least once BEFORE you post. You wont come off as such a tool if you do I'll bet.

Just sayin. ;)

• Like 1

Demos cost money to produce. and lots of people do nothingng but download demos, and rarely buy games.

I'm sure they cost money, but if they're essentially just de-featured versions of the final product, then I would think the vast majority of the work is already done.

I'm also sure there are demo-whores out there but geeze, they must be easily amused if they can get their gaming fix from playing demos only. Assuming a game is actually good, then playing the demo, to me, is almost like taking a bite of a nice juicy steak, chewing it partially, and not being permitted to swallow it. (cue crude joke)

For the most part, the Demos available on PSN are for most of your "must buy" popular games they are really pushing hard, and the stuff that doesn't have demos are all the rehashed PS1 classics, or minigames, or ports of already existing retro games like X-Men Arcade. If you don't know X-Men plays like, get mame and the rom for it. I have a hard time thinking anyone who is really into classic gaming doesn't know EXACTLY what this game plays like. The one on PSN will be identical, but with more/better features.

Of course the "big dollar titles" are often given demos, but other than that, I think you're over-generalizing. And of course I'm personally familiar with X-Men, having played it tons in the arcades. Still, I'm not sure what your comment about what "classic gamers"--a niche demographic in the big picture--should know about a specific retro title has to do with my general question about the non-availability of demos for so many games.

My point was only that there ARE tons of demos available on the PSN. Hundreds at any given time Sure, not every game in existence for the PS3 has a free demo.

And at least one person here complained about X-men not having a demo.

I just find it really difficult to believe that anyone posting on an Atari themed board wouldn't know exactly what that game was all about, nor would they really need a demo of it. It's X-Men, fer chrissakes.

Edited by Underball

I guess Microsoft is amazing then since every single XBLA title has a demo even though they cost money and every single one of them can be downloaded without paying Microsoft any money for a Gold account.

Quality, not quantity.

for refernces see: Post 1983 Atari 2600. Post 1988 NES. Free demos of Shovelware.

Edited by Underball

Quality, not quantity.

What exactly is your point? You did go back and read the thread didn't you? I'm guessing not since now you are going on about demo's for every game ever released for the PS3 which...again, is not what the thread is about. If you'd even just read the title you should be able to figure it out. Regardless of the quality, regardless of the quantity......

EVERY SINGLE LIVE ARCADE GAME HAS A DEMO AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY MS A DIME TO DOWNLOAD AND TRY ANY OF THEM AND THAT IS NOT THE CASE ON THE ARCADE GAMES AVAILABLE ON PSN AND SOME PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THAT.

Can't you just accept fact?

Seriously dude, you just bored or something?

• Like 1

I just find it really difficult to believe that anyone posting on an Atari themed board wouldn't know exactly what that game was all about, nor would they really need a demo of it. It's X-Men, fer chrissakes.

This is one of the stupidest things I've read here in a long time. Just because the original source material is well-known and well-respected doesn't mean the port is going to be fantastic. For instance, using X-Men as an example, some people may be deterred because of how the screen is poorly stretched in the four-player cabinet mode. Having a demo available would let them know whatever flaws comes along with the package prior to buying it. Another example in the same vein is the case of players that still use standard definition television sets--They may want to know if a game forces wide-screen on them. This usually means a good portion of the screen is covered with black bars and most of the text is unreadable. Again, it's things like this that can make or break a sale, and without a demo to try-before-you-buy, people are more likely to feel they've been burned, particularly when they can't sell their game off to some store or someone else afterward.

Can't you just accept that without getting angry andyelling about it?

Oh I wasn't angry or yelling friend (What would Santa think??)

No sir I was helping you out. Since you obviously won't read the thread I summed it up for you in an easy to read sentence that stood out from the rest in the hopes you'd stop the lameness.

Should have known it wouldn't work. I suspect you have alternative motives for keeping on.

Can't you just accept that without getting angry andyelling about it?

Oh I wasn't angry or yelling friend (What would Santa think??)

No sir I was helping you out. Since you obviously won't read the thread I summed it up for you in an easy to read sentence that stood out from the rest in the hopes you'd stop the lameness.

Should have known it wouldn't work. I suspect you have alternative motives for keeping on.

paranoid much?

I'll give you a hint: I don't really listen to you. Don't have to. You're not really worth listening to, because all you want to do is attack me.

Just like you said earlier, your opinion and $.25 won't get you a pack of gum any quicker than mine will.

Thing is, I'm not internet yelling at people, insulting you, nor am I really pissed off that I can't get a free sample of everything on PSN like you are. I hope you enjoy your angry Christmas.

I think the two policies can be fairly summarized like this:

The XBox Live Marketplace policy is more consumer-friendly. All prospective buyers have the assurance that every downloadable game can be sampled for free before purchase.

The PlayStation Store policy is more developer-friendly. There is no requirement to spend the resources to create a demo, an undertaking which may not recoup its costs. The percentage of consumers who absolutely refuse purchase if no demo is available is probably not that large, and catering to this segment of the population may not be financially productive for a firm that's not rolling in the dough. Often, consumers ask why x game released a demo some time after the game actually released. The reason for this is probably that the funds to produce the demo came from profits generated by the sale of the game, pre-demo. The firm decided they had made enough back to cover the cost of making a demo, which itself would also serve as post-release advertising to help the game regain some consumer mindshare.

One may ask, "Isn't a demo really cheap to make? Just take a level out of the main game, slap a standalone interface on it, and voila!" I'm not a game developer myself, but I have heard developers talk about making demos as not being as simple (i.e., cheap) as that. As a company, you have to decide whether that expenditure is justifiable.

In a perfect world: both XBLA and PSN have demos for all games because all developers use a free process that takes your game code and automatically creates a demo out of it for you.

onmode-ky

• Like 1

This was about good PSN games at some point right? ;) Well the 3 PSN games I've been playing a lot as of late are X-Men, Pac Championship DX, and Zen pinball. critter crunch is quite fun too if you're into puzzle games.

Best Minis for me are Fieldrunners, Age of Zombies and Young Thor

Games I want to pick up on the PSN: Shank, Everyday Shooter, and Deathspank.

Don't touch with a ten foot pole award goes to Dead Space: Ignition.