IGNORED

VBXE2 Output Options?

Shawn Jefferson

So, you VBXE Veterans, what is the preferred connector for RGB video output from VBXE2? 9-pin Dsub? I do have a couple of Commodore 1084 monitors, but they are in storage, and I wouldn't get as much use out of VBXE if that's my only option for output. What are the options for connection to a modern TV (VGA, composite, S-Video, Component Video)?

I actually used a 15-pin VGA female plug.

Reason being that I have saved an old VGA to EGA cable (15 one end, 9 pin on the other).

So, I just connected to the relevant pins so the 1084 gets the relevant signals.

Others have taken different approaches, from memory:

- 13 pin DIN plug as used by the ST monitors, although those aren't commonly available everywhere. Some have put them in place of the Atari monitor plug, but I think keeping it secured can be an issue. Also I imagine they'd be kinda hard to solder the wires to, pretty tight spacing.

- 9 pin DIN (?) - I think there's a way to retain compatability with the standard Atari monitor plug as well as adding the extra signals for a 1084. No idea if it works with existing cables for the 1084, I imagine you'd probably have to make your own one up.

- D9 type (like joystick or RS232) - again, not sure if an off-the-shelf cable works here or you need to make your own.

The signals you need are only R,G,B,CYsnc, GND - so in theory there's all manner of more compact plugs you could use. But in most cases you'd have to make your own monitor cable up.

If you trawl through the VBXE2 thread, you should find most of the options various people took.

Should also add - you might be at a slight disadvantage with some NTSC machines since the XLs have the channel switch. PAL ones don't have it, so it leaves just about the perfect amount of space needed for a monitor port.

Ok, for output jacks, I see a couple of options that other people have used, and I guess it's really personal preference and what works easiest for your output device.

What about converting RGB to VGA, Component Video or S-Video?

The RGB that is output from VBXE2 cannot be used with VGA in on the TV can it? (I'm assuming not).

What about the JROK convertor board, will it work?

http://www.jrok.com/hardware/RGBv4/index.html

http://www.jrok.com/hardware/RGB.html

Other conversion options?

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

http://www.amigamaniac.com/RGB_to_PAL_NTSC_adapter.html

I got one of these. Can't be powered by the Atari though, but that's probably the case with lots of others too.

VBXE output is slightly over spec for the encoder IC, so I setup a voltage divider circuit for the RGB input. It fits on a piece of scrap circuitboard about 2.5 x 1.5 cm.