IGNORED

7800 HSC Season 3 Variety Pack Round 7

roadrunner

I aim the ball in the upper left corner. I throw a regular speed pitch. I hope that helps. :)

Apparently not :ponder:

Score: Me: 0 Cpu: 47

Couldn't save the pic, for some reason. I had one, count them, one hit the whole game.

And 11 errors. I tried the thing where you get a walk, got one or two, but the CPU started throwing literally a dozen strikes in a row. Most of which I could not put any wood on. :|

WaterSki: 101800

At least you got a hit. :)

I hit a home run against the computer 1 or 2 times before.

Just dumb luck i guess. I start my swing before the CPU even throws the ball.

I keep my finger down on the swing button and then release when the ball gets close, and hope for the best. :)

I like your signature btw. lol :)

Edited by roadrunner

'negative 100 on the fun scale' just about says it all. :|

I remember liking the 2600 version.

If only I had taken the time to learn to program. I think I could fix this game with one change: Automatic fielding. You could still have to throw the ball to the bases yourself once they were tracked down, if it wasn't an automatic out, but the computer would get you to the ball. Basically, you just get the computer's level of fielding to fair things up. Takes some of the fun out of a baseball game, but this game is already negative 100 on the fun scale, so moving it to +1 would be pretty good.

I used to have a laundry list of things I'd change about this one, but I think that would make it at least fair enough to play. I suppose slowing down the ball coming in from the outfield would be the other change worth making.

Edited by atomickneedrop

HeelWarts Facemaul score: -7 (lost by 7).

I talked to it as I put the game back in its box then back in the storage case. I said "I know it isn't your fault you suck. You can't help how you were programmed. But you do suck and I will never, ever play with you again. Go to Hell."

post-5952-129229343145_thumb.jpg

You know you stink at a baseball game when you _greatly_ improve your best effort by being beaten 21-0. Of course, you know you _really, really_ utterly blow at a baseball game that you are _ever_ defeated by 47-0. :P

To be fair, I don't see any picture there of any baseball game. RSBB is not a baseball game. It is a form of torture.

In an effort to figure this game out in a group, I will reveal my personal strategies. Perhaps between all of us, someone can play a good enough game to win. In all my explanation "up right" or "left" refers to joystick position.

I find the safest opening pitch is the one where you hold left. I use that one almost all the time. Once runners are in scoring position (especially with a guy on third) I find up right to work best. If you throw the up right pitch and the computer misses with what looks like a bunt, I have never had him make contact with that batter so long as the remaining pitches are also up right. Using this pitch I stranded all his runners when he had bases loaded with one out.

So basically my whole strategy is to throw the pitch you get from holding left until there are guys on second or third. Then I switch to up right. If it seems the computer is seeing through the one pitch, I switch to the other. That is all the pitches I throw, period. I haven't found anything else he doesn't almost always hit. I think the programmer's lame attempt at making the game have beatable AI was to make these two pitches the ones the computer occasionally missed.

For hitting I don't think there is anything worth doing.

Edited by Atarifever

You know you stink at a baseball game when you _greatly_ improve your best effort by being beaten 21-0. Of course, you know you _really, really_ utterly blow at a baseball game that you are _ever_ defeated by 47-0. :P

To be fair, I don't see any picture there of any baseball game. RSBB is not a baseball game. It is a form of torture.

In an effort to figure this game out in a group, I will reveal my personal strategies. Perhaps between all of us, someone can play a good enough game to win. In all my explanation "up right" or "left" refers to joystick position.

I find the safest opening pitch is the one where you hold left. I use that one almost all the time. Once runners are in scoring position (especially with a guy on third) I find up right to work best. If you throw the up right pitch and the computer misses with what looks like a bunt, I have never had him make contact with that batter so long as the remaining pitches are also up right. Using this pitch I stranded all his runners when he had bases loaded with one out.

So basically my whole strategy is to throw the pitch you get from holding left until there are guys on second or third. Then I switch to up right. If it seems the computer is seeing through the one pitch, I switch to the other. That is all the pitches I throw, period. I haven't found anything else he doesn't almost always hit. I think the programmer's lame attempt at making the game have beatable AI was to make these two pitches the ones the computer occasionally missed.

For hitting I don't think there is anything worth doing.

When my team's pitching, i get most of my outs by strikeouts. :)

And for hitting, just try to get a few walks and hopefully hit a HR. That has to be the only way to beat the computer. :ponder:

Lost by 1! Look at that scoreboard. I was out-hit a ton, but my pitcher got a new MLB record for Ks. Know the most amazing part? It was a ton of fun.

I think at least one of us will beat this thing before this ends. Here are the simple steps I use:

1) Throw holding left all the time until runners get on third. Once a runner is on third pitch with up right. I didn't vary this at all.

2) If you can, run the guy diown rather than throwing, as your guys have a tendancy to not be on the base where they should be unless the ball is in the outfield.

3) Never, ever swing until you have two strikes against you. I got two of my runs in a row by having him walk me with bases loaded after he had walked the bases full. My other run was a solo blast on a third strike swing.

That's it. That's the entire game. Don't vary it or get cute, because nothing will pay off in the long run. I had a guy on first he walked there in the top of the ninth. Had I connected with my last swing and hit a homer, I may have even won. It was actually fun and tense.

Also, the game will screw up your fielding by putting you in charge of three different players as the ball blows past. Try to ignore that. Basically I think they took care of this by making the computer never go for any extra bases, ever, so it kind of evens out. In field hits aren't too bad once you get used to running guys down and only tossing as a last resort.

post-5952-129237568966_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atarifever

Lost by 1! Look at that scoreboard. I was out-hit a ton, but my pitcher got a new MLB record for Ks. Know the most amazing part? It was a ton of fun.

I think at least one of us will beat this thing before this ends. Here are the simple steps I use:

1) Throw holding left all the time until runners get on third. Once a runner is on third pitch with up right. I didn't vary this at all.

2) If you can, run the guy diown rather than throwing, as your guys have a tendancy to not be on the base where they should be unless the ball is in the outfield.

3) Never, ever swing until you have two strikes against you. I got two of my runs in a row by having him walk me with bases loaded after he had walked the bases full. My other run was a solo blast on a third strike swing.

That's it. That's the entire game. Don't vary it or get cute, because nothing will pay off in the long run. I had a guy on first he walked there in the top of the ninth. Had I connected with my last swing and hit a homer, I may have even won. It was actually fun and tense.

Also, the game will screw up your fielding by putting you in charge of three different players as the ball blows past. Try to ignore that. Basically I think they took care of this by making the computer never go for any extra bases, ever, so it kind of evens out. In field hits aren't too bad once you get used to running guys down and only tossing as a last resort.

Great score! :thumbsup:

I thought you put this game back in the box and wasn't going to play it again. ;)

#2 is a good play tip. I also have the pitcher run after a batter instead of throwing to first.

Wow! you scored 3 runs in one game! 6 walks in 1 inning! That's great! I had 5 walks in 1 inning before but not 6.

You were tied a 3 in the 9th! Your not too far away from beating the CPU. I can feel it.

It looks like were the only two people enjoying this game. :)

I'm afraid that I don't have the patience, but someone must conquer this beast! it sounds like you're on the right track, maybe i'll give it another try with the tips.

Great score! :thumbsup:

I thought you put this game back in the box and wasn't going to play it again. ;)

#2 is a good play tip. I also have the pitcher run after a batter instead of throwing to first.

Wow! you scored 3 runs in one game! 6 walks in 1 inning! That's great! I had 5 walks in 1 inning before but not 6.

You were tied a 3 in the 9th! Your not too far away from beating the CPU. I can feel it.

It looks like were the only two people enjoying this game. :)

:) I wasn't going to play it again, but there is something wrong with me that keeps me from being able to just give up on a 7800 game. I mean, I can finish Super Huey, I have to be able to beat this.

I have the feeling if I got really good I could ignore rule #2 once in awhile, as the computer can get the ball away a lot quicker than me. It almost seems like I am holding the joystick and button when I should be just tapping those buttons quickly. It seems it takes my guys a lot longer to relase the ball than it takes the computer team. Maybe we need to be quicker.

And yeah, I am now having fun with this one. When I got the homerun to tie it back up I actually leaped out of my chair and fist pumped.

Edited by Atarifever

I'm afraid that I don't have the patience, but someone must conquer this beast! it sounds like you're on the right track, maybe i'll give it another try with the tips.

yeah, I was pretty close. I fooled up a couple times either trying to run a guy down I couldn't catch, or throwing when I should have run him down. Had I made the right choices, he would have been behind going into the 9th.

I also think I could save myself from some double plays if I got used to starting the runners. The computer doesn't punish you for trying, as he is pretty content to let you slowly wander back to your base rather than trying to tag you out. So there is really no risk and a good potential payoff.

I think if I could work on the timing of my hitting I could keep myself alive a little more often (we're talking once or twice extra a game, maybe) and, combined with his throwing balls and learning to lead off runners, I don't think it would be impossible to put 5 or 6 runs up there.

Then, if I could figure out what pitch he is weakest to with a runner on second (when he seems most likely to hit using my strategy) I think he could be beaten pretty handily. Here's hoping.

Edited by Atarifever

The Realsports News

End of an era?

If, earlier this season, you had never heard of most of the players on the Atariville Blues, you wouldn’t be alone. Only one player on the team (Ace Pitcherman, the team’s ace pitcher) has been in the Atari League more than two seasons. If you had heard of most of the players, it was likely when they were interviewed regarding new General Manager Atarifever’s press conference on his first day on the job.

When asked what his main goal was for his first season with the young club, he said simply “we’re going to beat the Atariland Reds.” Obviously, this was met largely with laughs. The Reds have been undefeated since their debut game in 1988. That a rookie GM and his young team could beat a team with a 22 year winning streak sounded silly.

During their first game (in a three game series) on December 13 in Atariland stadium, you would be forgiven for thinking the ridicule was well placed. The Blues lost by a miserable 7-0. They were outhit 21 to 2. When asked what went wrong Atarifever said “Everything.”

However, the sports world is now sitting up and taking notice. In a stunning turn of events game 2 last night almost saw the rookie Blues win. With the Reds thinking the game didn’t matter, they took the chance of putting in rookie pitcher Walkie “ball” McGie. Walkie walked home two runs for the Blues in the 2nd (the last inning he would pitch before being replaced by Okie “backup” Dokie). The damage being done, Ace Pitchman went to work. Striking out an amazing 21 batters, Ace kept the Blues within spitting distance, trailing by only 1 heading into the sixth.

In the sixth, Blue’s batter Pete “Clutch” Hitman scored a solo shot, tying the game at 3s.

In the ninth, the Blues got a man on early with a walk, but couldn’t move him as the Reds closer went to work.

However, Ace was looking to be in fine form, getting 5 strikes in a row to start the ninth. Unfortunately, his sixth pitch, perhaps catching a little too much of the plate, was demolished with a solo blast from the Red’s Goliath “the Giant” Monsterson.

Despite the loss by 1, this is the closest anyone has come to ending the Red's 22 year reign of perfection. When asked what he thought his team’s chances were going into game 3, Atarifever said “we’re going to play our game. Smart baseball. Patient baseball. And we’re going to win.”

In a risky move, it has been confirmed that Ace Pitchman will be pitching again tomorrow (December 16) in game 3. When asked how he felt about this, Ace said “We’re a rookie club. We know we aren’t making the Championships this year. This is our World Series.”

Edited by Atarifever
  • Like 2

The Realsports News

End of an era?

If, earlier this season, you had never heard of most of the players on the Atariville Blues, you wouldn’t be alone. Only one player on the team (Ace Pitcherman, the team’s ace pitcher) has been in the Atari League more than two seasons. If you had heard of most of the players, it was likely when they were interviewed regarding new General Manager Atarifever’s press conference on his first day on the job.

When asked what his main goal was for his first season with the young club, he said simply “we’re going to beat the Atariland Reds.” Obviously, this was met largely with laughs. The Reds have been undefeated since their debut game in 1988. That a rookie GM and his young team could beat a team with a 22 year winning streak sounded silly.

During their first game (in a three game series) on December 13 in Atariland stadium, you would be forgiven for thinking the ridicule was well placed. The Blues lost by a miserable 7-0. They were outhit 21 to 2. When asked what went wrong Atarifever said “Everything.”

However, the sports world is now sitting up and taking notice. In a stunning turn of events game 2 last night almost saw the rookie Blues win. With the Reds thinking the game didn’t matter, they took the chance of putting in rookie pitcher Walkie “ball” McGie. Walkie walked home two runs for the Blues in the 2nd (the last inning he would pitch before being replaced by Okie “backup” Dokie). The damage being done, Ace Pitchman went to work. Striking out an amazing 21 batters, Ace kept the Blues within spitting distance, trailing by only 1 heading into the sixth.

In the sixth, Blue’s batter Pete “Clutch” Hitman scored a solo shot, tying the game at 3s.

In the ninth, the Blues got a man on early with a walk, but couldn’t move him as the Reds closer went to work.

However, Ace was looking to be in fine form, getting 5 strikes in a row to start the ninth. Unfortunately, his sixth pitch, perhaps catching a little too much of the plate, was demolished with a solo blast from the Red’s Goliath “the Giant” Monsterson.

Despite the loss by 1, this is the closest anyone has come to ending the Red's 22 year reign of perfection. When asked what he thought his team’s chances were going into game 3, Atarifever said “we’re going to play our game. Smart baseball. Patient baseball. And we’re going to win.”

In a risky move, it has been confirmed that Ace Pitchman will be pitching again tomorrow (December 16) in game 3. When asked how he felt about this, Ace said “We’re a rookie club. We know we aren’t making the Championships this year. This is our World Series.”

That's a good read. :) :thumbsup: +1