IGNORED

Question about XBOX 360 Elite

PAC-MAN PRIME

Hey all,

I am recently becoming interested in getting an XBOX 360 and was wondering if the later versions of the Elite (say, the Splinter Cell bundle set) still has the red ring of death or any other problems that plagued earlier versions. I like the over all design of the original 360 over the newer "sleeker" version, but I'd really like to avoid all those problems most of the first models had.

Any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks!

You should be safe with the Splinter Cell bundle. While no console is completely free from having early issues, (Check YouTube for early occurances of Wii and PS3 failures) The Jasper 360's RRoD is just as rare. As far as I know those units will be covered for RRoD for 3 years even if you did have an issue. I've had six 360 and returned units about 8 times...none of the units I've returned were Jasper models.

Thanks for the input, guys.

I've read about the Jasper system in an Amazon review for the Elite Spring Bundle (with Forza 3 and Halo ODST). So the "Jasper" updated version is supposed to be mostly trouble-free? Is the Splinter Cell bundle with the Jasper update?

Thanks again for the help. :)

Semi related question, I have a 360 Elite. How can I tell if mine is the Jasper model?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/10/inside-an-xbox-360-jasper-ben-heck-dissects-the-mythical-consol/

About 3/4 of the way down Ben explains an easy way to spot a Jasper by looking at the sticker with the bar code.

Basically if you see a voltage rating of 12.1 amps it equals a Jasper unit.

I think all units manufactured after 2008 are Jasper including of couse the Splinter Cell bundle which was just released this year.

If it was the Jasper or the new 360 you would not really need to worry as much. the falcon and older designs is the ones you have to watch out about. but yeah they are all eventually going to die.

Semi related question, I have a 360 Elite. How can I tell if mine is the Jasper model?

look on the back of the 360 on the lower left of the sticker (right above where it says made in china)if it shows 12.1A 5V its a jasper, if it shows 14.2A 5V its a falcon if the Amps is higher its a older model.

You cant really go by the PSU brick like some say because its knows that few Jasper units was shipped with the higher wattage power brick.

You should be safe with the Splinter Cell bundle. While no console is completely free from having early issues, (Check YouTube for early occurances of Wii and PS3 failures) The Jasper 360's RRoD is just as rare. As far as I know those units will be covered for RRoD for 3 years even if you did have an issue. I've had six 360 and returned units about 8 times...none of the units I've returned were Jasper models.

you cant really go by videos on Youtube because some are faked, some error lights are mistaken for the RRoD, very few are the real thing. But yeah the old style of 360 is covered for 3 years for the RRoD and E74 error.

Edited by madmax2069

you cant really go by videos on Youtube because some are faked, some error lights are mistaken for the RRoD

Yeah but many are not and PS3 and Wii don't get RRoD so of course you couldn't go by those videos because they don't exist.

My point is all 3 consoles have examples where they broke down sometimes recently after they were bought( Granted some examples are faked), still it's easy to see when browsing video game forums (like xbox.com) or checking of gamers on YouTube these days the 360 problems happen just as infrequently as the others. :cool:

My friend has the newer low voltage system, and I have te higher voltage system and mine died. I haven't heard of to many problems with the low voltage versions, but when mine died, I went ahead and got a slim, I wanted the Wireless and the huge HDD didn't hurt any....(not that I ever came even half way to filling the 20gb drive, but still)

Honestly, other than the lower voltage to the chip, the bad design that causes board flexing and solder failure are still in all the older style 360's, so they are all going to die eventually...some will just take longer than others. I just hope the slim doesn't have the same problem.