IGNORED

Aquarius Bitmap Graphics Tool

chjmartin2

I'm still having trouble converting images with the correct colour in using Gimp, what I have found that if I add a colour bar with all the correct colours to the bottom of the image before conversion it gives the correct colour output.

This is an image taken from the Map of an old ZX Spectrum game Android 2 AndroidTwo.bmp and the result of the conversion

AndroidTwoconv.bmp

Details on the game and snapshots can be found at: Android Two

This was the first game I bought for the Commodore 64 which I shared with my Brother. With a little bit of substitution of Graphic Characters and enough RAM games like this I believe would be doable on the Aquarius.

It's worth noting how the text portion of the image was converted from the Spectrum text correctly, I manually edited the value of the "N" to confirm my understanding of how the graphics are been laid out on the Aquarius screen.

Barnie

Note: How do I get images to appear in-line correctly here without having the host the images externally?

Edited by barnieg

Looking forward to the latest version with color freedom. ;)

Before:

free-kids-coloring-pages-105.jpg

After:

Nice website!! (Need to use it tonight with my nieces and nephews.)

Anyway - I have the converter working great except that for some reason the image is shifting one pixel to the right. I know that sounds like all I have to do is add a +1 or -1 somewhere, but I tried the random "try this one" last night a few times and I couldn't get it right - so... I have to go through each x and y coordinate reference and make sure they are consistent.

BUT - the exciting news is that I will release the new converter tonight!

I'm not an Aquarius fan (Commodore and Intellivision mostly), but I really like this project! Have you considered "opening it up" for custom settings? I could see it being valuable for ASCII-like art on a variety of 8-bit systems... if one could specify a resolution, palette, cell size, and a BMP of the character set. This could apply to C64 PETSCII, Intellivision "card" graphics, Aquarius, Atari, etc. Just a thought! :-)

I'm not an Aquarius fan (Commodore and Intellivision mostly), but I really like this project! Have you considered "opening it up" for custom settings? I could see it being valuable for ASCII-like art on a variety of 8-bit systems... if one could specify a resolution, palette, cell size, and a BMP of the character set. This could apply to C64 PETSCII, Intellivision "card" graphics, Aquarius, Atari, etc. Just a thought! :-)

That is a cool idea. I want to finish this one up with additional features. One is to allow any number of colors for a 320x192 BMP (almost done) and the next is to display the character set and allow them to be switched on and off for the conversion - this way you could limit odd characters. After that I want to write a similar program for the original TRS-80 Color Computer. (It had those semi-graphics characters that I'd like to take a shot at.) I'd also like to look at trying to tweak the aquarius graphics modes - but that is a more daunting task.

(And when Jay releases the SuperFont and Multicart work - I'd imagine you could have a fair bit of fun with custom character sets.)

Ok folks... Here is Version 3 of the Aquariatizer... You can use any BMP of any color depth as long as it is 320x192. Also, during conversion it will show the proper aquarius colors. I sped it up a bit and optimized the screen size. I also got rid of the console window.

Let's see some ART WORK!!!

BMPAQV3.zip

I've been having a great time with the new software. Thanks!

I've been rehashing many of my old pics, but I'll only post one, here.

The 1st new pic I'm posting is the Aquarius rendition of the 7800's Commando title screen.

I'm going to try converting some other games' in-game screens, too, just for fun.

Here they are:

Before:

s_Commando_1.png

post-14532-129263483553_thumb.jpg

post-14532-129263484542_thumb.jpg

I've been playing around this morning.

For some reason, the attached file causes an error on the Aquarius, when the conversion program is run.

It also gives some strange color output before the crash. I'm not sure what I did to the pic to cause it. Attached it, in case you're curious.

7800BallBlazergame.bmp

I've been playing around this morning.

For some reason, the attached file causes an error on the Aquarius, when the conversion program is run.

It also gives some strange color output before the crash. I'm not sure what I did to the pic to cause it. Attached it, in case you're curious.

I can't recreate the error - I saved the file, ran the converter and it ran fine?