IGNORED

New Sega Wii rip-off at Walgreens

Pete5125

Walgreens has a new system it has 40 or so sega games including sonic 1 and 2 plus it has an SD card so you can download games from a website and 2 wireless controllers plus it has the 20 sports games that came on the Wii rip-off that Walgreens has sold for the last 2 years its called Sega game station its $19.99 this week and just started coming in the stores last week $29.99 most other weeks.

Bought one as a Christmas present wondering if anyone has played it, guess I'll find out at Christmas

How do they fit so much bull crap in one $19.99 toy :lol:

"Others over on the SEGA-16 Forums have stronger opinions than mine – like this guy: “You can get more accurately emulated Genesis hardware by slotting an original cart between your ass cheeks, then sitting down quickly onto it and screaming ‘SEEEEEGGAAAA’”."

AX

• Like 10

The thing I'm wondering is why is Walgreens getting all this weird video game stuff? Wasn't it last year they had that 101 NES on a chip controller for cheap too? Are they working with some sort of underground market that the other retailers refuse to deal with?

At $20 though, I might be willing to ignore shoddy controls and poor sound emulation for, at the very least, a curiosity in video game clone history. Heck, I was suprised by the NES thing, maybe this motion Genesis thing (with an SD card slot to boot) could turn out to be the next PowerPlayer SuperJoy III.

How do they fit so much bull crap in one $19.99 toy :lol:

"Others over on the SEGA-16 Forums have stronger opinions than mine – like this guy: “You can get more accurately emulated Genesis hardware by slotting an original cart between your ass cheeks, then sitting down quickly onto it and screaming ‘SEEEEEGGAAAA’”."

AX

+1 for that quote.

Indeed, the GP2X Wiz has a fantastic Genesis emulator. Way better than anything Sega or anyone else has put out. It's near perfect (a few samples won't play correctly, but that is it). It even handles Sega CD emulation quite nice and the 32X was recently added (although it doesn't run very well yet).

• 1 month later...

The thing I'm wondering is why is Walgreens getting all this weird video game stuff? Wasn't it last year they had that 101 NES on a chip controller for cheap too? Are they working with some sort of underground market that the other retailers refuse to deal with?

In years past Rite Aid has had famiclones with "original" games built in and a famicom cartridge slot in their seasonal toy isle for the holidays. Not recently though. I bought one once out of curiousity and wound up returning it because the thing behaved like an NES with a a bad cartridge port even on the built in games!

I think most of the time when the big chains get this stuff, it is ordered along with other stuff months in advance and only with minimal communication with the vending companies and the corporate departmental ordering managers.

By the way, if you see something like this at one of these major chains and want to try it out but don't really want to get burned on a bad purchase, just find out what their return policy is before buying.

I've got the AtGames Genny clone from Walgreens - it's a decent little system for what it is. Forget any of the built-in titles, they suck. But throw in an SD card and it's a nice portable Genny. The controllers feel pretty good - they're not loose and sloppy - and wireless is a nice plus. Honestly the AtGames controllers feel better than most of my original 3rd party Genesis controllers. I haven't had *great* luck with the emulation, though. I'm batting about 60% even getting games running. I don't run emulation for game consoles very often, though, so maybe I just didn't have all the right .bins for some games. Regardless, having dozens of Genny games in the living room w/ decent wireless controllers made it worth the asking price for me. If you want super-accurate emulation, and colors or sound being slightly off is going to bug you, then skip it. If you occasionally want to play Thunderforce IV or Revenge of Shinobi or something, it's does the job. I've got a Genny + Sega CD if I want to play the real thing. I just don't want to haul it, it's wires and piles of carts into other rooms so this is a nice solution.

Edited by BydoEmpire

I think most of the time when the big chains get this stuff, it is ordered along with other stuff months in advance and only with minimal communication with the vending companies and the corporate departmental ordering managers.

By the way, if you see something like this at one of these major chains and want to try it out but don't really want to get burned on a bad purchase, just find out what their return policy is before buying.

I can only assume it's like ordering Chinese Take-Out..

Reg manager: Okay, big holiday season coming up. We need video game consoles to sell. You got something for me?

Mfgr in China: Yea, we have video game entertainment console.

Reg manager: Does it have wii-like sports titles?

Mfgr in China: Yes, it has sport games. All there.

Reg manager: Does it have Pancake Boy?

Mfgr in China: Yes, pancake boy. all there

Reg manager: Does it have Gears of War?

Mfgr in China: Yes, gears war, yes, it's all there

Reg manager: Does it have motion sensing?

Mfgr in China: Yes, motion sense. All there.

Reg manager: We'll take it!

• Like 3

I've got the AtGames Genny clone from Walgreens - it's a decent little system for what it is. Forget any of the built-in titles, they suck. But throw in an SD card and it's a nice portable Genny. The controllers feel pretty good - they're not loose and sloppy - and wireless is a nice plus. Honestly the AtGames controllers feel better than most of my original 3rd party Genesis controllers. I haven't had *great* luck with the emulation, though. I'm batting about 60% even getting games running. I don't run emulation for game consoles very often, though, so maybe I just didn't have all the right .bins for some games. Regardless, having dozens of Genny games in the living room w/ decent wireless controllers made it worth the asking price for me. If you want super-accurate emulation, and colors or sound being slightly off is going to bug you, then skip it. If you occasionally want to play Thunderforce IV or Revenge of Shinobi or something, it's does the job. I've got a Genny + Sega CD if I want to play the real thing. I just don't want to haul it, it's wires and piles of carts into other rooms so this is a nice solution.

If you get yourself a Sega Gopher, you can take the SD card and have your Genesis games on the go also. Its a very decently built handheld, and comes with the appropriate cords to hook it to the TV if you'd like. I got mine from Stone Age Gamer and I'm quite content with the purchase.

• 3 weeks later...

If you get yourself a Sega Gopher, you can take the SD card and have your Genesis games on the go also. Its a very decently built handheld, and comes with the appropriate cords to hook it to the TV if you'd like. I got mine from Stone Age Gamer and I'm quite content with the purchase.

I really like the Gopher, but I sure wish it could write savegames to the memory card.

• 1 month later...

I managed to get this thing at Walgreen's last night. It was $20 and has been 'lost' since before Christmas. Yes, the emulation sucks and the controllers look like sex toys. But it uses SD cards and to me that is its saving grace.

I made a video of it if you guys would liek to watch. Sorry for the quality, it was late when I shot it.

http://www.youtube.com/nathanallan1

I was able to do what I wanted, which was load homebrew roms. But I did make my own power supply for it, which is cool that I don't have to have EIGHT batteries every time I want to play it.

• Like 1

I managed to get this thing at Walgreen's last night. It was $20 and has been 'lost' since before Christmas. Yes, the emulation sucks and the controllers look like sex toys. But it uses SD cards and to me that is its saving grace.

I made a video of it if you guys would liek to watch. Sorry for the quality, it was late when I shot it.

http://www.youtube.com/nathanallan1

I was able to do what I wanted, which was load homebrew roms. But I did make my own power supply for it, which is cool that I don't have to have EIGHT batteries every time I want to play it.

Nice vid just the same. Thanks for taking the time to do it :thumbsup:

Their other version of the genny called the Firecore also looks pretty neat. Can play the actual carts instead of emulating rom files off of an SD card. So it's a trade-off between that and semi-decent emulation with an SD card. If the 30 built-in games aren't that great on the Firecore, then I'd go with the wii rip-off, because most Genesis games I play should be compatible with its emulator.

Edited by SEgamer

• 1 month later...

i just bought one of these at my local walgreens for $29.99

i already have an everdrive, so i really don't know what possessed me to get it. impulse/shock, perhaps.

could be a nice mini arcade cabinet hack if it weren't for the wireless controllers. gutting a genny3 might be a better route for that type of project.