IGNORED

7800 HSC Season 3 Variety Pack Round 7

roadrunner

I don't have much to offer. I can say that it is much better to avoid the 'smiley mouth things that eat you' at all costs than it is to go for the point-bearing objects around them. They immediately terminate your game, and they don't show up until you've already spent time racking up points (after the first version of the first level). Not worth wasting your efforts,

Other than that, getting the grey colored bonus objects seems to build points quickly.

Needless to say, I've never gone over the manual.

Man, the only one I own is Jinks. Anybody have any tips on making this mess of a game playable?

I think it helps not to play the same level more than once. But trying to get the ball to go the the level i want is a real pain.

Here's a link to the manual. :)

http://www.atariage.com/manual_thumbs.html?SoftwareLabelID=695

Xmas time isn't working on my emulator. I'm using Prosystem. Is there anything I need to do differently than for other games?

Runs fine on Prosystem for me - maybe extract the zip folder and use the file directly? Once in awhile zip folders / files don't work for me in Prosystem until I extract.

Xmas time isn't working on my emulator. I'm using Prosystem. Is there anything I need to do differently than for other games?

Runs fine on Prosystem for me - maybe extract the zip folder and use the file directly? Once in awhile zip folders / files don't work for me in Prosystem until I extract.

Xmas Time plays fine for me on MESS and Prosystem.

Here's the link to the thread i got the ROM from. Hope that helps. :)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/99232-merry-christmas-to-all-7800-users/

Exactly the problem. I was copying it from the opened file rather than extracting. Works fine now. Thanks!

I don't know how I will submit a RealSports baseball score. I just played a game part of the way through and very nearly spiked the system off my concrete floor. I honestly had to turn it off to make myself not break the system. I have said it before and I will say it again: This is the worst game Atari ever, ever made. There are weak arcade translations from the company (PacMan, Defender,etc), and there are rush jobs with minor tweaks still needed(eg. E.T.), and there are incomplete computer ports (Super Huey, Karateka 7800), etc. However, this is the only game of theirs I have ever played where you can see the entire company shrug and say "long as we sell some, why care about the kids who buy it?"

At least some of the people who were still there had learned 8 whole years earlier that bad baseball games could be easily mocked and could change people's opinions of your system. They had produced a better game on their previous system. There were dozens of better baseball games to copy by 1988, on the computer and on other consoles. Baseball has set rules, set strategies, and only requires one screen for a decent basebones simulation. And yet they still manage to release something that is this incredibly flawed. I have never played any game worse. That includes all boardgames, trivia games, and games of tag I ever played in real life, not just videogames. Any amount of play testing by any human being would have revealed that the single player game is unplayable. This game is so bad it is frankly insulting. I hate it. I am happy the company failed. I'm going to play some NES.

feeling your pain. it makes pete rose look so great in comparison. the action is so quick and jerky that stratedy is out and chance/luck is in. two player, it is playable but frustrating, playing against the computer is enraging. basically, just accept the fact that you will lose by a substantial margin, and then the game gets a little less frustrating, and who knows, luck may be on your side...

I don't know how I will submit a RealSports baseball score. I just played a game part of the way through and very nearly spiked the system off my concrete floor. I honestly had to turn it off to make myself not break the system. I have said it before and I will say it again: This is the worst game Atari ever, ever made. There are weak arcade translations from the company (PacMan, Defender,etc), and there are rush jobs with minor tweaks still needed(eg. E.T.), and there are incomplete computer ports (Super Huey, Karateka 7800), etc. However, this is the only game of theirs I have ever played where you can see the entire company shrug and say "long as we sell some, why care about the kids who buy it?"

At least some of the people who were still there had learned 8 whole years earlier that bad baseball games could be easily mocked and could change people's opinions of your system. They had produced a better game on their previous system. There were dozens of better baseball games to copy by 1988, on the computer and on other consoles. Baseball has set rules, set strategies, and only requires one screen for a decent basebones simulation. And yet they still manage to release something that is this incredibly flawed. I have never played any game worse. That includes all boardgames, trivia games, and games of tag I ever played in real life, not just videogames. Any amount of play testing by any human being would have revealed that the single player game is unplayable. This game is so bad it is frankly insulting. I hate it. I am happy the company failed. I'm going to play some NES.

It's games like RS Baseball, Touchdown Football, and Karateka that make you wonder if Atari had people that play tested them before they were released.

My tips for RS Baseball - take the first pitch or 2. You can get walks against the computer.

For pitching, i just keep throwing the same pitch over and over.

Batter up first or second is up to the player.

It goes without saying the fewer times you have to get the computer out the better. :)

There has to be someone who can do good at this game...maybe the game programmer?

Edited by roadrunner

What really bugs me about it is picturing the people who got it back in the day. Imagine being a kid on Christmas morning who loves baseball in 1988 and you open this up. You'd be all excited and then, two hours later, you'd be throwing your controller. You'd think "well, maybe I'll figure it out. It's not that bad." You'd be lying to yourself and dreading turning it on again and finding out it really, really is that bad. Then you'd go over to visit your friend who has an NES. He loves baseball too, and, it being 1988, he got RBI baseball. I have to believe that would ruin your entire Christmas. Heck, if you went to visit your friend who got a 2600 Jr. and the original RealSports Baseball for Christmas you'd feel even worse.

It's sad that this thing probably sold okay, seeing how many copies there are out there. That was probably a lot of bad Christmas mornings and birthdays.

What really bugs me about it is picturing the people who got it back in the day. Imagine being a kid on Christmas morning who loves baseball in 1988 and you open this up. You'd be all excited and then, two hours later, you'd be throwing your controller. You'd think "well, maybe I'll figure it out. It's not that bad." You'd be lying to yourself and dreading turning it on again and finding out it really, really is that bad. Then you'd go over to visit your friend who has an NES. He loves baseball too, and, it being 1988, he got RBI baseball. I have to believe that would ruin your entire Christmas. Heck, if you went to visit your friend who got a 2600 Jr. and the original RealSports Baseball for Christmas you'd feel even worse.

It's sad that this thing probably sold okay, seeing how many copies there are out there. That was probably a lot of bad Christmas mornings and birthdays.

2 hours later? I've give it no more than half an hour. ;)

I also vote this game as unbelievably frustrating. I've yet to post a score because I've yet to complete a full game. I'm usually down 16-0 after 2 innings or so. The control is so damned non-intuitive. I can't throw a guy out who hits it straight in front of my 2nd baseman... but I get thrown out at first when I blast one into deep left.

Though, I will use those tips roadrunner - what pitch do you use?

Also, a silly Prosystem question - is there a way to save the file as a png or jpg instead of a bmp? Or do people save it as a bmp and then convert it with something? I don't like posting something that you can't see until you download it, it's silly.

(edited - answered one of my own dumb questions)

Edited by Curious Sofa

I also vote this game as unbelievably frustrating. I've yet to post a score because I've yet to complete a full game. I'm usually down 16-0 after 2 innings or so. The control is so damned non-intuitive. I can't throw a guy out who hits it straight in front of my 2nd baseman... but I get thrown out at first when I blast one into deep left.

Though, I will use those tips roadrunner - what pitch do you use?

Also, a silly Prosystem question - is there a way to save the file as a png or jpg instead of a bmp? Or do people save it as a bmp and then convert it with something? I don't like posting something that you can't see until you download it, it's silly.

(edited - answered one of my own dumb questions)

I aim the ball in the upper left corner. I throw a regular speed pitch. I hope that helps. :)

I aim the ball in the upper left corner. I throw a regular speed pitch. I hope that helps. :)

Apparently not :ponder:

Score: Me: 0 Cpu: 47

Couldn't save the pic, for some reason. I had one, count them, one hit the whole game.

And 11 errors. I tried the thing where you get a walk, got one or two, but the CPU started throwing literally a dozen strikes in a row. Most of which I could not put any wood on. :|

WaterSki: 101800

post-26714-12922102203_thumb.jpg

If only I had taken the time to learn to program. I think I could fix this game with one change: Automatic fielding. You could still have to throw the ball to the bases yourself once they were tracked down, if it wasn't an automatic out, but the computer would get you to the ball. Basically, you just get the computer's level of fielding to fair things up. Takes some of the fun out of a baseball game, but this game is already negative 100 on the fun scale, so moving it to +1 would be pretty good.

I used to have a laundry list of things I'd change about this one, but I think that would make it at least fair enough to play. I suppose slowing down the ball coming in from the outfield would be the other change worth making.