IGNORED

Fable 3 (or Fable III)

Random Terrain

Is there really no Fable 3 thread at AtariAge where people talk about how much they like or hate the game? Now that the house payment has been lowered and possible other money might be coming in, I should be able to buy Fable 3 within a couple of months, so what do you think about the game?

Do you like it, love it, hate it? How does it compare to the other two games? After going back and playing Fable I, I appreciated many of the changes they made in Fable II. Although I hated that some of my favorite background music from Fable I was gone and that Fable II lost some of the special feeling of the first game, I'd still rather play Fable II over Fable I. So will Fable III be the same? Do you think it's better than Fable I and Fable II? I hope the people in the towns and the enemies are smarter in this game. If one more person complains that there is no ring on their finger after seeing that I'm married, I'll chop their head off.

Note:

I will request this thread to be locked if people are politically correct and won't say what they love or hate about the game. This IS NOT, and I repeat, NOT a thread for you to be wimpy and devoid of opinions. If you are an opinion-less zombie, take it somewhere else. :D

Has no one here played this game yet? Seems like at least a few people would have played it by now.

Haven't played it myself, although I have a friend who was specifically avoiding playing his copy until they released a bug patch - which they finally released the day after Epic Mickey was released. I don't know if the patch actually fixed all the things that were buggy with the game however.

I wouldn't buy it.

Wait till you can get it for free like you did Fable 2, then after you spend 100 hours playing through 5 times you can bitch how buggy that 100 hours was and be glad you didn't spend even one thin dime on it. :D

I was going to order the collectors edition shortly after it came out, because they were offering some sort of deal if you bought Fable 3 basically giving you $20 off , but Amazon was out of stock on the collector edition for weeks after that. I think I left it on my Amazon wish list so I'm going to wait till after Xmas to get it now.

From what I heard it's a lot like Fable 2 (Which was a lot like Fable) if that game captured your attention for 5 play through, my guess is you should get this one for sure! Plus the developers will be grateful for the bone you throw them this time. :thumbsup:

I read its a big let down from people not called IGN\GameInformer\Official Xbox magazine.

When the game was announced I was disappointed at how it looked\the setting.....so I was going to skip it anyway unless it got rave reviews. I just have a gut feeling that I'm not going to like it.

At this point I will be buying it when it hits the discount bins next year cause I'm still a Fable fan. :(

Thanks for the replies. Looks like everyone is being smart and waiting this time. I hope it doesn't suck. I don't want to wait until this one is free, though. I'd like to get it some time in 2011 so I'll have time to play it. If I wait until 2012 when the evil aliens reveal themselves and pretend to be good, I probably won't have time to play games. :D

I got Fable 3 tonight as an early Christmas present. Too early to tell if I like it. I kind of hated Fable 2 for a while, then started to like it more than the first Fable, so you never know.

I wouldn't pass judgment till you've spent one hundred hours out of your short life playing through it five times.

I got Fable 3 tonight as an early Christmas present. Too early to tell if I like it. I kind of hated Fable 2 for a while, then started to like it more than the first Fable, so you never know.

What! You couldn't wait till Christmas like the rest of us? :D

I'm one of the guys that loved Fable 2... i was lucky, didn't even hear/read about the games hype. As it turned out, I like it more the Oblivion! Maybe I'm just easily overwhelmed

by open environment games. Yet i had a hell of a good time with GTA3 and Burnout Paradise.

Yet those games are more arcade like, with simple gameplay...

Yes I'll get get Fable 3, next year after i play tons of Tron Evolution and Need for Speed:

Hot Pursuit.

-rick

Possible Spoilers

If you want to know absolutely nothing about the game, do not read this. I'll try not to spoil too much.

I finished the damn game already. I pushed through it, making mostly non-evil choices and the credits rolled.

Tip: Once you become king, don't do all of your daily tasks in a row or the game will be over before you know it. If you want to be good, you better stop doing what is on those lists and go out and make money to donate to the cause if you don't want millions of people to die.

Here's a spoiler you probably won't mind reading: They dumbed-down the shops. You just walk up and buy one thing. You don't talk to the guy or anything. Just walk up and buy the lousy one item sitting on a pillow or whatever it is. Fable 2 might have had a shop menu that was a pain with all of the scrolling and unneeded clicking you had to do, but at least you had choices and could take advantage of sales.

I haven't played beyond the credits, so it might be amazing, but so far Fable 3 feels like "Fable for Dummies." A short, fairly uncomplicated game for people who want to beat a game in a day or two.

Fable III was a let down. I played through it twice, (all good & all evil) and was constantly asking myself, "why did they make this menu like this?" or "why didn't they do it this way?" It feels like everything Lionhead added to the series was a step in the wrong direction. All the menus were for interacting with people were random and don't get me started on the property buying. It's extremely simple to earn millions of dollars and buy everything, but it is so annoying to have to click on every individual property every 20 minutes, scroll through a menu, and then repair it. Then go on to the next property and repeat. Could a repair all button be so hard to implement? The biggest issue with Fable III was the glitches. I was stuck in a falling glitch for a few days until I was able to get a friend to jump in my game and help me out. I've had missions repeat themselves a few times, making me replay a few of them a few times over. Add to that a lot of horrible slow-down throughout the game and it will really make you want to give up. I still look forward to the next Fable in the series, but I hope they take a few years to really overhaul the whole thing.

Well, I liked the game.

Mrs and I have been playing through a few scenarios. There are little bits of humor sprinkled throughout, and a nice chess game, if you know where to look.

We laughed at the gnomes voice overs more than once. We cursed at the same monsters more than once.

Overall, it's fun to play through with a few choices. I like that about it. Some of the discovery puzzles are a bit goofy, many were just fun.

All in all, fun game.

Fable III was a let down. I played through it twice, (all good & all evil) and was constantly asking myself, "why did they make this menu like this?" or "why didn't they do it this way?" It feels like everything Lionhead added to the series was a step in the wrong direction. All the menus were for interacting with people were random and don't get me started on the property buying. It's extremely simple to earn millions of dollars and buy everything, but it is so annoying to have to click on every individual property every 20 minutes, scroll through a menu, and then repair it. Then go on to the next property and repeat. Could a repair all button be so hard to implement? The biggest issue with Fable III was the glitches. I was stuck in a falling glitch for a few days until I was able to get a friend to jump in my game and help me out. I've had missions repeat themselves a few times, making me replay a few of them a few times over. Add to that a lot of horrible slow-down throughout the game and it will really make you want to give up. I still look forward to the next Fable in the series, but I hope they take a few years to really overhaul the whole thing.

I haven't had to redo any missions so far and no major glitches either (I downloaded the update in case that matters). I put the game on the hard drive and there was still a lot of places where everything slowed down to slug sex speed, but it doesn't seem to last long. I had an easier time making millions with Fable 2. I'm still buying stuff, though. And they really expect us to keep repairing houses individually? Even from the map, that would be a pain. Why would anyone think that's fun? It's also boring when you first buy a house (buy it, repair it, set rent to low). There should be a one-button good guy choice. Of course I'm going to repair it and set the price to low. What else would a good guy do?

Can't they get a real player from planet earth to help them with the next game? Their heads are clearly so far up their own butts and the butts of the actors that they keep forgetting they're making a game that is supposed to be fun. I have a feeling that Fable 4 is going to be one long cut scene because it's all about the actors, you know. But they won't leave you out. They'll slice up the long cut scene into 100 pieces and put them in a menu that you'll have to slowly scroll through and you'll have to click 4 times to select any piece of the cut scene (*click*, "You have selected 'Reaver Makes a Witty Remark Before He Murders Your Wife,'" *click*, a pop up appears asking if you are sure, *click*, the choice you made is now spinning in 3D, *click*). Better hurry, because there's a time limit to select the next piece of the cut scene. If you don't scroll to it and click 4 times before time is up, you'll have to watch the last cut scene again with no ability to skip it. What a game!

Edited by Random Terrain

"Nice item if you can afford it AND YOU CAN!"

There needs to be a "slap in the mouth"/"shut the f*ck up" option if a character keeps saying the same thing over and over and over again.

Thanks...you guys saved me money...I'll definitely get this next year but I'm not sure if I can tolerate it.

There is some fun to be had, but the title should be "Fable for Dummies" or "Fable Light." You will have to put up with John Cleese almost constantly pushing downloadable stuff you have to pay for. Very loose paraphrase: "Want to buy something? How about now? Change your mind? How about now. Wouldn't you like to buy something? Come on, if you don't buy something, they won't hire me for the next game! Ready to buy now? How about now? What if I got on my knees? Would that change your mind? And if I reached over and mistakenly grazed your crotch with my velvety old man hands, would that make a difference? What if your pants happened to fall down and I took out my wooden teeth, hmmm?"

I made a mistake and posted at gamespot.com. I was Googling for help and saw the quote you'll see in the link below. I wanted to reply but the thread was locked, so I made my own topic and got the usual supercilious reply you'd expect:

The reason why I want to own houses

I took the time to reply once and that's all I'm doing. I'm sure more sneering little Balverine-holes will jump in, but I don't want to waste any more time on the little beasts.

Edited by Random Terrain

Finished the game again yesterday:

When there is one hundred and twenty something days left, you better have all of your money in. The end comes up on you without warning. "I thought I had over 100 days left! What in the plucking flucker puck is going on?" The first time, I didn't do many side quests and just pushed through doing mostly the main quests to finish the game. Didn't put any money in and almost every citizen was dead in the end. This time I had 8 million in by the time the one hundred and twenty something days came along, so I had money left over and every citizen was still alive.

Edited by Random Terrain

Thanks...you guys saved me money...I'll definitely get this next year but I'm not sure if I can tolerate it.

There is some fun to be had, but the title should be "Fable for Dummies" or "Fable Light." You will have to put up with John Cleese almost constantly pushing downloadable stuff you have to pay for. Very loose paraphrase: "Want to buy something? How about now? Change your mind? How about now. Wouldn't you like to buy something? Come on, if you don't buy something, they won't hire me for the next game! Ready to buy now? How about now? What if I got on my knees? Would that change your mind? And if I reached over and mistakenly grazed your crotch with my velvety old man hands, would that make a difference? What if your pants happened to fall down and I took out my wooden teeth, hmmm?"

I made a mistake and posted at gamespot.com. I was Googling for help and saw the quote you'll see in the link below. I wanted to reply but the thread was locked, so I made my own topic and got the usual supercilious reply you'd expect:

The reason why I want to own houses

I took the time to reply once and that's all I'm doing. I'm sure more sneering little Balverine-holes will jump in, but I don't want to waste any more time on the little beasts.

I agree, when you get rabid fans that love a series so much that it can NEVER be bad or at least need any improvements it's worthless speaking to them. After all in their goblin eyes your playing the game wrong!

Simply pointing out things that can actually IMPROVE a game is completely ignored by the goblins. Anything in the game is done correctly because the Goblin King (Peter) says so.

:P

Fable III was a let down. ...

The biggest issue with Fable III was the glitches. I was stuck in a falling glitch for a few days until I was able to get a friend to jump in my game and help me out. I've had missions repeat themselves a few times, making me replay a few of them a few times over. Add to that a lot of horrible slow-down throughout the game and it will really make you want to give up. I still look forward to the next Fable in the series, but I hope they take a few years to really overhaul the whole thing.

+1. My dog keeps "levitating", and the number of graphical glitches for what is supposed to be a marquee title is simply shocking. The plot is, sadly, also quite boring.

While it's also nice that the game allows the option of developing same-sex relationships, the developers really need to rework the entire family/relationship component of the series. It's remarkably unrewarding.

+1. My dog keeps "levitating", and the number of graphical glitches for what is supposed to be a marquee title is simply shocking. The plot is, sadly, also quite boring.

So I'm not the only one with a levitating dog. My dog also wants to step left and right over and over again instead of walking to a dig spot. The dog worked a lot better in Fable 2.

Good news, tips and more complaints:

There is some good news. Although buying and selling at shops has been beaten and left for dead in Fable 3, there still are sales you can take advantage of. You just can't buy a boatload of stuff like you could in Fable 2. If you save a bunch of items over time (especially gems) and wait for a pawn shop to have a shortage, you can make a fairly good amount of money.

Cool thing you may not have seen: during the battle at the end of the game, be sure to hit the start button to visit the sanctuary.

Good thing about Fable 2 was you could get groups of people to like you at the same time. Bad thing about Fable 2 was that people who liked you would follow you around like zombies in love. The love zombie curse is pretty much gone in Fable 3, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get more than one person to like you at a time. You have to deal with individuals. And it seems the game AI has a head wound. If a person hates you and you change the reason why they hated you, they'll still hate you. You can lower taxes, lower prices, or anything else you can think of, but it won't help. You'll have to keep interacting with the person until they send you on a quest, then they won't hate you anymore. Kind of tedious, stupid, and boring.

Think twice about killing a person who runs a shop. There is a good chance the shop may never open again for the rest of the game. You'd think someone else would take the job, or you could hire someone else.

Edited by Random Terrain

• 3 months later...

http://www.destructoid.com/molyneux-fable-3-not-so-great-fable-4-must-amaze-you--196680.phtml

Anyone beleive Moly?

At this point I wont ever be getting 3.

I'm interested though in what they do with 4.

I went back to my old Xbox and started up the original Fable a few weeks ago. Man, thats brutal....I couldn't continue. It hasn't aged well at all for me.

At this point I wont ever be getting 3.

Now that there is a downloadable chunk of game you can buy that is supposedly better than the entire game of Fable 3, it might be worth getting Fable 3 when it's cheap enough used, then you can pay for the download and have some fun.

After reading the article, sounds like Molyneux wants to pack Fable 4 with even more cut scenes full of drama and 'storytelling.' I'm sure he will amaze players with the lack of interactivity. I'll use my time traveling psychic powers to tell what Molyneux is thinking after the release of Fable 4. Almost have it . . . here it comes . . . "Congratulations, nerds. You just bought a CGI movie and paid more for it than a ticket at the theater and you didn't even get any popcorn. Simpletons!" Well, it was filtered through my American brain, but you get the idea.